Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground Limerick

• 21-08-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I went to the architecture lunchtime lecture in the Hunt museum yesterday where I found out about Georgian tunnels under Limerick.
    Unfortunately, some of them were filled with cement: http://bocktherobber.com/2011/03/obliterating-hidden-georgian-limerick/ but last year some people went down and walked around in the remaining ones: http://www.softday.ie/wld2012/

I'm only discovering all this now, but I'm really interested in it. Does anyone know of a way I could look around and explore them? Who would I go to to get permission?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Love to have a potter around down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

As long as they are not used like this again robbery using sewers

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

Would there be any potential for tourism here? Not really familiar with the tunnels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Finton90 wrote: »
    Would there be any potential for tourism here? Not really familiar with the tunnels

Quite possibly — tours of the old sewer tunnels in Brighton are very popular:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186273-d2469738-Reviews-Brighton_Sewer_Tour-Brighton_East_Sussex_England.html
    http://sewertours.southernwater.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Finton90 wrote: »

Interesting article.
    "burglariously entered"... what a turn of phrase!

I remember being at a City Council meeting when John Gilligan spoke about being in some tunnel as a child that you could look up to the sky in the daytime and see the stars! I think it might have been part of a secret escape tunnel from the old city hall (for the protection of the city fathers!), but open to correction on that.

I think some of the major street upgrading work in recent years may have filled in some of the tunnels/sewers (Henry St, Sarsfield St, William St), but I'm open to correction on this as well.
    There's definitely some tourist potential there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

MomijiHime wrote: »
    I went to the architecture lunchtime lecture in the Hunt museum yesterday where I found out about Georgian tunnels under Limerick.
    Unfortunately, some of them were filled with cement: http://bocktherobber.com/2011/03/obliterating-hidden-georgian-limerick/ but last year some people went down and walked around in the remaining ones: http://www.softday.ie/wld2012/

I'm only discovering all this now, but I'm really interested in it. Does anyone know of a way I could look around and explore them? Who would I go to to get permission?

Why not contact the Softday people and see how they arranged it? Failing that you could always ask in Burke's bar as it seems that they gained entry here - either though the basement of the building or a nearby manhole. I'd be very interested in going along for a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was down in the basement under where the Timberland store now is on O' Connell street some years ago.

Was before Timberland came and whilst the unit was still empty and available to rent. The old bank vault was gone and you could walk out so that you underneath the footpath and then under the lane of traffic nearest where the shop is.

Had to bring torches etc as there was no power there, but the distinctive red/orange brickwork could be seen as well as the shapes of the old arches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Similar carry on in Dublin with luas cross city. Cellar fill on Parnell St, Dominic street area. Can't even understand why the need for fill. If they can build roads on top of these structures why not the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Similar carry on in Dublin with luas cross city. Cellar fill on Parnell St, Dominic street area. Can't even understand why the need for fill. If they can build roads on top of these structures why not the Luas.

Cellar fill is for underground, not running above them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

The cellars of the Georgian House on Pery Square were part of the tour when it was open to the public. I'm sure they'ed let you have a gawk if you ask nicely. I think the city of culture owns it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

It depends on the condition of the underground structure and the load that will travel overhead.These sewers/cellars are very old and were not constructed with the weight of todays traffic in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I had a look through the bocktherobber blog and it brought back memories of a summer job working in one of those cellars in the photographs. It was a horrible environment and I can still remember the smell of it to this day but it's sad that due to the shortsightedness of our council they are being lost forever. I was in Bratislava a couple of years ago and ate in a restaurant in a similar underground vault. Even if we don't develop the remaining vaults now we should at least make them safe and preserve them for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

db wrote: »
    I had a look through the bocktherobber blog and it brought back memories of a summer job working in one of those cellars in the photographs. It was a horrible environment and I can still remember the smell of it to this day but it's sad that due to the shortsightedness of our council they are being lost forever. I was in Bratislava a couple of years ago and ate in a restaurant in a similar underground vault. Even if we don't develop the remaining vaults now we should at least make them safe and preserve them for the future.

doesn't the Corn Store in Thomas St have this too? not been in there since it was the olde tom - many years ago but remember some kinda bunkers in there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

db wrote: »

the city fathers will plead lack of funds to do them up, they may interfeer with junkets to very far off places, china comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Stockholm utilizes its tunnels, plenty of bars and restaurants have converted them. Doesn't the club in Au Bars have one? Vaguely remember sitting in there langers one night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

leakyboots wrote: »
    Doesn't the club in Au Bars have one? Vaguely remember sitting in there langers one night

Yep, it does indeed. It's pretty cool.

Probably the only part of that bar I like. :pac:

Some old escape tunnels I explored at a hidden location in Co.Limerick. They're pretty easy to find with a bit of research :)

6083680C7D7B41CA88EDAB72E25D3A28-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The celler in Supermacs O Connell St goes out half way under the road lots of nooks and crannys down there, its used as packaging store AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I have said countless times they should pick one or two routes and do them up, would be a great tourist draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

kilburn wrote: »
    I have said countless times they should pick one or two routes and do them up, would be a great tourist draw.

Would be worth €10m to the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

:rolleyes:

Advertisement