Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year boards meet up anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

dwantoo3 wrote: »
    Your not the only one brickin it anyway man, no idea what to expect:confused:

No need to be bricking it :)
    Orientation is just you going to a speech (yawn) before getting assigned a guide. In groups of your own class, you get shown about the place, brought for food and brought to get your student card. Student card process is simple enough, you just have to queue for ages!
    As equine science (dunno about any other course), we were then brought to the equestrian centre where we spent the rest of the day.
    It's expected for you to be confused and lost for most of the day (that's what the day is for). If anything, it's the guides that should be nervous as they have most of the responsibility. Just be sure to take a pen, a coat, some money and a form of ID :) maybe someone else has something to add to this, mine was two years ago and I've the memory of a goldfish...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

As a guide this year and last year I agree with everything sup_dude says orientation is grand.

You go to the speech from the president of the college and the students union. Then your courses will be called out in order and you'll be assigned a guide. Groups are normally up to about 14/15 people all from your own course. This is really good to get to know people on your course so there will be some faces you might recognise in your lectures.

Then the guide brings the group outside and will normally get everyone to introduce themselves, say your name and where your from that type of thing. Then the guide brings you around to the different parts of the college they have a list of 8/9 places they have to bring you to including library, doctors office, student councilling, chaplaincy, the students union and the arena.

Sometimes your guide will be on your course and if they are ask them all the questions you can think of. If they aren't still ask the questions and if they can't answer they will either tell you someone else to ask or get your student number and email on a reply later on.

The other things he do on the tour is a meeting with the head of the department your studying in and your course director who will go over your timetable and answer and questions he might have, also depending on the course you might be brought to do Garda vetting just handing in the form ye have been given and the only other thing is enrollment and student cards.

At some point during the day ye will also be brought to one of the restaurants on campus Stables/ Scholars/ Paddocks or Eden for lunch.

I'd advise to bring some money, maybe a bag to carry your documents and any freebies you might get, there wasn't much on offer last year but you never know. Most importantly make sure to bring all your documentation! Tis is the most awkward thing to forget because it could mean you wont be able to register on that day and have to queue for ages again to do it. So make sure to have I.D., proof of online enrolment, proof of paying fees and anything else that the letters you got say that you need.

Sorry for the long post but ive tried to cover as much as I can think of. If there are any questions just ask away and who knows I might see some of ye next week at orientation or in the stables some evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Hey lads just some advice as well (Similar to another thread). While your going to make probably the vast majority of your friends outside your course, do talk to people during orientation!

Don't be quite or awkward (Hard I know but trust me!) as everyone else is in the same boat as yourself! Just make the effort as you'll be with these people hopefully for the next four years.

Advertisement