Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner of dock rd past steamship house

Options
  • 22-08-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Can someone tell me please what development is going on at that site...and is it ever going to be finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Its the Art house cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Could only happen in Galway where a site with so much funding problems could be allowed to block a main road for four years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I cycle that way everyday during the evening rush hour and i'd say it's only about one in twenty cars that come around that corner that turn right on to Flood Street so even when it's finished there's gonna be a bottle neck to turn for Wolfe Tone Bridge anyway, it really won't make that much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

McTigs wrote: »
    I cycle that way everyday during the evening rush hour and i'd say it's only about one in twenty cars that come around that corner that turn right on to Flood Street so even when it's finished there's gonna be a bottle neck to turn for Wolfe Tone Bridge anyway, it really won't make that much difference.

I'm pretty sure the p****s that bomb down the outside and cut in before the lights will just bomb down further then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I'm pretty sure the p****s that bomb down the outside and cut in before the lights will just bomb down further then

Agreed at the moment it imposes a bit of discipline most drivers try to get into the correct lane back at Lough Atalia Rd.

Take out the blockage and loads more of them will try to get down in the other lane hoping someone will let them in at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

A bit OT, but Zip Merging, or Zipper Merging (where everyone uses both lanes and waits to merge at the end), is actually safer, reduces congestion, and gives a greater sense of "fairness".

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

it would be a bit "unfair" on the people wanting to turn on to flood street to be caught behind a line of cars trying to merge on to the wolfe tone bridge lane.... which is the case now i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

The other day I tried to merge early with the left lane on the dock road but wasn't let in. The car behind me was staying in the right lane so wasn't happy with how things were going and let me know. I performed what I now know to be a Zipper Merge. (Also known in Ireland as the p**** that bombed down the outside.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

there should be a happy medium in that situation like if you go down to the last moment to turn in you can look like a p***** but if you indicate as you go past the lights where the road from loughatalia and the city merge and slowly keep going you'll get in about half way I find and there is more semblance of fair play, (I know I'd be more inclined to let someone in early on in the lane rather than a person bombing down there)

• Advertisement

If both lanes are used, then both lanes will be going at the same speed. Then when you get to the end, cars take turns merging. Therefore, no one feels as though anyone is taking advantage. They're just taking their turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

McTigs wrote: »

Agree, unless it pushes more traffic via Cross Street when it re-opens for those who wish to cross the river? This would not be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Can someone tell me please what development is going on at that site...and is it ever going to be finished?

Perhaps the (eventual) opening of the Picture Palace can be marked by a festival of Slow Cinema, featuring 8-hour epics by the likes of Lav Diaz.

Eeden wrote: »
    If both lanes are used, then both lanes will be going at the same speed. Then when you get to the end, cars take turns merging. Therefore, no one feels as though anyone is taking advantage. They're just taking their turn.

Not necessarily.

And if I nip out of the left lane just after turning the corner further back (coming from Lough Atalia) how does anyone down the ine know whether I'm a chancer trying to skip the queue or one of the motorists taking their turn after coming from the Eyre Square or Merchants Road direction?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

And if I nip out of the left lane just after turning the corner further back (coming from Lough Atalia) how does anyone down the ine know whether I'm a chancer trying to skip the queue or one of the motorists taking their turn after coming from the Eyre Square or Merchants Road direction?

If the rule is changed so that people merge at the end of the lanes, why do they need to know where you came from? Just so that they can be indignant? ;)

If the rule is changed so that people merge at the end of the lanes, why do they need to know where you came from? Just so that they can be indignant? ;)
    A bit OT, but Zip Merging, or Zipper Merging (where everyone uses both lanes and waits to merge at the end), is actually safer, reduces congestion, and gives a greater sense of "fairness".

Well, if a sense of fairness is important (and it definitely is, in general terms*) then motorists in the left lane will probably like to know whether the ones in the right lane are ordinary decent mergers or "p****s that bomb down the outside and cut in".

The early versus late merging topic is an interesting (and perhaps counterintuitive) one, but I think there is a key factor here that should not be overlooked. There are two sources of traffic leading to the two lanes alongside the Docks: Lougha Atalia Road and Eyre Square/Merchants Road.

Traffic in the left lane comes from Lough Atalia. If I 'jump the queue' just after the lights here, I can become a late merger, say, here. That's the way it was before the Picture Palace construction started. The hoarding has just shifted the merge location. IIRC there used to be a queue-jumping rat-run here before the current one-way system was introduced.

In such a situation a perception of unfairness might lead to frustration and maybe a bit of aggro. If late merging is to be the system then it needs to be regularised, advertised and promoted, I would suggest, rather than left to chance or individual choice. Late merging works for the totality of traffic when all motorists are using the same system.

*Humans, as well as other species, seem to be hard-wired to reject unfairness. This video is entertaining, which is why I'm posting it here.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If late merging is to be the system then it needs to be regularised, advertised and promoted, I would suggest, rather than left to chance or individual choice. Late merging works for the totality of traffic when all motorists are using the system.

This is what I meant about the rules being changed. But I get what you're talking about. Also, I suppose if you're driving, you're nearly always going to suspect that someone else is trying to get one over on you! (Probably because they usually are...) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Based on facebook posts from the picture palace they started on slating the roof the 12-07-2013. Once the roof is complete will there be a need to have the crane in place - which requires the hoarding on the road? Or perhaps they will still the road space for other works?

Advertisement