Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Fish set to close Cork office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

:eek: :( I know a few guys in there. They do the CoderDojo with McAfee. Bad ould news for them. At least there seems to be a good few tech companies hiring in Cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

very unexpected and sad for the 89 people. no job is save these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ah, nuts. It's a real pity as (IMO) most non-Irish companies only have routine, mundane development or else support staff here in Ireland.

Does anyone know what kind of development (environment) they use there? Would be nice if we could offer a few developers or designers a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

who_me wrote: »
    Ah, nuts. It's a real pity as (IMO) most non-Irish companies only have routine, mundane development or else support staff here in Ireland.

Does anyone know what kind of development (environment) they use there? Would be nice if we could offer a few developers or designers a job.

No offence intended to the staff there but a) where did you get this notion and b) what makes you think BF are anything different? Because they're a game company? As far as I am aware, the games are not designed/developed in the Cork office. I think they are more services orientated. Open to correction on that obviously but this is my understanding.

Hopefully they'll all find new roles relatively quickly. They are fortunate to be working in an industry where there is a demand for talented people. For some, this could even push them on to bigger and better things. I wish them all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Bacchus wrote: »
    No offence intended to the staff there but a) where did you get this notion and b) what makes you think BF are anything different? Because they're a game company? As far as I am aware, the games are not designed/developed in the Cork office. I think they are more services orientated. Open to correction on that obviously but this is my understanding.

Hopefully they'll all find new roles relatively quickly. They are fortunate to be working in an industry where there is a demand for talented people. For some, this could even push them on to bigger and better things. I wish them all the best.

Yeah as far as i know, they basically localise the games there. And there is a customer support section too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

also an Engeenering team but games are not developed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Bacchus wrote: »

Based on my experience, not many US 'multinationals' bring the core engineering work here. Anything that's 'global' is developed in the US, with only localisation/testing/support or a small amount of non-US specific engineering (such as GSM engineering, though that's more common in the US too now) done here. Motorola did some interesting engineering, but that's long gone. It seems to me most of the more interesting development work is coming from the smaller Irish startups.

As for why Big Fish would be any different, simply because a poster above mentioned they were "high-end" jobs, I mistook that to mean development. My mistake.

Anyhow, best of luck to the employees. I hope the 'consultation with employees' isn't another word for bargaining down their terms/rates, considering Big Fish isn't exactly floundering (if you forgive the pun) - 11 years of record sales.

Advertisement