Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree type

• 21-08-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

can I have help naming this tree, it's roughly 60 ft tall

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that is an ash tree - you can tell by the keys (the seeds hanging from it) and the leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

that is an ash tree - you can tell by the keys (the seeds hanging from it) and the leaves.
    Thanks.
    the guy wants me to cut a couple of the arms off the tree with a chainsaw, I know ash is known as a hardwood but does it cut easy?
    He has a sycamore trunk that is a bastard to cut so if the ash is as tough as this I wouldn't bother

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

who is 'the guy'? is he paying you to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

who is 'the guy'? is he paying you to do this?
    nah, he's an old guy that lives across the road. He wouldn't have the shillings to get proper tree surgeons or gardeners in to do it, I've used chainsaws before on trees so I'm not a complete novice I was just wondering; a) what type of tree it is and b) does this type of tree cut easy or is it solid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I forsee a good youtube clip coming..

Que, bloke with chainsaw, knocks half a tree on garden shed and neighbour looses the plot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Hannibal wrote: »
    nah, he's an old guy that lives across the road. He wouldn't have the shillings to get proper tree surgeons or gardeners in to do it, I've used chainsaws before on trees so I'm not a complete novice I was just wondering; a) what type of tree it is and b) does this type of tree cut easy or is it solid?

Ash cuts easily enough and burns brilliantly

actually, i would disagree on ash burning brilliantly. it's the best wood for burning 'green', because it has a lower natural moisture content than most other woods, but it's not a patch on oak or beech once seasoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

peadar76 wrote: »
    Ash cuts easily enough and burns brilliantly

Very true - but for best results it should be stored for a year or so before you burn it.

actually, i would disagree on ash burning brilliantly. it's the best wood for burning 'green', because it has a lower natural moisture content than most other woods, but it's not a patch on oak or beech once seasoned.

it may not be quite as good as oak or beech, but its still very good, especially when compared to forestry timber. And it's great to be able to burn it green. Cut it, block it, burn it. F*ck storing it for a year

you're drastically reducing the amount of heat you can get out of wood if you don't season it. plus, it's not good for your chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you're drastically reducing the amount of heat you can get out of wood if you don't season it. plus, it's not good for your chimney.

Or your stove/liner either.

You wont get a good draw from the liner and your stoves suffers as a result.

to be fair to ash, it has a moisture content of about 35% when green, which compares to over 50% for the likes of oak. which is why it is known for being able to burn green.

bbam wrote: »
    I forsee a good youtube clip coming..

Que, bloke with chainsaw, knocks half a tree on garden shed and neighbour looses the plot :D

Rednecks and chainsaws dont mix....:pac::eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

can I have help naming this tree, it's roughly 60 ft tall

I would suggest that from the above that you are a novice as you can't ID one of the most common trees in ireland and are risking your neck unnecessairly, get a professional in! :D That size tree will kill you easily.

obviously the right advice is to get an expert to do it, especially if you're unsure. But personally I'd do it myself. The OP isn't wanting to cut down a full vertical tree, just overhanging branches, if i understand him correctly. Make sure you know exactly where the branch is going to fall, and make sure you're standing in a stable position when making the cut. If cut correctly and the branch isn't vertical then it should fall where you expect it to. And have someone with you when you're doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

And have someone with you when you're doing it.

+1
    Good advice for anyone using a chainsaw etc.

And have someone with you when you're doing it.
    with a video camera, so the fees from 'you've been framed' can help pay for your medical help.

This is a job for a propper/fully qualified and insured tree surgeon/arborist.

For everones health and safety,for the safety of peoples buildings and land and also for the trees future health and safety too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

it may not be quite as good as oak or beech, but its still very good, especially when compared to forestry timber. And it's great to be able to burn it green. Cut it, block it, burn it. F*ck storing it for a year

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

He has a sycamore trunk that is a bastard to cut so if the ash is as tough as this I wouldn't bother

Sounds like the chain was/is blunt.

paddy147 wrote: »
    This is a job for a propper/fully qualified and insured tree surgeon/arborist.

For everones health and safety,for the safety of peoples buildings and land and also for the trees future health and safety too.

depends on what is to be done. If it's trimming a few branches that can be safely done by anyone with a bit of cop on then why pay good money to someone else to do it? Trimming a few branches would be a very simple job for a lot of people.

An I'm not talking about cutting down a massive tree that is right beside a house, so I don't need to see any youtube videos of what can go wrong

If it's trimming a few branches that can be safely done by anyone with a bit of cop on

peader76, the op is clearly not talking twigs here from the photos, and the tree in the photo is not to be taken lightly, "cop on" is a very relative term. "Safely done by anyone" is another huge generalised overstatement too. A fool and his limbs are soon parted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't see that taking a couple of branches off that thing would make a whole lot of difference to anything. Is he talking about you cutting off that nearer trunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

depends on what is to be done. If it's trimming a few branches that can be safely done by anyone with a bit of cop on then why pay good money to someone else to do it? Trimming a few branches would be a very simple job for a lot of people.

An I'm not talking about cutting down a massive tree that is right beside a house, so I don't need to see any youtube videos of what can go wrong
    Cop on is a very subjective term, knowing how to use a chain saw and using one correctly and safely are very different.
    You pay a professional for their expertise and know how, would you plumb or wire your house because I told you any auld fella with abit of "cop on" could do it, no you wouldn't because its potentially dangerous to you and your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Yup ash is the "readiest" to burn from the cut. In my experience I find beech is probably the best. Or if you have the needs to let oak dry out for a very long time. Can I also throw cherry in there? I've been burning seasoned cherry "prunus" and it's amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Sorry bit slow loading!!! New out and that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OAK logs will warm you well,
    If they're old and dry.
    LARCH logs of pine wood smell,
    But the sparks will fly.
    BEECH logs for Christmas time,
    YEW logs heat well.
    SCOTCH logs it is a crime,
    For anyone to sell.

BIRCH logs will burn too fast,
    CHESTNUT scarce at all
    HAWTHORN logs are good to last,
    If you cut them in the fall
    HOLLY logs will burn like wax
    You should burn them green
    ELM logs like smouldering flax
    No flame to be seen

PEAR logs and APPLE logs,
    they will scent your room.
    CHERRY logs across the dogs,
    Smell like flowers in bloom
    But ASH logs, all smooth and grey,
    burn them green or old;
    Buy up all that come your way,
    They're worth their weight in gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Op if are planning to cut any branches out, I would wait till the Winter, with no leaves you'll see if other branches will get caught up with each other.
    A Cut and trapped branch can be lethal don't do this without thought.
    And Never use a chainsaw alone, And have a good chain on your saw it will be safer and quicker.
    I've been around chainsaws for 30 years and more, I've seen the damage they can do to person, don't rush and don't get over your head

I find that Ash trees are prone to breaking easily at joints, be wary of putting on weight on a Large branch as its possible to have it break/snap.. Good luck with your "Job"

• Advertisement

Ash is known as the "widow maker" in our trade for good reason! ;)

Advertisement