Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, firstly an apology beforehand I have actually used the search function and gone square eyed reading threads through it but just wanted to be sure this would work before I go for it.

So I am looking to use a Raspberry Pi, mainly for two reasons. 1 as a media server and 2 as an emulator. The picture I have in my head is this, connect the Pi wirelessly to the network via the dongle (It will be about 2 feet away from router but I figure the wifi for the keyboard etc)

Power the Pi with a mains powered usb hub, and use a usb powered external hdd for media also powered by the hub and connect it via usb to the Pi. So basically stream the media to the tv via the Pi without the need for a computer etc.

Lastly for the emulator side, I had hoped to use one of my xbox 360 controllers but by the looks of things it looks very messy so would a bog standard usb controller be easier to configure?

Cheers for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

hey, i have 2 Raspberry Pi's they are great (i love them) but what are you thinking of emulating?? on it don't forget they are low on CPU speed and memory. but a PI can be very good for some. there is also another device most don't know about more expensive but a lot better hardware same hard ware as the galaxy S3 phone the Odroid-X2 i have one of these also and love playing with it :-)

For a media streaming device id look into the Chromecast NOT available in Ireland just yet but very soon $35 in states at present, and once you have something like a cheap NAS (just one of many sites for idea) connected to your router you can use your phone (any phone) to play your media and chose your chrome cast as play device.

for controller there are Many many drivers written for Linux and Unix that will allow you to use the Controllers with your Device
    Here's info Using an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller with Raspberry Pi

If i can be of more help please ask i love playing about with this kind of stuff :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hi there, thanks for your reply! I had looked at the nas option but kinda have my heart set on the Pi one. I realise looking at my post that a few things weren't as clear as they are in my head.

The emulator part would be old 8/16/32 bit games, and obviously the hdd would be powered through the Pi usb port if possible? Would the Pi put enough power out of the port to power the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As long as the USB is powered you shouldn't have any problems. I have an external drive connected to a powered usb hub on mine and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some USB drives need 2 connections to provide enough power, they come with a 'Y' cable

Advertisement