Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking - Regional Hospital

• 21-08-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I need to take someone out to the Regional tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) for an appointment.

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to find parking in the pay car parks or should I be looking at parking somewhere else? I'm happy to pay for the car park if I can get a space.

I used to find it fine before the renovations started but the last time I went out I got a lift out and back. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get a lift this time.

If anyone can help please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Arrive early and head across the road to the free car park or check the road outside and even if the free car park is full park inside the entrance allowing people to pass and wait. Somebody will come along soon enough and leave.

Or

The pay parking is not so bad these days so if you like paying then go ahead. Personally I pay enough taxes let alone paying more to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pay parking isn't too bad, free car park can full as some seem to use it as a P&R to town. You could park nearer Raheen and walk or park in the Crescent SC and bus/walk to hospital. I think they clamp in the petrol station and across the road so be careful about using there as a free car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

phog wrote: »
    Pay parking isn't too bad, free car park can full as some seem to use it as a P&R to town. You could park nearer Raheen and walk or park in the Crescent SC and bus/walk to hospital. I think they clamp in the petrol station and across the road so be careful about using there as a free car park.

I don't think there is any free parking in the grounds of the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

juneg wrote: »
    I don't think there is any free parking in the grounds of the hospital.

The free parking is as mentioned in BBs post ( the one previous to my op) on the public road and the car park opp the regional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks everyone. Your input is very much appreciated.

The Free Parking is opposite the hospital near the Ambulance centre and I generally use that when visiting people in hospital. Unfortunately, as others have stated, it tends to fill up very quickly particularly during clinics and visiting times.

And other parking in the area can be difficult. I had to have one of the children out at a clinic once a week for a while a few years ago and became aware of all of the clamping spots including Supermacs ;)

The pay parking isn't too bad but I was concerned about capacity because of all the building work.

The good news is that it looks as if I will be getting a lift out. Hubby thinks he has managed to rearrange a few things at work so that he can drop me out.

Hopefully the information in this thread will benefit someone else heading out to the Regional.

Again, I really appreciate all the help given. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ended up out at the regional in middle of the night last night - did I miss something or is the only pay parking all around the back ? looked very dark and lonely back there. parked out front of hospital on road - Mrs Simpsons didn't fancy having to walk back there in dark on own.

on an aside - saw young girl having to hop out of casualty with bandages from ankle to knee. have things gotten so bad they don't have crutches anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Probably no medical insurance

Could be running low. As far as I know hospitals wont generally take back crutches from people because they're not tested/approved and if somebody falls on them because they were not in good working order then the HSE hasn't got a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Could be running low. As far as I know hospitals wont generally take back crutches from people because they're not tested/approved and if somebody falls on them because they were not in good working order then the HSE hasn't got a leg to stand on.
    Of course the HSE have no leg to stand on. It does not have a heart, brain, chest, arms, liver, stomach or hands either. It just a name legally created to spend money, legally hide behind and blame things on when things go wrong.

Without a brain the HSE cannot be insulted or feel loss. Without a body it cannot be physically hurt or get sick.

As for parking I see staff parking on avonmore road and walking into the hospital in the morning. Too far for sick patients weak elderly to walk to the Hospital!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Hubby dropped us out - which was good. As I think I'd have been looking at parking in Ballyhea or Charleville otherwise :D:D

Process was pleasant and quick. Patient was seen within 20 minutes of arrival, will have (non-emergency, minor, local anaesthetic) surgery on Monday afternoon.

I'm happy and impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If you go in a Hiace or Transit van, you seem to be allowed to park right up by the door. Wear a vest as well.

seachto7 wrote: »
    If you go in a Hiace or Transit van, you seem to be allowed to park right up by the door. Wear a vest as well.

In fact there are two spaces at the in patients section you can park in and never get abused. The parking enforcement guy told me to park there. It's just where the cobbled area ends as though you are finished dropping somebody off and leave. After that section you can park two cars along it before you hit the no parking chevrons.

I always park there when the missus has an out patient appointment and he NEVER asks me to move. I could be there 1.5 hours and he might drive past me 50 times.

Advertisement