Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replanting Virginia creeper from pot to purpose cut hole in path

• 21-08-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I started growing a virginia creeper this spring and it has taken quite well. I am finding that I am having to water the pla268427.jpgnt every couple of days.

As you can see from my attached jpeg the position of the pot from the house is only approx 1 foot from the house...

I am thinking about cutting a hole in the path the size of the flower pot and then cutting the base off the flower pot and then inserting it into the hole I made in the path...

My biggest concern is will I damage the structure of the house, foundations in years to come and also I am unsure of the location and depth of the services coming into the house...

Does anyone have any thoughts our ideas on this for me please.... Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I started growing a virginia creeper this spring and it has taken quite well. I am finding that I am having to water the plant every couple of days.

As you can see from my attached jpeg the position of the pot from the house is only approx 1 foot from the house...

I am thinking about cutting a hole in the path the size of the flower pot and then cutting the base off the flower pot and then inserting it into the hole I made in the path...

My biggest concern is will I damage the structure of the house, foundations in years to come and also I am unsure of the location and depth of the services coming into the house...

Does anyone have any thoughts our ideas on this for me please.... Thanks in advance...

No piccy to clicky.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

paddy147 wrote: »
    No piccy to clicky.....:pac:

Sorry Paddy, just uploaded it now....

I started growing a virginia creeper this spring and it has taken quite well. I am finding that I am having to water the pla268427.jpgnt every couple of days.

I think you can say good bye to all that nice growth there,if you want to place it down in the ground.
    All that growth will have attached itself to the walls and you will quite possibly damage it and kill it off when trying to remove it off the walls.

The concrete path is probably 100-150mm depth and wont be a part of the house structure itself.
    Under the path will most probabaly be muck,rubble and hardcore.
    So you might want to add in some fresh soil,compost and some manure too...if you want to plant it in the ground.

You will also want to plant it out off the wall,so that you give it a chance to spread roots and get some rain,as the shadow of the house will prevent it from getting rain.

Check with the county council or builder where the services are and if they are not in that area,simply get a consaw and cut out a square patch in the concrete.
    Then get a hilti drill or a good SDS hammer drill with a chisel bit and drill/break up the square of concrete.

Thanks paddy.... Just what I was thinking...

Would you just leave it as is or possible get a larger pot to out it into?

Thanks paddy.... Just what I was thinking...

Would you just leave it as is or possible get a larger pot to out it into?

If you want the front of the house to be covered in it,in years to come,then Id go for it and plant in the ground.

Or if you dont wish to do that,then maybe a large big square planter pot.

If it were me,then Id go with the ground option,but thats just me.

Its your house,your plant and your choice.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    If you want the front of the house to be covered in it,in years to come,then Id go for it and plant in the ground.

Or if you dont wish to do that,then maybe a large big square planter pot.

If it were me,then Id go with the ground option,but thats just me.

Its your house,your plant and your choice.:)

That is one big plant pot.... Think I will go down the route of planting it directly into the ground. Thanks for the feedback paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Think long and hard before proceeding with the plant. We had one for some years and it started to take over the house walls and guttering so we removed it with great difficulty.

Looks lovely on someone elses house though. :)

That is one big plant pot.... Think I will go down the route of planting it directly into the ground. Thanks for the feedback paddy

Thats only the baby.

You should see its momma..:D...........(5 feet tall,5 feet wide and 5 feet deep).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Hitchens wrote: »
    Think long and hard before proceeding with the plant. We had one for some years and it started to take over the house walls and guttering so we removed it with great difficulty.

Looks lovely on someone elses house though. :)

totally agree, climbers can damage plaster, brick, gutters, slates etc.
    Plant it somewhere else, well away from your house is my advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Also have you seen the pretty little patterns the suckers make on your wall when you (eventually) have to haul lumps of it down?

• Advertisement

peadar76 wrote: »
    totally agree, climbers can damage plaster, brick, gutters, slates etc.
    Plant it somewhere else, well away from your house is my advice

Thats why (when its fully covering the wall of a house) you cut/trim it back 1-2 times a year,so it doesnt wrap around gutters or grow up onto roof tiles.
    Virginia Creeper is lovely climber (comes in various forms and types) and does look lovely on house fronts where its foliage is rather impressive in summertime and in autumn/winter as the leaves go red and die off.

The Virginia Creeper does need to be maintained,I mean they are a climber and will grow and grow and grow,if not looked after and clipped back.
    A simple clip/prune 1-2 times a year and training it up and out,and it will look lovely and wont damage/destroy the OPs house or brickwork.

The OP can easily train/prune/clip it so that it only cover the ground floor area of the house,or if he wants to have it cover the entire house front in years to come.

As with anything to do with gardening and planting/training....you get out of it what you put into it......(time and effort).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vanner

I had a similar problem, I cut the bottom out of a larger pot replanted root ball into this and underneath pot cleared rubble etc and filled with compost. Topped uP with compost every few months, it went a little bit into shock but took off again with feeding. By keeping it in pot it protects rootball but can continue to grow with bottom taken out

Vanner wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, I cut the bottom out of a larger pot replanted root ball into this and underneath pot cleared rubble etc and filled with compost. Topped uP with compost every few months, it went a little bit into shock but took off again with feeding. By keeping it in pot it protects rootball but can continue to grow with bottom taken out

Hi Vanner, Cheers for the feedback.... Any chance of a pic?

Advertisement