Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marriage of Strongbow and Aoife - new venue

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭

The pageant of the Marriage of Strongbow and Aoife has been advertised as being in Cathedral Square.

Due to building works and other restrictions it has been moved this year to THE PLAZA - William Vincent Wallace Plaza opposite Reginald's Tower.

This is a retelling of the most important wedding in Irish history, the invitation of the Normans into Ireland and the siege and slaughter of the population - a hiberno-norse population - of Waterford.

Performances at 2 and 3.30 and the wedding supper afterwards at Revolution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What's with all that building work down by Reginald's tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What's with all that building work down by Reginald's tower?

Works going on at the old Bowery bar and club.
    Baileys new street is all tore up also looks like its getting a facelift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I take it this is today? :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I take it this is today? :confused::pac:

It's on Sunday, so you haven't missed out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Does anyone know if there is a web site / FB page on this production?

I would love to catch this on my lunch break, but need to know the running time .

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a web site / FB page on this production?

I would love to catch this on my lunch break, but need to know the running time .

Thanks.

Seems that it'll run for 30 minutes; it's on Sunday anyway so it shouldn't be a problem (unless you work on Sundays):
    http://www.heritageweek.ie//index.php/whats-on/event-search/#10022

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry, yes it is Sunday, I should have said. It lasts about 30 minutes.

Waterford Living History Society is performing it. Blood, guts, slaughter, and a wedding, what more could you want? And a very superior and opinionated (and racist) Giraldus Cambrensis telling the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Cheers Jennygirl, I should have done that too - I am up to my eyes in costumes and banners and lists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Is the reception out in the Woodlands?

• Advertisement

No, its in Revolution on Johns Street, 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Is the reception out in the Woodlands?

Avalon are playing at it.

looksee wrote: »
    No, its in Revolution on Johns Street, 5pm

It really is in Revolution, and anyone is welcome, provided they have €12 as a gift for the happy couple for the meal!

It really is in Revolution, and anyone is welcome, provided they have €12 as a gift for the happy couple for the meal!

Is it a sit down meal or just finger food?

Its a single course meal of medieval chicken (the cooking style, not the age of the chicken :-) )and flatbread. If you want dessert etc you can order off the usual menu. (toffee apple pie, yum)

And yes, it will be sit down with the cast in costume and suitable flags and stuff to make it look 'medieval'. Yes a medieval night club, ok, we are doing our best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Revolution should rename as Merlins for the night. /bad joke :D:pac:

Its a single course meal of medieval chicken (the cooking style, not the age of the chicken :-) )and flatbread. If you want dessert etc you can order off the usual menu. (toffee apple pie, yum)

And yes, it will be sit down with the cast in costume and suitable flags and stuff to make it look 'medieval'. Yes a medieval night club, ok, we are doing our best!

Is this event being organised by a private company?

No, the event is being organised by Waterford Living History Society which is a voluntary, self funded social group who like history and re-enacting. The meal in Rev is an attempt to start to bring the event into a situation where pubs etc can get involved in future years and start to make it a major event for Waterford.

Flash gets first dibs at it because he has supported us endlessly and given us all kinds of help, while still being a businessman. We would see ourselves in the future doing a tour round the town of any eateries etc that want to latch on.

Its about getting things moving in our very small way. We have not received any financial support for this production - there is no money around - but we think it is important both historically and in terms of activity in the town, and that is why we are doing it.

No, the event is being organised by Waterford Living History Society which is a voluntary, self funded social group who like history and re-enacting. The meal in Rev is an attempt to start to bring the event into a situation where pubs etc can get involved in future years and start to make it a major event for Waterford.

Flash gets first dibs at it because he has supported us endlessly and given us all kinds of help, while still being a businessman. We would see ourselves in the future doing a tour round the town of any eateries etc that want to latch on.

Its about getting things moving in our very small way. We have not received any financial support for this production - there is no money around - but we think it is important both historically and in terms of activity in the town, and that is why we are doing it.

Thanks for the info and I wish ye all the best of luck with this.

How often does the society meet up, and where? I'd really like to join up at some point - can't at the moment as my work isn't going well so I have no extra money to be spending on petrol shuttling around. Is the society focused primarily on training in arms, or do you do crafts as well (like spinning, smithing, etc.)? How is it different from the other groups around, like Deise medieval?

• Advertisement

Most reenactment groups are somewhat similar, but our interest is more in local Waterford productions, craft skills and history, though we do have fighters and weapons training. We can generally be found in Revolution on a Thursday evening, but half the club is in Dungarvan so we sometimes meet there, sometimes they come here. We are getting towards the end of the season now so things will change a bit for the winter, best thing would be to keep an eye on our facebook page and message us when you want to get in touch. https://www.facebook.com/thewaterfordvikings or email to waterfordlivinghistory@gmail.com.

That's great, thanks for the info. I've liked your page, and I'll get in touch when I'd be able to come and contribute. Hope to see you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Most reenactment groups are somewhat similar, but our interest is more in local Waterford productions, craft skills and history, though we do have fighters and weapons training. We can generally be found in Revolution on a Thursday evening, but half the club is in Dungarvan so we sometimes meet there, sometimes they come here. We are getting towards the end of the season now so things will change a bit for the winter, best thing would be to keep an eye on our facebook page and message us when you want to get in touch. https://www.facebook.com/thewaterfordvikings or email to waterfordlivinghistory@gmail.com.

Is it going to be as big a production as last year after most of the group split?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Went down to this this evening. Well done to those involved, we all really enjoyed it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Went in for the first of the two performances, great work! Great acting, great costumes, great gear - and all without funding! Good to see the work being done and highlighting our history which is mostly ignored!

Nice to see Flash (Revolution) getting involved for the dinner! Always works well for the community, not many businesses put in the effort in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Sully wrote: »
    Went in for the first of the two performances, great work! Great acting, great costumes, great gear - and all without funding! Good to see the work being done and highlighting our history which is mostly ignored!

Nice to see Flash (Revolution) getting involved for the dinner! Always works well for the community, not many businesses put in the effort in Waterford.

Was at the Second Show today --- well done to all concerned --- amazing how a little community spirit can be so inspirational! congrats - ye deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

we forgot the camera for the first one but have some great shots of the second, and did a lot of booing :) We need more of this kind of stuff.

get the pics up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

h5wd7d1l.jpg

nhsb36Bl.jpg

G1EGcTjl.jpg

laSottDl.jpg

kUe6loCl.jpg

there ya go, just a few of them

• Advertisement

the plaza is a great little spot that doesnt get used enough