Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree type

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I find sycamore very brittle too, only need to go nearly halfway then can shatter like glass.

disconcerting when you are 16yrs old and you father says "can you and your friend take down that small sycamore"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

actually, i would disagree on ash burning brilliantly. it's the best wood for burning 'green', because it has a lower natural moisture content than most other woods, but it's not a patch on oak or beech once seasoned.

Where do you get oak or beech firewood? I'm guessing that you've chopped/ sourced it yourself. When I buy logs they're usually pine wood. (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I wouldn't have a clue where to even begin looking for oak or beech firewood. What is in Centras?

Depends where you are in the country also there are firms online that supply kild dried and/or seasoned logs that are normally beech or ash I believe.

Another option is to make friends with a few local tree surgeons and see if they can give a nod when they have suitable stuff although alot of people now are keeping what they have cut down.

I remember only 7+ years ago in the UK a tree surgeon friend of mine could barely give the stuff away if anyone ever wanted logs he would deliver them and just charge for his diesel, it saved him having to burn them on his storage site!

He had about 3 20' high piles of timber in his yard that were to be bonfired!

Don't forget whatever you get from a tree surgeon will need to be seasoned if not already for at least one year preferably under cover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my father in law bought a load of (green) oak tree rings last year. despite what i advised him, he burnt them all within months of buying and splitting them. and ruined the wooden shed he decided to store them in, which is now a mycologist's wet dream.

my father in law bought a load of (green) oak tree rings last year. despite what i advised him, he burnt them all within months of buying and splitting them. and ruined the wooden shed he decided to store them in, which is now a mycologist's wet dream.

Did he keep the shed door shut then magic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep; the shed was pretty much airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

Have a pile of cherry and beech, few other hardwoods split and stacked on a pallets in the yard. Built a roof over them but left the rest open. Breeze has been passing through nicely and although they've only been there a couple of months they are so much drier. I'm gonna burn them this winter and I know they'll be ready. If you (anyone) wants good timber you have to go out and get your hands dirty if your going for a serious bargain. That or buy your local arborist pints!!

yep; the shed was pretty much airtight.

That would do it, nice and musty...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

now a mycologist's wet dream.
    :D very good:D

Advertisement