Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss asking strange questions

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been in my job for nearly 3 years now and get on very well with my employer. I know I am very good at my job by results I have gotten and my employer has told me the same, as well as that my employer has given me result related bonuses and every year I have been there I have been given a raise - not all employees in the company have been given raises.

Every 6 months or so my employer and I, who I work very closely with, take a week or so where we examine our work practices and see if there is anywhere we can tighten up. Prior to my arrival at the company my employer went through a period of about 5 years where the company was very unsettled, the staff came and went and were very noncommittal so it has taken the 3 years I have worked there to "pick up the pieces" so to speak so we have been implementing new, better work practices gradually to move on for that shaky period. We also look at any changes we have made over the previous 6 months to make sure they have been changes for the better and how they have improved the company.
    This week we were having our "review" and my employer asked me a number of strange questions, told me to consider them and come back with my answers.
    The questions were:
    1. What can I do for my employer?
    2. What can I do for the company?
    3. What can I do that only I can do?

I found these questions quite strange and I am really unsure how to answer them. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Heya,

To be honest I don't think those questions are too odd. In fact they are similar to the questions I've always been asked in performance reviews.

1 & 2 are very alike though. Is the company a large one or small. And get them to clarify if employer means your direct boss or is it your department. If it is that then I'd focus in in your answer on your role & what you do on a day to day basis.

Question 2 would be more in the case of how your role fits in to the company as a whole & what you do that benefits not just your department but the whole company.

Question 3 is a very interview type question. What can you do that you can do better than everyone else that benefits your employer. It is a bit of a "why should we keep you" kinda thing. I'd focus on things that you feel you've brought to the table that others may not have thought of etc.

It's hard to give specific examples without knowing the sector you're in but hope this helps.

Advertisement