Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Desserts

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Is there such a thing? I am making a dessert for a health concious person at the weekend and I would usually makes sponge cakes but something like that won't suit.

Any suggestions for me?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Homemade meringues, fresh fruit and natural yogurt? I know meringues are pure sugar but you could make small ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

+1 for the fruit and yogurt. You could make a lovely fruit salad with pineapple, melon and strawberries. Scoop out some passion fruit and mix with the natural yogurt to make it sweet and tasty.

If you want to bake something, try this banana "bread" (cake). I've made it loads of times and it's so tasty and moist, but uses wholemeal flour is quite low in sugar:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1241405/Recipe-Wholemeal-banana-bread-poppy-seeds.html

Or you could try these chocolate muffins - they don't contain any flour and are very low in sugar. (I haven't tried them myself yet though.)
    http://greenlitebites.com/2013/06/09/flour-less-chocolate-cupcakes/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Another nice alternative to cream with meringues is mascarpone - you just need to add a little milk to loosen it and then beat it. It's particularly good with raspberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Some really nice ideas there, thanks everyone :). I love the sound of the banana bread Bluecherry74 & there is no butter! I think I might consider making that with a nice fruit salad on the side with natural yoghurt. I'd say it will go down a treat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What kind of health-conscious are they? Trying to lose weight kind of health conscious, or likes local natural products like eggs and dairy and avoids artificial substitutes kind of health-conscious?

I cook for a diabetic member of our extended family the odd time. I usually do something with a sugar-free jelly for her. It's a sugar substitute though.

Layered jelly mould with fruit.

Pavlova is ok too, it comes in under her sugar allowance.

Sorbet or frozen yoghurt sundae with sprinkled nuts can be fun.

Or cheese and crackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Or you could try these chocolate muffins - they don't contain any flour and are very low in sugar. (I haven't tried them myself yet though.)
    http://greenlitebites.com/2013/06/09/flour-less-chocolate-cupcakes/

I just made these to bring in to work tomorrow and they're delicious. Not as sweet as a regular muffin but lovely and moist. You'd never know they weren't made with flour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What about a cheese board?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

pwurple wrote: »
    What kind of health-conscious are they? Trying to lose weight kind of health conscious, or likes local natural products like eggs and dairy and avoids artificial substitutes kind of health-conscious?

I cook for a diabetic member of our extended family the odd time. I usually do something with a sugar-free jelly for her. It's a sugar substitute though.

Layered jelly mould with fruit.

Pavlova is ok too, it comes in under her sugar allowance.

Sorbet or frozen yoghurt sundae with sprinkled nuts can be fun.

Or cheese and crackers.

The person is health concious in the way they are trying to just eat natural foods with not much added to them & he is trying to lose weight but that is not the main reason to his diet, just wants to be eating more fibre etc than anything fatty. So I think that a cheese platter etc would not be good. I like the sound of the layered jelly moulds. What kind of moulds did you use for that?

Any non stick cake tin would do.. I use a silicone mould.

Tricky bit is getting the jelly out of an intricate mould. I make it up with less water than it recommends, and dunk the mould in hot water for a few seconds to release on to a plate.

You could do ones in little muffin size pans though. Orange ones would be supercute topped with berries on plates! Like little fat free sugar free wobbly pannacottas. :)

Might need to lightly oil pan first.

Just adding this... Could do two different colours, in nice glasses... Check out the pic here.
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_15473952_fruit-jelly-with-berries-in-glasses-on-wooden-table-on-pink-background.html

One more, cos pears are yummo this time of year.

Poached pears. Mmmmmm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement