Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qsat Hughes Modem to Belkin Wireless G Router

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering has anyone set up a wireless network off a modem (which has no wireless capabilities)? I have a Qsat satellite modem which works fine when connected directly to the PC using an RJ45 cable but I can't seem to set up a wireless network as my wireless Belkin G router has an input which is a standard phone line input (RJ11 I think) whereas the Qsat modem only has an RJ45 output. The Belkin manual suggest that the only way to connect the Wireless G Belkin router to the internet (Qsat) connection is via this RJ11 so is it a case of simply getting a cable which is RJ45 at one end (plugged into the Qsat) and RJ11 at the other (plugged into the Belkin wireless)?
    There are 4 standard RJ45 ethernet ports on the belkin but this does not appear to be for incoming connections. Has anyone else got a similar setup?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It looks as if your Belkin model is a combined dsl modem/router which will not always work in the circumstances you want it to work in here - could you give the model number of the belkin? Ideally you need what is often referred to generically as a cable router.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Thanks for the reply. I think it is a combination of DSL and router as it has an ADSL port and 4 Ethernet ports. It is a Belkin G Wireless Modem Router and I think the model is f5d7634-4.
    If this is not the best option here, what would be the best option which would act as a simple wireless router that accepts an RJ45 cable?

Advertisement