Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Calming Plans

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They left the road in a terrible state on Friday.

I thought this was supposed to take 9 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They left the road in a terrible state on Friday.

I thought this was supposed to take 9 weeks?

9 weeks of work spread out over 6 months. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The state of the roundabouts is brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Middle of rush hour 8.15 this morning was apparently the perfect time to drive one of those roller/compactor machines at snail's pace around the roundabout on Castle Road. Took over 10 mins just to get around. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Apparently they are due to finish this by 9th November - but as they dont work on Saturdays they'll probably drag another week out of it.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I heard that the works started without correct permissions and have been suspended.

stoneill wrote: »
    I heard that the works started without correct permissions and have been suspended.

Wouldn't surprise me it's total chaos and will be as well when they are finished - have you seem how close the zebra crossings are relative to the roundabouts - I predict massive tailbacks in the area at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

josh59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me it's total chaos and will be as well when they are finished - have you seem how close the zebra crossings are relative to the roundabouts - I predict massive tailbacks in the area at rush hour.

Yes ,with the crossings so near the roundabout, cars will have to stop, which will leave them blocking the roundabout. I can't see the logic in the works at all.

Lorry blocking 1/2 the road this morning - pretty dodgy trying to get out of Castle Riada Ave when you cant see what's coming down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I noticed this on fixyourstreet
    Thank you for your correspondence and we note your concerns. The changes you referred to to the roundabouts are being carried out to improve conditions for vulnerable road users, and as part of an overall new shared cycle lane to be constructed along the existing footpath between Griffeen and Liffey Valley. It is necessary to improve the roundabouts for cyclists and pedestrians in particular, by slowing down traffic and introducing new crossing points closer to the desire line.

When completed the roundabouts will not have any appreciable effect on traffic using them, other than slowing down approaching and exiting traffic. The roundabouts are designed for buses and bin trucks.

The main problem with traffic in the area stems from the capacity issues at the junction of Willsbrook Road and the Outer Ring Road. This junction will be examined as part of a larger Scheme to provide a cycle track between Griffeen Roundabout and Liffey Valley along the Willsbrook Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I see they've placed concrete pavements across the bus lane on the Newcastle Rd., outside Westbury. There was an issue with traffic using the bus lane to queue-skip, causing a hazard at the entrance to Westbury (indicating left, as if to go in to Westbury, instead going straight on), but to close off the bus lane completely is an idiotic piece of road engineering vandalism.

They seem determined to turn Lucan into one big gridlocked car park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shared cycle paths don't work. Even when they are segregated, as along the Fonthill road, pedestrians walk, jog, push buggies in them and refuse to move. Even if the thinking is that they are used mostly by young kids and their parents, it's a bad idea.

The one running down in front of the houses on Griffeen Way is like a gauntlet. Cars coming out of drives on one side, cars parked on the other side, and pedestrians walking in-between. You'd have to have a death wish to cycle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Again, I'd love to know how they intend to fit the LUAS through both those roundabouts if it ever gets the go-ahead.

Due to the wheel base of buses and bin lorries, I really feel there is a risk to pedestrians when the vehicles are negotiating the roundabouts. The lanes are so narrow that despite the wheels being able to navigate the junctions, the rest of the vehicle can overhang the footpath and hit a pedestrian.

"Not have any appreciable effect" - I want some of those drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Shared cycle paths don't work. Even when they are segregated, as along the Fonthill road, pedestrians walk, jog, push buggies in them and refuse to move. Even if the thinking is that they are used mostly by young kids and their parents, it's a bad idea.

The one running down in front of the houses on Griffeen Way is like a gauntlet. Cars coming out of drives on one side, cars parked on the other side, and pedestrians walking in-between. You'd have to have a death wish to cycle on it.

You have a death wish to walk on the footpath on griffeen. Twice I got taken out of it by a bike.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Again, I'd love to know how they intend to fit the LUAS through both those roundabouts if it ever gets the go-ahead.

Due to the wheel base of buses and bin lorries, I really feel there is a risk to pedestrians when the vehicles are negotiating the roundabouts. The lanes are so narrow that despite the wheels being able to navigate the junctions, the rest of the vehicle can overhang the footpath and hit a pedestrian.

"Not have any appreciable effect" - I want some of those drugs.

Luas. Ha ha. No chance.
    Actually dont want it as be slower than the bus like it is in tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I see they've placed concrete pavements across the bus lane on the Newcastle Rd., outside Westbury. There was an issue with traffic using the bus lane to queue-skip, causing a hazard at the entrance to Westbury (indicating left, as if to go in to Westbury, instead going straight on), but to close off the bus lane completely is an idiotic piece of road engineering vandalism.

They seem determined to turn Lucan into one big gridlocked car park.

Yes we will see the full idiotic plan in place in the morning as I see they have finished construction, Lot of people use the buslane to get into superquinn car park to drop kids off for the schools, this will now lead to major gridlock on this road in the mornings! What a bunch of Morons in SDCC!

Yes we will see the full idiotic plan in place in the morning as I see they have finished construction, Lot of people use the buslane to get into superquinn car park to drop kids off for the schools, this will now lead to major gridlock on this road in the mornings! What a bunch of Morons in SDCC!

It wasn't the ideal solution for sure. I would of prefer if they had did it closer to the roundabout at Superquinn. As the number of people that use that bus lane and then cut on the inside of cars turning left at the roundabout into superquinn is crazy and dangerous. This part needs to be address, either put a camera to catch them or stop it from happening

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pherekydes wrote: »

Wasn't really sure what you meant until I saw it myself a few days ago. They've just blocked up the bus lane. Madness :mad:

So buses now have to merge from the bus lane into the driving lane? :confused:

And the numerous people (myself included) taking the bus lane to take left turn into the estate or into Superquinn (so making life for everybody else easier too) can't do it any more?

If there was a problem with cars using the bus lane just to gain time and later sneaking back into the driving lane (I'm not convinced there was such a problem), would a quick phone call from the Big Man in the council to the local Garda Super (to ask for a few hours of policing the spot) not have sufficed?

Does someone have the name / phone number / email of who was responsible for this decision? We should en masse demand an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

unkel wrote: »
    Wasn't really sure what you meant until I saw it myself a few days ago. They've just blocked up the bus lane. Madness :mad:

So buses now have to merge from the bus lane into the driving lane? :confused:

And the numerous people (myself included) taking the bus lane to take left turn into the estate or into Superquinn (so making life for everybody else easier too) can't do it any more?

If there was a problem with cars using the bus lane just to gain time and later sneaking back into the driving lane (I'm not convinced there was such a problem), would a quick phone call from the Big Man in the council to the local Garda Super (to ask for a few hours of policing the spot) not have sufficed?

Does someone have the name / phone number / email of who was responsible for this decision? We should en masse demand an explanation.

There was an issue with cars using the lane to bypass standing traffic and turn into SQ. Many indicated left as if to go into the estate but carried on straight past, creating a hazard. The Gardaí policed the corner a few times, but it had little effect. The bus lane is pretty much unusable now. A better idea would have been to open the bus lane to all traffic. The bus lane is fairly pointless along there.

Advertisement