Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is digi web or the likes really an option?

• 22-08-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Moving to country area in next week, looking at broadband options, Eircom and the likes are offering up to 7m download, mobile broadband looks like its hit and miss, I've never used digi web or company's like them but what is people's experience? Does it work? Am I mad looking at it? Are the speeds the say really going to happen?

Any news or experiences on this would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Avoid satellite like a hole in the head, it's generally crap with monstrous ping times and sliding windows for downloads and throttling etc.

Generally 8Mb broadband (DSL) is far far better than any satellite offering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Chap that I work with had a horrendous experience with Digiweb, he is now with http://www.net1.ie/contactus/ and swears by them - reliable connection and fast enough (up to 5Mb). Not sure about their download limits or costs.

I'm with Vodafone at Home (until my 18 month contract ends :-( and only getting up to 2Mb in an area 2 miles from the nearest town.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Cheers, won't go near them then, il look at the mobile broadband and see will that work first, I was sure the digiweb idea had improved but glad to see I hadn't agreed something got a contract and then had poor service, couldn't afford that mess up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

check out fixed wireless offerings in your new area before going to mobile....

bealtine wrote: »
    check out fixed wireless offerings in your new area before going to mobile....

I've just emailed Eircom with a landline number that's next to where we will be and they will hopefully be able to tell me what I can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I used to be with Digiweb, using their mobile broadband.

Can honestly say they were a good company with great support, and I had a pretty good run with them til I decided to change ISP. Reason being that I wanted a larger bandwidth cap, theirs at the time was 15GB.

The ISP I switched to from them is absolutely USELESS!!! And I totally regret switching over - but after the yearly contract Digiweb's stopped offering their mobile broadband package :(

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I used to be with Digiweb, using their mobile broadband.

Can honestly say they were a good company with great support, and I had a pretty good run with them til I decided to change ISP. Reason being that I wanted a larger bandwidth cap, theirs at the time was 15GB.

The ISP I switched to from them is absolutely USELESS!!! And I totally regret switching over - but after the yearly contract Digiweb's stopped offering their mobile broadband package :(

Cheers for that, il keep it in mind, il wait and see what everyone in area has on offer and then make a call on it, thanks for all the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

The digiweb satellite like all satellite is not great and should only be used as a last resort, however Digiweb also do a fixed wireless service, this consists of an antenna on your house pointed at a mast on a local hill, it has a good reputation, in fact fixed wireless can be equal to or better than traditional broadband over a phone line in some areas. There are many fixed wireless providers serving different parts of the country, some of which are very good, as bealtine said you should find who serves your area and what their reputation is.

Satellite is available everywhere, fixed wireless is only available if you live within range of their masts, you should clarify what type of service is available to you as fixed wireless from Digiweb, Net1 and other providers is often a good option and very reliable. If it was a choice between fixed wireless and a mobile broadband dongle you would most likely be better with the fixed wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

stay away from satellite, it is just horrible. 3G in that regard, too.
    Fixed wireless is alright, but cable obviously is the best option for stability.

Advertisement