Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee nest, should landlord pay to have it removed.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Just to help the OP figure out of they're bees or wasps:

anatomy-photo-u1.jpg

Channel 4 has a guide about their nests and about bees vs wasps:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/diy/bees-nests-wasps-nests-dealing-getting-rid-of-them-10-02-12/display/page/2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

todders wrote: »
    The clue is in the regulations, you should try reading it :-)
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Sure run it past your landlord, what harm? I'm sure he'll do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Zulu wrote: »
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Sure run it past your landlord, what harm? I'm sure he'll do it for you.

Or not, if he has a penchant for evading responsibility documented in law :-P

Or not, if he has a penchant for evading responsibility documented in law :-P
    The Bees Nest Act (2001) Section 4.

The Bees Nest Act (2001) Section 4.

Definant to the last with even in the face of written proof.

I thought the housing crash got us rid of all you cowboy landlords :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

percy212 wrote: »
    Tenants are not responsible for garden maintenance. The landlord should pay for removal of the nest. Its the law.

Should the landlord be expected to remove a spider nest as well? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tenants are not responsible for garden maintenance. The landlord should pay for removal of the nest. Its the law.

The landlord is legally responsible for the maintenance of the garden and the exterior of the property and the grounds. It is normal practice to include the upkeep of the garden and grounds in a tenant's lease- most tenants are happy enough to cut the grass and spread a little grit as and when its needed. Very few tenants would be happy for their landlord to turn up regular as clockwork every Thursday evening, to cut the grass during the summer time, or to grit the steps in the winter. Normally a modicum of common sense applies. Unfortunately it now seems likely that its necessary to spell these things out in black and white- as obviously common sense doesn't apply to some people.

computer-close-hulk.gif

computer-close-hulk.gif

Must of hit a nerve, either that or you are on your way to remove a nest from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

keithb93 wrote: »
    Should the landlord be expected to remove a spider nest as well? :rolleyes:

If the're poisonous spiders that might kill the tenant, then yes.

FWIW, I'm a landlord, and I've paid to remove ant infestations from the back-yard which were getting into the kitchen. I didn't think twice about whether it was my responsiblity or not .. of course it is to provide an enviroment free of harmful pests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

gaius c wrote: »
    Interesting that the landlords here think the tenant should pay and that the tenants here think the landlord should pay...

Whatever you do decide to do, at least let the landlord know and please don't do the "soak with petrol & run away" trick because that fire could spread and risk other property.

I'm a tenant and I think the tenant should pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sorry that you find Threshold and the Housing Acts useless.

I didn't say that at all. I made a useless observation about that particular wording, then edited to say it was a bit useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

The landlord is legally responsible for the maintenance of the garden and the exterior of the property and the grounds. It is normal practice to include the upkeep of the garden and grounds in a tenant's lease- most tenants are happy enough to cut the grass and spread a little grit as and when its needed. Very few tenants would be happy for their landlord to turn up regular as clockwork every Thursday evening, to cut the grass during the summer time, or to grit the steps in the winter. Normally a modicum of common sense applies. Unfortunately it now seems likely that its necessary to spell these things out in black and white- as obviously common sense doesn't apply to some people.

I suppose he can only be deemed to be responsible for whatis deemed fair. If i don’t like birds does the landlord not have a responsibilityto remove any nests in the bushes? Just because OP sees it as a problem doesn’tmean it is. Wasps to a lot of good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp

The term wasp is
    typically defined as any
    insect of the order Hymenopteraand suborder Apocritathat is neither a beenor an ant.[1]
    Almost every
    pest insect species has at least one wasp species that preys upon
    it or
    parasitizes it, making wasps critically important in natural
    control of their numbers, or natural
    biocontrol.Parasitic wasps are increasingly used in agricultural pest control as they prey mostly on pest insects and have little impact on
    crops.
    [2]
    [3]

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Definant to the last with even in the face of written proof.

Written Proof that insects in a tenants garden are the landlords responsibility?

As a landlord myself i would be interested in seeing this imaginary proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think one of the advantages of renting is that the landlord must actually look after the property (per threshold above). I wonder what the law would say if a tenant had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting while INSIDE the house, after requesting that the property owner remove a nest in the garden. The landlords on this site are like something from a dickens novel, but less well spoken. ITS MY HOUSE BUT YOU FIX IT YERSELF wid petredil and matches!

nonsense, having a Bee Hive doesn't consistute a broken house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If they are bees please do not have them exterminated!!! Bees are very rare and there is absolutely no need to have them remvoed. Are they actually causing you any kind of problem, other than buzzing around your garden a bit?

You know other animals have as much right to be here as we do. You cant just go round exterminating everything at will.

By and large bees wont bother you too much, but thats not to say they dont present a danger. My parents decided to try beekeeping for a while and we had a hive down the back of the garden (at the end of a half acre field). They never really bothered us for the most part, but they took a disliking to things like the lawnmower and would start getting anxious when we tried to cut the grass in "their" field. We all ended up getting stung at some point; not frequently, but it did happen nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Just to help the OP figure out of they're bees or wasps:

anatomy-photo-u1.jpg

Channel 4 has a guide about their nests and about bees vs wasps:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/diy/bees-nests-wasps-nests-dealing-getting-rid-of-them-10-02-12/display/page/2

How the **** did we get to the stage where we need to post pictures telling peeps what a wasp looks like and it be different to a bee

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

mitosis wrote: »
    Beekeepers will pay you for the bees. Wasps you will have to pay. Neither is the responsibility of the LL. They are in the garden through no fault of his, but he sounds like a decent sort, so you should call and ask.

OP if you are paid for the bees make you give your landlord his cut. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

While maybe not directly relevant, while I was renting in Australia I had a nest of bees or wasps (cant remember now which it was) and the landlord paid for it to be removed/destroyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Landlord sorted it out, called out the pest control, found four nests in the trees, pest control did the job, everyone happy.

• Advertisement

DuckHook wrote: »
    Written Proof that insects in a tenants garden are the landlords responsibility?

As a landlord myself i would be interested in seeing this imaginary proof.

Just because you didn't read earlier posts does not automatically make a proof imaginary, it just means you aren't great at reading comprehension.

Have another go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

most decent and responsible landlords would of done the same , instead of flaffing around pointing at reams of legislation trying to get out of paying €50.
    glad you got it sorted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    most decent and responsible landlords would of done the same , instead of flaffing around pointing at reams of legislation trying to get out of paying €50.
    glad you got it sorted

Depends on the job- 50 Euro would be a minimum amount. Pest control are minting it at the moment- we've never had such an explosion of insects, as we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would imagine a LL has to sort it but its up to them whether to pay or to do it themselves. As long as it is gone safely.

ted1 wrote: »
    nonsense, having a Bee Hive doesn't consistute a broken house.

If you have a serious allergy it makes the house inhabitable. My neighbour had to move out his infant for a few hours until a wasps nest was sorted last year... if it was a rented house and the LL was stalling on sorting it out that made the house inhabitable for days or even weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

Best bet is to just ask your landlord OP.

It doesn't seem like the landlord has a legal obligation to get it removed but you'll find most will be decent about it.

If you have a serious allergy it makes the house inhabitable. My neighbour had to move out his infant for a few hours until a wasps nest was sorted last year... if it was a rented house and the LL was stalling on sorting it out that made the house inhabitable for days or even weeks.

If it was that serious a problem for you then you would just pay whatever it took to get it sorted in as timely a fashion as possible and worry about the cost afterwards.

djimi wrote: »
    If it was that serious a problem for you then you would just pay whatever it took to get it sorted in as timely a fashion as possible and worry about the cost afterwards.

You may have to rather than stay elsewhere but why should you be down money for however long it takes to get a LL to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Unbelievable thread, go buy a can of wasp spray and deal with it yourself.
    This kind of attitude of why should I do it just typifies problems in Ireland.

• Advertisement

You may have to rather than stay elsewhere but why should you be down money for however long it takes to get a LL to pay up.

Because it costs about €50 to get it sorted and you are talking about your childs wellbeing. Its an absolute no brainer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement