Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeopathic Remedies - Where to get?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I'm pretty sure the Quay Co-Op sells them.
    I have to admit that I have absolutely no belief that homeopathy works either, apart from as a placebo (which can be useful).

There is an early detection window for a lot of very serious conditions. By not seeing a doctor, and instead self medicating (by these medically unproven means), this window can be missed. It's not worth the risk for any placebo effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm confused. The OP asked where she could get Homeopathic Remedies, and almost all of the replies told her she shouldn't use them and that homeopathy is bad.

Imagine you started a thread asking wheres a good place to go for a pint, and you got an entire thread full of people telling me how unhealthy alcohol is? That'd be horse **** right? Well so is this.

I'd compare it more to a thread asking wheres a good place to buy magic beans, and you got an entire thread full of people telling you that magic beans are a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Imagine you started a thread asking wheres a good place to go for a pint, and you got an entire thread full of people telling me how unhealthy alcohol is? That'd be horse **** right? Well so is this.

At least alcohol does what it's supposed to do if that's what one choses. Homeopathy is not just junk science it's also dangerous. The OP would be as well off saying a prayer to Little Nellie of Holy God as buying homeopathic "Remedies". At least then only their time would be wasted not their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I'm confused. The OP asked where she could get Homeopathic Remedies, and almost all of the replies told her she shouldn't use them and that homeopathy

It's called looking out for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

think happy thoughts all she didn't ask for opinions just where to get them...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'm pretty sure the Quay Co-Op sells them.
    I have to admit that I have absolutely no belief that homeopathy works either, apart from as a placebo (which can be useful).

Only if the person don't understand placebo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rovoagho wrote: »
    Only if the person don't understand placebo.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

or maybe not

You're right of course, I had forgotten about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

omahaid wrote: »
    I'd compare it more to a thread asking wheres a good place to buy magic beans, and you got an entire thread full of people telling you that magic beans are a scam.

I might be an undercover cop trying to find magic bean dealers so I can bust them for being scamsters

Lamp! It's the Unicorn Farts Squad! Scatter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Mos pharmacies have them and health food shops too I'd imagine.

Complete nonsense that cannot possible work, but whatever floats your boat.

tis turning into proc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I've read somewhere, that its impossible to dilute the active ingredient in these "potions" to the level that homeopaths claim they do due to there not being enough water on earth to do so.

Irks me that people are making money off this nonsense and believe it or not, the NHS in the UK is now funding homeopathy. Its one thing funding bail outs, but if the Government here started to fund €30 bottles of water with my tax money....

OP, my advice is that unless you are trying to cure anything else except for dehydration, avoid homeopathy. And at that, it's quite an expensive cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, i had a go at my health insurance rep as well for that, and the rest of the mental stuff they cover. They cover flippen chiropracters and homeopaths, but not private maternity care. Feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Op generally you'll find what you need in the health stores like the place next to Burger king in town.

Now as someone with a biochemistry degree and about to start a masters in biotechnology i'd ask you to not waste your money on what is essentially a scam. You are basically paying ridiculous money for water or sugar tablets. In college we worked out that the dilution of the "active ingredient" is roughly equivalent to one single drop of water in an olympic sized swimming pool.

Pretty much none of these products have any scientific backing and any "scientific papers" they tend to claim backs up their product has some seriously flawed data or methods of research. I'd highly recommend the book bad science which gives a great insight into homoeopathy and the sham of a process that goes into the making of these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carbonel_rex

You'd swear the OP was trying to buy heroin from some of the replies here. I wouldn't have faith in homeopathy apart from as a possible placebo, but live and let live I say...

All of the health food shops in town stock homeopathic products - Quay Co-op on Sullivan's Quay, Natural Choice upstairs in Paul Street shopping centre, Here's Health on Patrick Street. There are others I'm sure. I think Boots do them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I can't live and let live if someone is being entirely ripped off and it's adding to the idea that homeopathy actually does anything.

Heroin at least has a measured scientifically proven effect.

"Heroin > Homeopathy" is quite definitely the best argument I've seen again homeopathy yet.

I didn't say it was better than homeopathy, I just said it was real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

pwurple wrote: »
    Eeek, I was wondering how many people would be in here taking the piss. Anyway, one of the pharmaceutical companies I worked for has a HUGE homeopathic division... mahhhhsive profit in sugar tablets and watered down water. You can buy their stuff in Boots and other mainstream chemists on the homeopathy shelves.

Homeopathy is great for things that go away all on their own without any explanation. Cold sores, back pain, bruising etc.

Not so good for cancer, heart disease, anything serious.

Do you work for Merck?

• Advertisement

Do you not think you should close this thread now mods? between people putting information in that the started of the thread didn't even ask for and the narrowmindness of some of the replies.. me thinks it has done its duty

Milly33 wrote: »
    Do you not think you should close this thread now mods? between people putting information in that the started of the thread didn't even ask for and the narrowmindness of some of the replies.. me thinks it has done its duty

Hmmm!

I think it's a useful thread to educate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

This bottled water should be illegal. People sell these cure at a profit. They do nothing and if the patient is in anyway sick they will get worse if not die. They lie and people do die from homeopathic medicine. When people start using them for small things and when they get any relief which has nothing to do with the magic water/sugar pill taken they'll start using them for bigger things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8841347/Steve-Jobs-regretted-trying-to-beat-cancer-with-alternative-medicine-for-so-long.html

Using homeopathic should not be seen as normal or rational, no one should aide someone trying to take this nonsense, its dangerous. It should be shunned and outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I think it should be stickied not closed. Although I don't think the OP is reading it anymore so I'm not sure if our advice is being listened to.

I assume given your criticism of narrowmindedness you've watched the James Randi video now? How would you respond?

Yep I did watch it!! Point being what again the thread was started asking where to get such stuff not for opinions on the it..

I was just wondering why you think people are being narrowminded if you saw and understood how ridiculous homeopathy is. Stating facts is not narrowminded, it's straight and to the point. Narrowmindedness is believing in this tripe in light of the facts, or demanding that those facts not be highlighted in the interests of safety. And savings, for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

omahaid wrote: »
    I think it should be stickied not closed. Although I don't think the OP is reading it anymore so I'm not sure if our advice is being listened to.
    It shouldn't be closed. If this thread stops one person from Cork deciding that homeopathy is the way to threat their illness and asks a GP or pharmacist instead itll be well worth it. Keep it open let real Cork people voice their concern about this product so future people who search "homeopathic remedies Cork" will see this rather than false advertising and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I haven't a clue why anyone would get so manic about the evils of homeopathy lol... Real cork people.. Lol...
    Seriously days298... I'd say very few real cork people will be googling homeopathy and this thread will no way change their minds if they did.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Advertisement