Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl cycling offers - General thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tzarkahn

Anyone got any experince with the Shoe covers?

Are they Waterproof or just warmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

J o e wrote: »
    That's running gear from last week you're looking at - cycling offers start tomorrow.

Actually the running rain jackets are far better than the ones they have tomorrow for cycling. The running ones scrunch up nice and small in a little pouch. The cycling ones scrunch up to something the size of a medium handbag and certainly won't fit in the back pocket of a jersey.

That said they are both sweatboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im wearing the fluorescent yellow running top from last week on the bike these evenings as its getting a bit cold and I havent bought proper winter gear yet, I love it, really breathable, warm when you're off the bike and cool when you're moving. Also really lights up when car or streetlights hit it. Wish it had pockets but for €7 you cant complain, its one of my favorite tops now, good for hiking or cycling, need to pick up another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Thanks for that tip Thargor - will check them out tomorrow if there's any left.

After checking out their refund policy, I'm going to pick up on of the GPS computers tomorrow and suss it out before mounting on the bike. If it doesn't log (accurately) and transfer back or the build quality is poor I'll just return it.

73uXJS.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah I've found Lidl are grand when it comes to returns. Just make sure to keep the packaging and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone getting this when accessing lidl.ie

Umbrella Security Labs

OpenDNS has blocked www.lidl.ie due to a security threat that was discovered by the Umbrella Labs.

If you think this shouldn't be blocked, please email us at security-block@opendns.com.

Nope, are you in work by any chance? They might have a filter on the network. Either that or some software you've got running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

dfdream wrote: »
    Anyone getting this when accessing lidl.ie

Umbrella Security Labs

OpenDNS has blocked www.lidl.ie due to a security threat that was discovered by the Umbrella Labs.

If you think this shouldn't be blocked, please email us at security-block@opendns.com.
    Got it just now at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Tempted by the trekking tyres but is there anything better around for the money?
    I guess they're a good bit cheaper than Marathons.

• Advertisement

Got the GPS computer earlier - currently charging.

Lots of stock and there was only one other person in our local Lidl looking at the cycling gear at 8am so don't expect this gear to fly out the door.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Picked up a jacket,gloves and pump this morning.
    Jacket seems pretty good quality and is very comfy,gloves seem a bit meh but dirt cheap,should be ok for my casual cycling.
    Pump seems ok for the price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Going to get the pump my self, need a new one since i broke my TKmax pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Got the GPS computer earlier - currently charging.

Lots of stock and there was only one other person in our local Lidl looking at the cycling gear at 8am so don't expect this gear to fly out the door.

Couldn't see any GPS computers in Moore Street, Dublin around 9.30am. Don't think they were stocked there as I couldn't see any price-boards or empty shelves.

Anyone looked at the cycling pants yet? Good for light use in the winter or too light/cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone looked at the cycling pants yet? Good for light use in the winter or too light/cheap?

Just about acceptable for the price, but a long way off the altura equivalent.

• Advertisement

Meant to say heavy there, thanks Darkglasses.

Wont get in until after work. Any tyres suitable for road bikes in the winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I got a jacket, bib shorts, gloves & the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lots of clothing and helmets in Rathmines.

Got a set of the compression bibs and the arm&leg warmers sets. The wife picked up one of the helmets for her learning exploits.

Was tempted to get a set of bib tights for winter too. Gloves looked like they were cut for wearing with liners.

Also plenty of pumps, bike computers and wall mounts, no sign of the Garmin style GPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Plenty of stock in finglas but much to my annoyance there wasn't any gps devices. The manager said they never came in.

• Advertisement

After looking at the manual and software for the GPS computer;
    • It does record your route and allow transfer back to PC. Lat, Lng, Alt taken every 4 sec.
    • The software alows exporting as kml. Edit: Exports also as GPX but Strava not happy with the content, will need tidying.
    • The mount seems to only allow mounting on the handlebar itself, and not on the stem like I'd planned (unless mounted sideways). Edit: Oops, was wrong, it does.
    • The battery takes 5hrs to charge via USB. I'm still letting it complete a full charge, it comes empty.

no sign of the Garmin style GPS.
    Plenty of stock in finglas but much to my annoyance there wasn't any gps devices. The manager said they never came in.

There are loads of these in Doughiska Lidl in Galway. If anyone really wanted one and their local Lidl hasn't stocked it let me know, I could probably pick one up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

After looking at the manual and software for the GPS computer;
    • It does record your route and allow transfer back to PC. Lat, Lng, Alt taken every 4 sec.
    • The software alows exporting as kml. Strava doesn't support this but there are loads of free online KML -> GPX converters available so should be possible. I've never heard of Strava until this week :o and seeing it everywhere on the forum now so will sign up later and try record & load data.
    • The mount seems to only allow mounting on the handlebar itself, and not on the stem like I'd planned (unless mounted sideways).
    • The battery takes 5hrs to charge via USB. I'm still letting it complete a full charge, it comes empty.

There are loads of these in Doughiska Lidl in Galway. If anyone really wanted one and their local Lidl hasn't stocked it let me know, I could probably pick one up for you.

Hi does it allow you to load a basic route of way points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

No arm or leg warmers were delivered in Wicklow, anyone been in Greystones or Bray?

Took it with me for lunch in the car. At work so only had 1 minute to look at the results yet... but it does export to GPX although there are issues with the format (needs tidying for Strava). Also it recorded longitude values as + instead of -, placing me in Germany.

That said, it appears have recorded the route accurately when these are fixed, I'll make a converter to make the output Strava-compatible.

Will post more details after work....
    Hi does it allow you to load a basic route of way points?

Yes you can create waypoints in Google Earth then transfer to the device via their very basic software.

Some shops dont have the gps on display. You have to ask for them at the checkout and they get them.

You can record a route as a .klm. Someone already answered the question I was going ask which is that this can be converted to a file strava can read. Of course no way to be sure until we try but that convinced me to go for one.

Either way you can record and store your past rides on the software provided with the device. It also says you can view routes on google maps.

It says you can plot out planned routes on Google Maps. No idea how easy or hard thst is but I'll try it for this weekend's cycle. I would definately prefer if I could import some routes from Strava but maybe this is where the difference between €200 and €50 kicks in.

Overall not sure yet but I think it is worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

So I cycled all the way to lidl today only to realise when I got there that I was in aldi! fml :(

So I cycled all the way to lidl today only to realise when I got there that I was in aldi! fml :(

I've done this a few times, tried to return Aldi gear to Lidl too, only to be told by the poor cashier that I was in the wrong shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Checking your co-ords every 4 seconds is a little disappointing but fair enough for the price I suppose. 4 second margin of error will annoy you if you want chase KOMs on Strava.

touts wrote: »
    You can record a route as a .klm. Someone already answered the question I was going ask which is that this can be converted to a file strava can read. Of course no way to be sure until we try but that convinced me to go for one.

I discovered the kml file actually doesn't contain any time information so Strava doesn't accept it. You can save as GPX though when dealing with data you've imported. Strava isn't happy with this either as it must not strictly match the GPX format convention.

Will have a good look later, a Lidl GPS to Strava converter may need to be made for handiness. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

They have tonnes of gps units in Lidl clonee which isn't too far from Finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Ballincollig have loads of stuff, picked up some bib tights and gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Loads of GPS in the locked glass counter in Baldoyle.

I only went in to grab a pump as my own has been acting up lately.
    Came home let both tyres down, pumped up to 120psi to count pumps needed,
    let down again & re-pumped to 110psi and made a cup a tea and suddenly boom
    pssssssss behind me. Turned around and me back tyres flat. Dafuq? Then I notices
    that the front is also flat WTF? Both wheels were fine beforehand as I had had to
    let them down to try the pump out, 5 mins after using it and both tyres are flat.
    And 1 went with a bang. Thought it had ripped the tyres at the valves at 1st tbh.

So I investigates and the banger had a hole in the tube opposite the valve and the
    other had a tiny hole about 1 inch away from the valve. Checked wheels and inside
    the tyres for possible bits that may have punctured the tyres but found nothing.
    Strange as fuk, so dunno maybe the pressure guage is badly calibrated...

If anybody has the pump there let both tyres down and pump them back up.
    Warning: Explosions may occur, get one of the kids to do it ;)

Those gauges are far from calibrated. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. Best thing to do is just do it by feel, you should feel the tire being rock solid and the resistance in the pump as you push.

Followed the instructions for the GPS to create a route in google earth (using the path function). It seemed fairly straightforward. Will wait for advice from those more knowledgeable than I on converting into Strava.......

The mount seems to only allow mounting on the handlebar itself, and not on the stem like I'd planned (unless mounted sideways).

I was wrong there, part of the mount actually pops out and can be rotated 90 degrees so it does mount on the stem. Happy days. :)

I mounted the GPS computer onto the bike and gave it a test...

It mounts well on the bike, clicks nicely into the mount and stays in place.

87iUuT.jpg

The software is very basic, just usable for transferring data over and back from the computer. Even route-planning has to be done in Google Earth (save as kml) and passed through the software.

68PB3X.jpg

It can export files as KML or GPX standard formats but there are a few big issues with the files it saves....
    • It saves ALL your tracks into the one file, even if you select one. Odd.
    • Longitude values are positive instead of negative, so it maps a mirror image of the route in Germany. Was probably only tested in Germany, they may issue a firmware fix if possible and intend to sell in future.
    • Strava can't import the GPX file due to "formatting" problems.

So to get around this and test the output I did the following;
    1. Use this site to convert from GPX to GPX. :p It sorts the formatting.
    2. Now open in a plain text editor and you'll see your routes between the <trk> </trk> tags. Delete all the tracks apart from the one you wanted, they're named as they appear in the software.
    3. Do a find/replace and find lon=" and replace with lon="- .
    4. Upload to Strava.

The resulting data is actually pretty good. :) The wobbly path at the end is true, I called into two car parks and the loop at the end was when I took it off the bike and went through the shopping center... how it maintained GPS signal inside I don't know!! :confused:

6tH2Gc.jpg

View here: http://www.strava.com/activities/78503516

Hopefully I'll get time this weekend to put together a file converter to do all the tidying up and filtering of the files it produces. Something web-based I'd say, unless people prefer desktop app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I mounted the GPS computer onto the bike at gave it a test...

87iUuT.jpg

The software is very basic, just usable for transferring data over and back from the computer. Even route-planning has to be done in Google Earth (save as kml) and passed through the software.

68PB3X.jpg

It can export files as KML or GPX standard formats but there are a few big issues with the files it saves....
    • Longitude values are positive instead of negative, so it maps a mirror image of the route in Germany. Was probably only tested in Germany, they may issue a firmware fix if possible and intend to sell in future.

2. Now open in a plain text editor and you'll see your routes between the <trk> </trk> tags. Delete all the tracks apart from the one you wanted, they're named as they appear in the software.
    4. Upload to Strava.

The resulting data is actually pretty good. :) The wobbly path at the end is true, I called into two car parks and the loop at the end was when I took it off the bike and went through the shopping center... how it maintained GPS signal inside I don't know!! :confused:

6tH2Gc.jpg

Hopefully I'll get time this weekend to put together a file converter to do all the tidying up and filtering of the files it produces. Something web-based I'd say, unless people prefer desktop app.

That would be hard to fix if you were cycling around London east and west of Greenwich!

Did anyone find any XL cycling trousers anywhere? Loads of XL Bibs but all I could get was L and they're more like an M, very tight, would have preferred XL especially if Im putting another layer underneath in Winter, maybe just being a bit picky though, they'll probably be fine after breaking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

I call BS Joe Carpark me arse it looks like ya stopped at the pub 3k from home then continued on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anyone find any XL cycling trousers anywhere? Loads of XL Bibs but all I could get was L and they're more like an M, very tight, would have preferred XL especially if Im putting another layer underneath in Winter, maybe just being a bit picky though, they'll probably be fine after breaking in.

Got the trousers last year they went into clothing bin 2 weeks ago only used them 3 times don't fit well padding crap your prob better off spending extra few €s on decent ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Wont get in until after work. Any tyres suitable for road bikes in the winter?
    No. The tyres are MTB or fat (40mm) hybrid type.
    Was tempted to get a set of bib tights for winter too.

Wouldn't bother with the bibs. Chamois poor by all accounts. Spend GBP40 on a DHB set from wiggle instead - your ass is precious...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cdaly_ wrote: »
    your ass is precious...

ah here, lads, seriously, this is a family forum. get a room

I mounted the GPS computer onto the bike at gave it a test...

I'm currently charging my device after my colleague was able to get it for me earlier today. Could you give me a dummy's guide on how to record rides? It doesn't seem so obvious when I play around with the device?!

Feeling rather silly here!

I'm currently charging my device after my colleague was able to get it for me earlier today. Could you give me a dummy's guide on how to record rides? It doesn't seem so obvious when I play around with the device?!

Use the button on the right of the device to step back in the menu until you have screens with speed, distance etc that you can scroll left/right.

Then hold the middle button down for 3 seconds and you'll get three buttons for play (means record), pause or stop. When recording you can access those buttons again to pause or stop recording.

Decent page on it in the manual.

You need to read the manual. You are not going to work it out. It has potential to be a bargain but it is not intuitive for a new user. Read the manual. Then print out JOEs excellent posts above and staple them to the back of the manual which you should store in your helmet between rides. I get the feeling that in time this will seem like a bargain but the first few attempts at using the GPS and especially importing into strava will be frustrating.

• Advertisement

You need to read the manual. You are not going to work it out. It has potential to be a bargain but it is not intuitive for a new user. Read the manual. Then print out JOEs excellent posts above and staple them to the back of the manual which you should store in your helmet between rides. I get the feeling that in time this will seem like a bargain but the first few attempts at using the GPS and especially importing into strava will be frustrating.

After Joe's post, I've done a test and recorded a walk around the block. However uploading onto Strava is indeed proving frustrating, I've followed Joe's steps but I'm going wrong somewhere as strava keeps saying the file is unrecognised.

I think I'll return it to the Lidl at the weekend, too much hassle for a dummy like me. Prob best to just stick to using strava on my phone.

Joe- Thanks for your help and your useful post. You're a star! :)

I mounted the GPS computer onto the bike and gave it a test...

87iUuT.jpg

68PB3X.jpg

4. Upload to Strava.

6tH2Gc.jpg

Hi Joe,
    Firstly thanks for your excellent work so far. It's really appreciated.

I followed your steps above and they worked. However the one thing I would add is to warn people to make sure they change the file type from .kml to .gpx when saving the Track. As I discovered when I uploaded to strava .kml does not contain time data so Strava won't accept it. .gpx does so strava will accept it.

A file converter would be great. In terms of web-based or a desktop app I don't really mind. I'm just delighted someone is putting one together to help us get the most out of this GPS. Lidl should hire you!

Thanks Again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Couldn't see any GPS computers in Moore Street, Dublin around 9.30am. Don't think they were stocked there as I couldn't see any price-boards or empty shelves.

i was in there this morning and there were 4 or 5 of them left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

bren_mc wrote: »
    i was in there this morning and there were 4 or 5 of them left

Were they out on the shelves or did you have to ask for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Were they out on the shelves or did you have to ask for them?

they were in a separate display but right next to the cycling stuff - towards the back of the store. I think they might have been inside a glass case similar to some of the other electronic stuff - can't remember for sure as it's been two hours ago.:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement