Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee nest, should landlord pay to have it removed.

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Ok straight to the point, my sister is renting a property, in there over a year, never any problems and of there is ie a broken dishwasher the landlord sorts it.
    Over the last few days a lot of wasp have been hanging around the garden, I called up and had a look around the usual spots for a hive / nest and finally found a large hedge in her tree full of the culprits.

Now the question , should she pay to have it removed or is that the landlords job ?

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

zack01 wrote: »
    Ok straight to the point, my sister is renting a property, in there over a year, never any problems and of there is ie a broken dishwasher the landlord sorts it.
    Over the last few days a lot of wasp have been hanging around the garden, I called up and had a look around the usual spots for a hive / nest and finally found a large hedge in her tree full of the culprits.

Now the question , should she pay to have it removed or is that the landlords job ?

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the landlord. I wouldn't ask my landlord to pay, and nor would I expect my tenants to call me about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Maybe if you brought the nest into the house, riled it up a bit THEN called the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Motopepe

is it bees or wasps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If it's bees then call up the beekeepers association and I'm sure a local beekeeper will come and take them away.

If its wasps then I'm not so sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It actually is the landlords responsibilty(especially if there are children living there!)
    As previous poster said, beekeepers are so easily found, weirdly, and will help.
    Wasps though? Can of lynx, a lighter and 2 minutes. Or a black/cloth bag and some bravery if you're one of them hippies.

(Wasps are all but the most pointless hurtful creatures in all creation. Burn them at will and with god/universes blessing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Get wasp killer spray found in any hardware shop.
    Wear lots of clothing.
    Wait till night,
    Spray the nest well.
    Run away.

Problem solved, not that hard if you can find the nest.
    This is presuming its wasps not bees. If bees someone would possibly pay you to come over and take it away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Be very careful.
    If you can't determine whether or not its bees or wasps- I'd be more inclined to call an exterminator who will do the job cleanly for you- and there wouldn't be the risk of you or your children getting stung.
    Talk to the landlord about splitting the cost of an exterminator- seems like a reasonable course of action.

If its bees- as above- you'll have no shortage of beekeepers only too happy to collect it from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn't expect it to be the landlords responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I had this problem out our back garden (wasps). We soaked the nest in petrol, lit a match and ran like hell. Might not be a practical solution for you but it felt good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

I had this problem a few months back . I noticed a lot of bees going in and out of my shed so I knew there was a nest n there I tried to get a beekeeper out to get rid of them but I was never around when he was in the area and he then stopped responding to my voice mails ,I had to get an exterminator in the end to get rid of them which the landlord paid for , i think it cost €90. It was a shame they had to be exterminated but with my wife being allergic and having a toddler they had to be gotten rid of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

I would expect a landlord to pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

david75 wrote: »
    (Wasps are all but the most pointless hurtful creatures in all creation. Burn them at will and with god/universes blessing)

Wasps do have useful functions, not least pollination.

They also predate insects and help keep pest populations under control. Paper wasps carry caterpillars and leaf beetle larvae back to their nests to feed their young. Thus removing pests which threaten crops.

They provide free pest control services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Rentokil will do a wasp nest for EUR 50 if booked online. Next day service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Beekeepers will pay you for the bees. Wasps you will have to pay. Neither is the responsibility of the LL. They are in the garden through no fault of his, but he sounds like a decent sort, so you should call and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

As a landlord, I'd tell you to buzz off!

Seriously though, the garden maintenance is the responsibility of the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If its wasps, do what you want.

If its bees, dont kill them. Get onto the beekeepers association. Bees are remarkably rare thesedays.

http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/minimum_standards_feb_2013.pdf

According to Threshold, the 2009 amendments to the Housing Acts updated the definition of "Proper State of Structural Repair" to include (amongst other things) gardens:

The 2009 Regulations strengthened significantly the definition of what constitutes a proper state of structural repair and states that ‘roofs, roofing tiles, slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascias, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas must be maintained in good condition and repair. They must not be defective due to dampness or otherwise.’

Would this situation not be covered? I assumed this was why my landlord was taking care of it at my place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

According to Threshold, the 2009 amendments to the Housing Acts updated the definition of "Proper State of Structural Repair" to include (amongst other things) gardens:

Would this situation not be covered? I assumed this was why my landlord was taking care of it at my place. :)

I think if the gardens aren't allowed be damp, Landlords all over the country will be rather worried.

Slightly less uselessly: The Landlord didn't allow the wasps to land there, and I don't think one should reasonably be expected to take care of a relatively minor situation he didn't create, and isn't able to take precautions against. I'd take care of it myself were it wasps. Be it bees, bing a beekeeper.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that an insect nest in the garden constitutes it not being in "Proper State of Structural Repair"?

Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,527 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Landlord Muat provide them with the equipment to maintain it. so if the landlord provides a lawn mower then th etenant must cut the grass. but if ther is no lawn mower then the landlord must cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If they are bees please do not have them exterminated!!! Bees are very rare and there is absolutely no need to have them remvoed. Are they actually causing you any kind of problem, other than buzzing around your garden a bit?

You know other animals have as much right to be here as we do. You cant just go round exterminating everything at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Interesting that the landlords here think the tenant should pay and that the tenants here think the landlord should pay...

Whatever you do decide to do, at least let the landlord know and please don't do the "soak with petrol & run away" trick because that fire could spread and risk other property.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Zulu wrote: »
    Are you honestly trying to tell me that an insect nest in the garden constitutes it not being in "Proper State of Structural Repair"?

Seriously??

Eh, it comes under "garden" in the 2009 regulations, something you were pretty happy to let the tenant assume responsibility of as part of "garden maintainence"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

at night get a can of fly spray
    and spray nest and around it
    I will kill off wasps

but if wasps are one no harm leave it
    the eat her insects and are good for gardden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I think one of the advantages of renting is that the landlord must actually look after the property (per threshold above). I wonder what the law would say if a tenant had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting while INSIDE the house, after requesting that the property owner remove a nest in the garden. The landlords on this site are like something from a dickens novel, but less well spoken. ITS MY HOUSE BUT YOU FIX IT YERSELF wid petredil and matches!

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Slightly less uselessly

Sorry that you find Threshold and the Housing Acts useless.

No, but you have said categorically that "the garden maintenance is the responsibility of the tenant", which doesn't appear to be the case, certainly isn't in my case and I'm ASKING if this COULD be covered.

todders wrote: »
    Eh, it comes under "garden" in the 2009 regulations, something you were pretty happy to let the tenant assume responsibility of as part of "garden maintainence"
    Seriously, what?
    How does an insect nest in the garden constitute the garden not being in a "Proper State of Structural Repair"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Tenants are not responsible for garden maintenance. The landlord should pay for removal of the nest. Its the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

zack01 wrote: »

What's the problem here?

Leave it be and they'll be gone by November. They won't bother her unless she goes poking at it with a stick. There is no need to go removing it if it is in the garden. Worst case scenario she might get stung once, but in all likelihood she won't. Her head won't fall off as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Seriously, what?
    How does an insect nest in the garden constitute the garden not being in a "Proper State of Structural Repair"? :confused:

The clue is in the regulations, you should try reading it :-)

By "Garden" I would take that to be all inclusive, after all it's the landlords property right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement