Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl cycling offers - General thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Is the Crivit Sports Upright Floor Pump any good ? Its so cheap at €7 it might not last long im thinking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Is the Crivit Sports Upright Floor Pump any good ? Its so cheap at €7 it might not last long im thinking.

save your money, anyone i know that picked up a lidl or aldi pump, including myself, had it stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

I've had one for over a year and it still works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

mossym wrote: »
    save your money, anyone i know that picked up a lidl or aldi pump, including myself, had it stop working.

I have mine a year and still working the finest, although it does feel like each time I use it could be the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

This stuff is invariably crap. It's false economy, just spend 20 quid extra and get something that actually works (the exception here is the spoke reflectors which are grand and the sunglasses which are cheap enough to not matter if the lens falls out on one pair while running (as they did with me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got one under the desk at work. worked the last time I had to use it. feels a bit fragile you would want a nice level surface to use it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

I find the leg warmers and arm warmers to be really quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was going to buy these running trousers ftoday for when it starts getting a bit cold, they seem to be the exact same as the cycling ones they're offering next week, do you think the cycling ones will have padding?

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C8F405CE-35BA22E1/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_34164.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah the cycling ones seem to have a chamois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

mossym wrote: »

I've a Lidl mini-pump which has worked fine so far, not that it's been called on too often but has done the job alongside a few godforsaken ditches of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Anyone get the GPS device from them before? I'd be interested in this. I take it that it's easy to upload your data onto Strava aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭smok

J o e wrote: »
    The GPS enabled computer looks interesting but I can't tell if it actually logs the route or just displays the current position.
    more info in german here
    http://www.lidl.de/de/Action-Funktion-Dynamik-Ab-29-08-/SILVERCREST-GPS-Outdoor-Computer-SFN-1-5-A1
    it comes with a usb cable anyway so its likely that there is some data transferred
    I am considering it for strava as I find my iphone really inaccurate - but cant tell if the data will work with strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Im in the market for my first helmet, anyone have any experience with the Lidl ones? Is there a big difference between one of these and a more expensive one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm cycling in the previous edition one, seems to be the same as the current one (@16.99). It is really Cratoni Zethos - I find it great personally, you can look for reviews online to.

I think I get a spare one btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Im in the market for my first helmet, anyone have any experience with the Lidl ones? Is there a big difference between one of these and a more expensive one?
    Price is the main difference. Used to have a Lidl helmet and can't see a difference comparing to other helmets. Almost all are horribly looking yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Does anyone have the mens jacket?

eire-kp wrote: »
    Does anyone have the mens jacket?

presuming you mean the softshell. I have last years version, served me well up to xmas when i replaced with a dhb jacket which is much nicer but cost a lot more

nothing wrong with it, it;s warm, don;t think i ever encountered a heavy shower in it so can't comment on it's water properties, but for the price it does the job well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

smok wrote: »
    more info in german here
    http://www.lidl.de/de/Action-Funktion-Dynamik-Ab-29-08-/SILVERCREST-GPS-Outdoor-Computer-SFN-1-5-A1
    it comes with a usb cable anyway so its likely that there is some data transferred
    I am considering it for strava as I find my iphone really inaccurate - but cant tell if the data will work with strava

Will it work with Strava? Via Google Translate there is no mention of road maps which I would assume are fairly critical for Strava. Would a cheap pas you go phone (e.g. Vodafone Smart) not be a better bet and still come in well under €100?

Features:
    Ideal for cycling, walking and jogging
    Easy route planning software supplied
    Route guidance from waypoint to waypoint display the GPS coordinates, direction and distance to the destination
    Stores up to 2500 waypoints, 50 routes with a total of (50 waypoints per route)
    Track record of the individual tracking points (up to 25,000) and return to the starting point in the same way
    Speed ​​and distance, odometer, average, current and maximum speed
    Altimeter with GPS precision compass
    Splash-proof housing according to IPX4
    Allows you to store various, individually defined locations (POI) - eg Airport, restaurant, etc.
    Homing mode: guidance for defined location "home"
    Monochrome 3.81-cm (1.5-inch) FSTN LCD display with backlight
    Display GPS signal strength, time (GPS-based), stopwatch
    Calorie computation example cycling
    Easy to mount on bike stem or handlebars
    Built-in 750 mAh lithium-polymer battery
    Battery life: up to 17 hours (maximum duration without backlight)

touts wrote: »
    Will it work with Strava? Via Google Translate there is no mention of road maps which I would assume are fairly critical for Strava. Would a cheap pas you go phone (e.g. Vodafone Smart) not be a better bet and still come in well under €100?

strava doens;t need maps, it just needs a list of the gps coordinates you covered and the times you went through them.

however, you need to be able to upload that list and times to your pc and then up to strava after your ride, a feature that is not listed in that list. that's not to say it doesn't do it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Would a cheap pas you go phone (e.g. Vodafone Smart) not be a better bet and still come in well under €100?

I was using my (handlebar-mounted) Samsung Galaxy S3 but for a few longer rides the battery died before I finished the route. Could probably tweak to reduce power consumption but having a small GPS enabled computer on the bike would be nice. Couldn't justify the price of a proper computer (Garmin etc) but at €50 this is tempting.

If it does log the data but not in the correct format I could develop a converter to convert to GPX or similar standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I bought a kind of heavy fleecy bike jacket from Lidl last autumn which, though without back pockets, I think was excellent value, especially good given how cold the long winter was. However a few months back I bought a nicer looking & lighter soft-shell from them which I thought would cover milder weather but I'd consider unusable as it's a complete sweatbox.
    Splashed out on a convertible Castelli Gabba for 8 times the price of the Lidl one but 8 million times the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All the Aldi Lidl soft-shell/windbreak/waterproof style stuff is total sweatbox material, I dont even bother looking at them anymore, wear it for 5 minutes in the shop and you can feel the heat building and your armpits getting wet, been that way for years, sometimes you do get stuff with that nice gauze-ish material around the armpits that gives great ventilation but 9/10 times its rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

a148pro wrote: »
    This stuff is invariably crap. It's false economy, just spend 20 quid extra and get something that actually works (the exception here is the spoke reflectors which are grand and the sunglasses which are cheap enough to not matter if the lens falls out on one pair while running (as they did with me).

Ah no, I think it's just hit and miss to be fair. It's worth having a quick look.
    I got some brilliant mitts a few years ago there, really well made, still using them now.

Any I've seen there since have been ****e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

The base layers are excellent. I've had a few for the last 2 years. Worn commuting and washed at least 150 times each. Still in great condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Got one a few years ago, still works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Will it work with Strava? Via Google Translate there is no mention of road maps which I would assume are fairly critical for Strava.

The device doesn't need its own maps. Strava overlays the gps data onto google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The only thing I found bad about that pump was the connector,I replaced it with a steel one that I had on an old defunct pump.Since then I used the Lidl pump for just about everything including a Tractor tyre twice :eek:..good pump pity they dont just fit a better connector even if it costs a couple of Euros more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Here a translation of the feature on the GPS unit. Comes with a software bundle so could be used for Strava as well.

Features:

Ideal for cycling, walking and jogging
    Easy route planning software supplied
    Route guidance from waypoint to waypoint display the GPS coordinates, direction and distance to the destination
    Stores up to 2500 waypoints, 50 routes with a total of (50 waypoints per route)
    Track record of the individual tracking points (up to 25,000) and return to the starting point in the same way
    Speed ​​and distance, odometer, average, current and maximum speed
    Altimeter with GPS precision compass
    Splash-proof housing according to IPX4
    Allows you to store various, individually defined locations (POI) - eg Airport, restaurant, etc.
    Homing mode: guidance for defined location "home"
    Monochrome 3.81-cm (1.5-inch) FSTN LCD display with backlight
    Display GPS signal strength, time (GPS-based), stopwatch
    Calorie computation example cycling
    Easy to mount on bike stem or handlebars
    Built-in 750 mAh lithium-polymer battery
    Battery life: up to 17 hours (maximum duration without backlight)

joxerjohn wrote: »
    Here a translation of the feature on the GPS unit. Comes with a software bundle so could be used for Strava

Route PLANNING software so it isn't too clear if the computer logs and transfers routes back to the desktop software. Might be clearer on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

I've had one for over five years. I suspect the gauge isn't spot on, but it still works. Just replaced it with one from Aldi and passed it onto my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Very intrigued by this GPS computer. Could be great or could be a load of rubbish. Will give it a go I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Power10

Bought an aldi one recently... nothing wrong with it at all...I was a little unsure myself as I've owned a high end version previously but for €7 u won't go wrong. It does the job as good as anything I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone any views on the lights? I need lights just for when light is fading, I won't be out after dark so was hoping these would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnnybhoy78

CJC999 wrote: »
    Anyone any views on the lights? I need lights just for when light is fading, I won't be out after dark so was hoping these would do.

I wouldn't bother with the lights I had them before and they filled with water after 1 rain shower

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

I wouldn't bother with the lights I had them before and they filled with water after 1 rain shower

I have them for last month, and they were not filled with water after 10 rain showers. I usually leave bicycle in the rain all day with lights attached and they still work very well. Rear has easy access to batterries and front light has built-in simple charger, so no need to replace batteries every time, just plug in for few hours.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-75E56768-D760B8D9/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_29417.htm

--
    Pump is great, works very well.
    --
    Waterproof jacket is completely NOT breathable...

What about Crivit cycling computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I had two light sets, both died in particularly heavy rain showers.

This is typical of Lidl and Aldi gear, some have good experiences and some have bad experiences of their merchandise. Fair to say the build quality is inconsistent then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Looks ok. I fitted one to my son's bike a couple of weeks ago and it's fine so far. Claims puncture resistance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

kaef wrote: »
    What about Crivit cycling computer?
    I bought one in the previous round of cycle offers (for €1.50 more :eek:! :)), and I've found it to be OK. They didn't seem to be selling well, though, so not at all surprised to see them back for less cash.

Much better than Lidl/Crivit's first attempt at a wireless BC. Not bombproof on the interference front, but acceptable. (Just don't put it right next to your computer, in the same pocket as your phone, or anywhere near the door and checkouts in Tesco Wilton while it's turned on.) Has the basic functions you'd expect, generally works OK. Has those horrible cable-tie fittings, though. Powersaves off, but doesn't have "auto-start" to turn it back on, so you have to make sure you're not shooting blanks if you stop for five minutes or more, and forget to turn on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

got one under the desk at work. worked the last time I had to use it. feels a bit fragile you would want a nice level surface to use it on.

:eek: ... what are you using it for ... oh right ok ... you have it under the desk so you can use it when you commute in the evening ... you do cycle to work don't you ? ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

CJC999 wrote: »
    Lights I got from there were awful. The plastic was brittle and the switches unreliable. They failed entirely within the "no hassle returns" window (28 days I think) so I left them back. I got decent ones from LBS which have lasted several winters since and should see me through several more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Anyone know what diameter the lights fit ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ugsparky wrote: »
    :eek: ... what are you using it for ... oh right ok ... you have it under the desk so you can use it when you commute in the evening ... you do cycle to work don't you ? ...

yes i do commute, handy if you find a flat during the day rather than using a hand pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I bought one in the previous round of cycle offers (for €1.50 more :eek:! :)), and I've found it to be OK. They didn't seem to be selling well, though, so not at all surprised to see them back for less cash.

Much better than Lidl/Crivit's first attempt at a wireless BC. Not bombproof on the interference front, but acceptable. (Just don't put it right next to your computer, in the same pocket as your phone, or anywhere near the door and checkouts in Tesco Wilton while it's turned on.) Has the basic functions you'd expect, generally works OK. Has those horrible cable-tie fittings, though. Powersaves off, but doesn't have "auto-start" to turn it back on, so you have to make sure you're not shooting blanks if you stop for five minutes or more, and forget to turn on again.

That's pretty much amazing for e5.
    I have to disagree with interference from phones etc. Ib haven't encountered that problem. A very good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

ezra_pound wrote: »
    That's pretty much amazing for e5.
    The bones of €6, tbf. Before someone accuses us of "shilling" for Lidl. :)
    I have to disagree with interference from phones etc. Ib haven't encountered that problem. A very good buy.

Lend me yours, I'll soon have it reading "71.8kph" standing still. :) I'm not saying it's a major probem. In fact, I'm specifically saying it's a lot better than their previous model on that (and every other) score, which is mostly why I was wary about this one. But if you hold it right next to a phone with WiFi turned on (... if your phone doesn't have WiFi, this obviously isn't going to be an issue...), or very close to a computer, or take it anywhere near whatever madly emitting devices they have in my local Tesco, you'll get false readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joe9009

I bought one the last time they were in and the first time I tried to pump my wheels it blew out at about 80psi, wheel takes 125. save your money. Although not bad for pumping footballs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭logistic

I was just up in lidl on Walkinstown Avenue. They had very little on display. No socks, gloves, bib shorts only had compressions shirts. Any reports back from other stores?

logistic wrote: »
    I was just up in lidl on Walkinstown Avenue. They had very little on display. No socks, gloves, bib shorts only had compressions shirts. Any reports back from other stores?

according to the thread title, shouldn't you be checking tomorrow?

logistic wrote: »

That's running gear from last week you're looking at - cycling offers start tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭logistic

D'oh!!
    That would explain the lack of gear :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement