Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a month (or so) in SF?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

It's been on my mind to get away for a month or so over Autumn/Winter. Originally thinking of just moving south within Europe (Spain or France), because that's close by and easy, but San Francisco's been on the to-do list for quite a while so thought I'd at least look into the possibility.

Not really a holiday – I already work remotely (freelance web development with a decent enough client base) so I'd be taking the laptop and keeping up with that. It's more just for the change of scene. Irish winters tend to get me down!

Don't really know where to start even thinking about that sort of a trip to the US though. Even discounting anything like visa issues and whatnot, I suspect accommodation might be tricky? Can't be paying $100++ a night for a hotel for a full month or more (which is what any Google searches are throwing back at me), but apart from that I'm currently clueless as to what else might be available.

Anyone have any experience with a trip of that sort of length? Somewhere I might look online for short-(but-not-that-short-)term accommodation?

I'm really just in the "thinking about it" stage right now, but it'd be pretty damn cool if it manages to work out, so any sort of advice or thoughts would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I have relations living in San Fran and the general area that I could touch base with and see what kind of short term accomodation is available over there. Obviously you want to be as close to everything as possible.
    Its an amazing city. Been there 3 times myself and its one of the few cities I could say that Id take my family and move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Look into long-stay or apartment style hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have relations living in San Fran and the general area that I could touch base with and see what kind of short term accomodation is available over there.

Cool, yeah. Even if they have some pointers on where I might look that'd be great.

Come to think of it I'm bound to know some techie types from the industry that are working over there now. Must hit them up for some advice!

silja wrote: »
    Look into long-stay or apartment style hotels.

Cool, I'll add it to my search queries.

I've been able to find some info on short-term apartment letting alright. With all the tech startups in town it seems it might be a common enough thing actually. But wow, those prices. Most of what I'm seeing so far is around $4k a month. I was expecting expensive but that might be prohibitively so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Goodshape wrote: »
    I've been able to find some info on short-term apartment letting alright. With all the tech startups in town it seems it might be a common enough thing actually. But wow, those prices. Most of what I'm seeing so far is around $4k a month. I was expecting expensive but that might be prohibitively so.

That is expensive- there will be cheaper places if you are willing to go further out, or go less luxury. Another option may be an apartment share, especially if you are going over at a time when students may be out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I live in SF so can guide you a bit.

one thing, remember that even if you work remotely, you will not be able to do it on the VWP. You'll need proof you can support yourself the entire time of your stay. You will be asked, remote work is not allowed. The longer your stay, the more suspicious the border guards get. (also the shorter your stay ironically, 2 days in the US would raise eyebrows as well :D)

As for expenses. Rent in the city is expensive (we pay 2540 a month for a two bedroom in the inner sunset, a cheaper end of town), and you pay for being closer to "stuff".
    -SOMA has a lot of condo style apartments, but is expensive.
    -Mission is "edgier" but nice with a lot of bars and restaurants, cheaper but on the way up and you have to be really careful on some streets.
    -The inner sunset is about 20 minutes from downtown and has a lot of bars and stuff close by, is well connected with transport. It is the cheapest area and has a lot of dorms and apartment shares (close to colleges and teaching hospitals).
    -The closer you get to the golden gate bridge the more expensive it is ...nob hill, russian hill - Jony Ive (guy that designed the iphone) lives up there, as does Robin Williams.
    -Castro, lost it's edge and is pretty gentrified. It is a mixture of families/single people, straight and gay (predominantly gay) and has some nice spots and is close enough to town
    -Bernal heights, mixture of families/singles , straight and lesbian, bit further out but nice views.
    -Twin Peaks , nice view, but not very well connected and A LOT of hills.
    -Stay away from the tenderloin and bayview - crime is off the chart.

The further out you go, the cheaper it gets but there is less to do and it takes longer to get into town.. Outer sunset, outer richmond, daly city, glen park. Stay on either a BART or MUNI light rail line.

Over on the east bay, Berkeley is a lot of fun, as are parts of Oakland, but you have to pick your blocks well. You'll also be about 20 minutes by BART from SF.

For a room, you'll be paying between 1200 and 1500 a month, more or less. It's an expensive town. Take a look on craigslist for sublets. That is basically people subletting their room for a month or whatever. Here is the link http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sub/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ot to craigslist and look under "Vacation Rentals". Thats what you need. Somewhere that isnt a hotel but is fully equipped and short term.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/vac/

I used to live in Santa Cruz. About 2 hours south of SF. Beautiful area. Accessable to silicon valley and SF but a little cheaper. Youcould also loook north as well.

You could also rent a few vacation places. Spend each week in a different place.

Advertisement