Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Calming Plans

Options
  • 21-08-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭

Came off the outer ring road yesterday and was driving through the roundabouts at Griffeen Aroad/Griffeen Way/Castle Road and noticed some markings painted in blue lines on the road.
    Looks like they are considering narrowing the lanes on the roundabout to one lane in each direction and make the roundabouts more awkward to navigate, thus reducing speed.
    I only saw this at those two roundabouts. Anyone notice it on any other roundabouts in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I noticed the markings last night - I was wondering if it was part of the cycleway extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

stoneill wrote: »
    I noticed the markings last night - I was wondering if it was part of the cycleway extension.

I think it is actually.
    I drove by there again during the week and it certainly didn't look like they were reducing the width of the junctions.
    It would be crazy if they did, that whole area is bad enough in the morning with the school traffic without making it more congested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Maybe it's traffic lights there putting in, although I really don't see the need if that is what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Traffic lights - seemingly!

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Traffic lights - seemingly!

Oh FFS, just what we need!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

26th August 2013 - South Dublin County Council is carrying out works on two roundabouts at Griffeen Avenue leading to Willsbrook Road in Lucan. These works will provide new pedestrian crossings at these two roundabouts. The works should take approx 9 weeks.

The Contractors working hours are 7.30am to 5.30pm with works restrictions in place between the hours of 7.00am to 10.00am and 4.00pm to 7.00pm and there is an approved Traffic Management plan in place.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=27080

Nine frikkin weeks?! You'd swear they were building a flyover!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

rgfuller wrote: »
    26th August 2013 - South Dublin County Council is carrying out works on two roundabouts at Griffeen Avenue leading to Willsbrook Road in Lucan. These works will provide new pedestrian crossings at these two roundabouts. The works should take approx 9 weeks.

The Contractors working hours are 7.30am to 5.30pm with works restrictions in place between the hours of 7.00am to 10.00am and 4.00pm to 7.00pm and there is an approved Traffic Management plan in place.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=27080

What clever clogs gave the go ahead to start these works the very week the children went back to school. There was plenty of opportunity I would have thought to carry them out during the quite summer period.

This morning at around 10 to 8 there as a mini digger driving down the road from the compound they have near the roundabout at Fforester towards the leisure centre causing great disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

josh59 wrote: »
    What clever clogs gave the go ahead to start these works the very week the children went back to school. There was plenty of opportunity I would have thought to carry them out during the quite summer period.

This morning at around 10 to 8 there as a mini digger driving down the road from the compound they have near the roundabout at Fforester towards the leisure centre causing great disruption.

You expect the Council people to have brains or common sense?

The Griffeen Way/Castle Road roundabout is a disaster now.
    Work is still underway but they've definitely narrowed the lanes and it's actually quite tight for a car to navigate the roundabout now.
    It's now comparable to the roundabout at TEK Dairies in Monkstown or the roundabout at the bottom of Avondale Road in Dalkey.

Also seems a bit pointless because the LUAS (if it ever arrives) is due to navigate that route so why waste money on the junction when it'll have to be dug up again?
    Frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Heroditas wrote: »
    Also seems a bit pointless because the LUAS (if it ever arrives) is due to navigate that route so why waste money on the junction when it'll have to be dug up again?
    Frustrating

That have to keep themselves looking busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Griffeen Way/Castle Road roundabout is a disaster now.
    Buses are having difficulty getting around it now - my bus whacks of it every time.

The one further up the road is like something off an F1 track, it is a gentle slope in turning into a almost a right angle coming off of it. I'm genuinely worried that someone will roll or crash into the pavement.

In saying all that, motorists are still doing their best to race along and blare their horn at any pedestrians with the temerity to try and cross the road. A speedbump would have been a better idea I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Cars used to go around there way too fast, so something needed to be done.

They need to hurry it up though. I cycle and can’t cross over to the other bike lane because the the path is blocked, forcing me to go out and stay on the road which is risky during school run.

They need to hurry it up though. I cycle and can’t cross over to the other bike lane because the the path is blocked, forcing me to go out and stay on the road which is risky during school run.

A ramp or two would have sufficed. It's not as if there's a scarcity of them in the area anyway.

Also, during the school run, the traffic is at its slowest due to the sheer volumes.
    Took me 25mins to get from Elmbrook to the top of Castle Road last Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hmmm wrote: »
    Buses are having difficulty getting around it now - my bus whacks of it every time.

I well believe you. I have a big car and I have to slow right down to navigate it. If a bus can't get around it without hitting a kerb, it is a design FAIL

Are these things not put in some sort of computer model when they are designed? Do they not have to be signed off for planning permission? Do they not have to be signed off by a qualified surveyor or something when the work is finished?

The mind boggles...

I went to work on my motorbike the past 3 mornings - the road around the works is £$%^&*() lethal for two wheels due to the amount of gravel and other stuff lying on the road.

And this evening coming home they had a cement mixer semi blocking the road with some eejit in a hi viz directing traffic around it with vague hand signals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The works seem to be proving confusing to motorists as well, so you need to be extra careful. I’ve seen cars stopping as if they don’t know where to go. And someone I know saw a woman driving the wrong way around the second roundabout (near the leisure centre) one of the mornings. Had another car been coming they would have collided head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I enquired with SDCC about their timing of these works, this was their reply:

The timing of the works is purely a funtcion of the funding stream availability. The Scheme must be completed within the year and funding is only available following a detailed analysis and design. In this particular case, funding became available in the Autumn after the schools had started, unfortunately. The works will be completed in approximately six weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

stoneill wrote: »
    I enquired with SDCC about their timing of these works, this was their reply:

The timing of the works is purely a funtcion of the funding stream availability. The Scheme must be completed within the year and funding is only available following a detailed analysis and design. In this particular case, funding became available in the Autumn after the schools had started, unfortunately. The works will be completed in approximately six weeks from now.

They did a detailed analysis and design? The mind boggles. Who did it? The 1st class at the local gaelscoil?

I went through it this morning, and the entry is quite narrow. It should be fun to see large delivery lorries, buses and bin lorries negotiating it.

In the early rush hour, you could still get around it, even if the traffic was backed up from the Penny Hill jn, because there were 2 lanes around it. Now, I can see cars dropping off kids at the two schools being stuck in Esker Meadows for a while.

This mess continues - my wife scraped the side of her car on a jutting out sign the other day. Looking at how narrow the finished job is going to be I fail to see how some larger cars etc are going to fit through

• Advertisement

This mess continues - my wife scraped the side of her car on a jutting out sign the other day. Looking at how narrow the finished job is going to be I fail to see how some larger cars etc are going to fit through

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they're trying to force traffic to take the more circuitous route along Elmbrook Avenue, Esker Lane, the Glebe, Esker Manor and then up Griffeen Road out into the ORR at Balgaddy.
    Can the 239 even navigate that roundabout at Castle Road now? I don't see how it can do it safely. :confused:

I thought it was very narrow too, but the buses and bin trucks find it no problem.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they're trying to force traffic to take the more circuitous route along Elmbrook Avenue, Esker Lane, the Glebe, Esker Manor and then up Griffeen Road out into the ORR at Balgaddy.
    Can the 239 even navigate that roundabout at Castle Road now? I don't see how it can do it safely. :confused:

Yeah the buses and bin trucks seem to be grand on it from I what i seen. I dont like the whole structure and hope they aren't going to change the one by Di bella also.

Apparently the reasoning for the change was to slow down the speed of traffic because of the schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Every bus I'm on goes up on the kerb to get around. Saw a coach practically stuck making several attempts to get around the one on Castle Road to go down to the schools.

I was told by a contact in the planning office that it was to improve safety for cyclists following some incidents.

Thoroughly fed up with it all now.

Bin trucks have an incredibly tight turning circle (have a look at what they can do in estates :)). I'm not surprised they have no problems with the new setup. That said, I'd be surprised if a standard Dublin bus can make it without touching the kerbs (I haven't observed any myself)

Yeah the buses and bin trucks seem to be grand on it from I what i seen. I dont like the whole structure and hope they aren't going to change the one by Di bella also.

Apparently the reasoning for the change was to slow down the speed of traffic because of the schools

The ironic thing was that it's probably safest during the school opening and closing hours because of the sheer volumes of traffic causing all the cars to crawl along.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH accidents happen at junctions

you are probably safer staying on the road where you are a first class road user and have right of way over traffic on minor roads than being on the minor road / path and having to yield to that traffic.

Would it not have been simpler to put up a speed camera there for a few weeks to hammer home the message to the minority that take the píss and punish then with points than put up a permanent solution. Better still if the camera could also do people for not indicating :mad:

Other options would have been to obstruct the view at the junction to force drivers to slow down that way.

you are probably safer staying on the road where you are a first class road user and have right of way over traffic on minor roads than being on the minor road / path and having to yield to that traffic.

I didn't realise until recently that the mandatory bike lane law had been repealed. So since that post I've been using the road. Much safer, not to mention faster. Except at school run time when you'd need wings to safely navigate the traffic around there.

Would it not have been simpler to put up a speed camera there for a few weeks to hammer home the message to the minority that take the píss and punish then with points than put up a permanent solution. Better still if the camera could also do people for not indicating :mad:

Other options would have been to obstruct the view at the junction to force drivers to slow down that way.

They put speed ramps up on Griffeen rd up from Di Bella.
    So what do people do, go on the wrong side of the road to avoid them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They put speed ramps up on Griffeen rd up from Di Bella.
    So what do people do, go on the wrong side of the road to avoid them:rolleyes:

And the rest. I encourage anyone to go have a look for themselves. It is unbelievable.

Zebra crossing, road made narrower, big flashing warning lights, road markings and speed ramps

And still many people do not stop / completely fail to realise people are crossing the zebra (and have right of way)

If I weren't more careful, I would have been killed about 10 times already on that zebra crossing

Advertisement