Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heel Blisters with new boots - boots too big?

• 22-08-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

So I’ll try to make this as brief as possible…

Bought a pair of Meindl Vacuum GT about 3 months ago. Not going to name the store. So it was a very busy Saturday but in fairness they sized up my feet and gave another option etc and I chose the Meindl. Went for a walk around the shop and they seemed very comfy, which in fairness, they are when you slide them on. (so if there’s any implications, I’m at least partly to blame here – however my job is not sizing boots obviously…)

They gave me a size 12, I’m a size 11 and I don’t think I’ve ever had a size 12 for anything in my life, but again I was trusting them and in any case I don’t think its very unusual to go a size up for a hiking boot.

I’ve used them quite regularly since – a reasonably long hike at least on average every 10 days (more lately) plus wearing them to work when I walk to work to break them in.

I’ve had crazy heel blisters on a couple of occasions. Mainly on the incline on decent inclines like Lugnaquilla. I’ve attached a pic of the one on my left foot, (which is worse since that foot is slightly smaller) just so you know what I’m talking about. The ones you’re looking at probably came open a good 20 mins before the top of Lug. That had me out of action for over a week.

Since then I’ve tried lacing techniques and changed socks etc but obviously made it my business to get back to the shop recently and tell them my woes, after I knew things just weren’t right. The guy was very helpful in fairness and we spent a good 30 mins going trying out various insoles options. We finally settled on the one with the least amount of heel slippage and I forked out another wad of cash for those :) I swear there seems to be massive industry in supplying insoles, despite the fact that store employees are paid to recommend the right boot for the right foot. (that’s for another post)
    Anyways…hiked up Lug last weekend and things were better but blisters had developed nonetheless. I was better, I wasn’t too uncomfortable but still slightly worrying.

At this stage I’m reasonably happy to go with them however my nagging worry is that they have simply given me a boot that is too big and they’re trying to patch it up with insoles. I do feel a lot of room in the boots after I’ve been walking for a while. I dearly hope this wouldn’t be the case and that a reputable store would be able to put their hands up and say it was badly fitted. The last thing I want to be doing is hassling the nice store folk but if it was the case that there were giving me the brush off I’d be livid obviously.

I guess the only way to find out is to maybe get a 2nd opinion from another store or somewhere?

What would you recommend I do? How common is this after having the boots for so long?

I’m heading to Nepal in 6 weeks time to Base Camp and Island Peak so I’m getting a bit nervous for me aul feet to be honest. The daily inclines won’t be too bad on the trek in general but for Island Peak it could get nasty and if I get blisters like below its gonna be fairly cataclysmic.

Thanks in advance

wou4.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

If you're keeping the boots your only option is extra socks.

I've tried all the various techniques for blister prevention but none of them really work.

I'd recommend 2 pairs of heavyweight Bridgedale socks, if the boots are very loose.

A combination of heavyweight, midweight or lightweight if the two heavys are too big.

On the issue of whether you got the correct size or not.
    It sounds like you got the wrong size boots alright so if I were you I'd go back and explain the situation, the trip to Nepal etc. Tell them you need different boots and see what they suggest.

I wouldn't even think about going trekking in Nepal with such new boots AND a blister problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I suppose what I need to know is if I should be keeping the boots? You know what I mean? That's why I was thinking of maybe somewhere to get a second opinion.

At €200+, if they've been badly fitted then I have a gripe with the shop, even if I did stroll around the shop and get a good first impression. (when I put them on the always feel OK initially).

I wouldn't want to face a few of years hiking in badly fitted boots, screwing up my feet and having me to shell out for all kinds of paraphernalia to cover it up.

I suppose what I need to know is if I should be keeping the boots? You know what I mean? That's why I was thinking of maybe somewhere to get a second opinion.

At €200+, if they've been badly fitted then I have a gripe with the shop, even if I did stroll around the shop and get a good first impression. (when I put them on the always feel OK initially).

I wouldn't want to face a few of years hiking in badly fitted boots, screwing up my feet and having me to shell out for all kinds of paraphernalia to cover it up.

It seems like you're looking for a way to blame the shop and return the boots?

In my opinion your best bet is to just speak to them and explain that you've got the wrong sized boots, I'm sure it happens quite regularly so I'm sure they've a procedure for dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I do feel a lot of room in the boots after I’ve been walking for a while.

Thats maybe your probelm then. After I read your post I initially was going to suggest wearing 2 pairs of socks. which solved all my blister woes with a pair of boots I had, but they should be comfortably tight. If there is room in them then they will rub on your feet and you will get blisters. To be honest, Id take them back.

The Dagda wrote: »
    It seems like you're looking for a way to blame the shop and return the boots?

In my opinion your best bet is to just speak to them and explain that you've got the wrong sized boots, I'm sure it happens quite regularly so I'm sure they've a procedure for dealing with it.

I don't really understand that first comment. If they are badly fitted, they are badly fitted??? This is nothing to do with trying to blame someone. I don't need to be trying to get anyone in trouble. The only thing in trouble is me feet!

I need a pair of boots, and I need to break them in. It serves me in no way, to be returning them.

I'm just concerned that someone, in all innocence, might have rushed the job, measured the feet etc but got the size wrong. I also added at the start that I am at least partly to blame since I walked around the shop in them and thought they seemed alright. But its very hard to assess a hiking boot strolling around a shop floor.

Hence the idea of getting a 2nd opinion if anyone had any good recommendations?

I also said that I have been back to them recently to say all the above! They gave me insoles etc for another €50...I'm trusting them that they wouldn't do this if they thought the boots were simply too big, to avoid a return or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I don't really understand that first comment. If they are badly fitted, they are badly fitted??? This is nothing to do with trying to blame someone. I don't need to be trying to get anyone in trouble. The only thing in trouble is me feet!

I need a pair of boots, and I need to break them in. It serves me in no way, to be returning them.

I'm just concerned that someone, in all innocence, might have rushed the job, measured the feet etc but got the size wrong. I also added at the start that I am at least partly to blame since I walked around the shop in them and thought they seemed alright. But its very hard to assess a hiking boot strolling around a shop floor.

I also said that I have been back to them recently to say all the above! They gave me insoles etc for another €50...I'm trusting them that they wouldn't do this if they thought the boots were simply too big, to avoid a return or whatever.

Meindl are a well known and respected brand. Just had alook on their website and spotted this quote on one of their pages:
    Only a boot, which really fits, makes you happy.

That says it all.

Theres a reason why Guinness send a guy round in a van making sure pubs are serving it correctly; because a badly poured or served pint affects the brand. A badly fitting boot offered by a company proud of its well fitting boots affects their brand. I'd take them back and tell them everything youve said here. Well fitting boots might blister you on the first couple of trips out but it should taper off after a while, these havn't. As you said they are loose even after you've been walking for a while. Ask to be re-measured, and try on a few other boots.

In my opinion if the boots are badly fitted then it's your fault. No matter how good the person in the store is, they can't see inside the boots when you were trying them.

Looking for a 2nd opinion, and hoping that 2nd opinion gives you a stick to beat the shop with is a chickensh*t way of dealing with the problem.

You've got the wrong boots, go talk, like an adult, to someone in the shop and sort the situation out.

As Syklops said above it's in no ones interest for this problem to persist.

In my opinion if the boots are badly fitted then it's your fault. No matter how good the person in the store is, they can't see inside the boots when you were trying them.

Looking for a 2nd opinion, and hoping that 2nd opinion gives you a stick to beat the shop with is a chickensh*t way of dealing with the problem.

You've got the wrong boots, go talk, like an adult, to someone in the shop and sort the situation out.

As Syklops said above it's in no ones interest for this problem to persist.

Yes, opinions are what they are indeed.

A person in a store is paid to first of all size a foot, then be familiar with the boots in the ranges and select some appropriate options. If they have made a mistake, which is possible, then the fault doesn't lie with them? Interesting.

I myself am open to the possibility that either:

a) they HAVE made a mistake, so it is futile for me to persevere with the boots and they should admit to it and see what the options are

b) they HAVEN'T made a mistake and for some reason the boot just isn't working so I have to try to make it work, or buy another pair

A 2nd opinion may help in this regard.

I don't think you read the whole OP, because you're still talking about me going back to shop and talking to them about it. I have already repeated myself (see post #6, paragraph 6), for your benefit, and said that I've done this.

See paragraph 6 of the OP, and keep your chickensh*t comments to yourself.

Yes, opinions are what they are indeed.

A person in a store is paid to first of all size a foot, then be familiar with the boots in the ranges and select some appropriate options. If they have made a mistake, which is possible, then the fault doesn't lie with them? Interesting.

I myself am open to the possibility that either:

a) they HAVE made a mistake, so it is futile for me to persevere with the boots and they should admit to it and see what the options are

b) they HAVEN'T made a mistake and for some reason the boot just isn't working so I have to try to make it work, or buy another pair

A 2nd opinion may help in this regard.

I don't think you read the whole OP, because you're still talking about me going back to shop and talking to them about it. I have already repeated myself (see post #6, paragraph 6), for your benefit, and said that I've done this.

See paragraph 6 of the OP, and keep your chickensh*t comments to yourself.

Look it's obvious you're looking to find fault with the store and get them to fix the problem. You said it's nothing to do with blaming anyone, yet your post above is filled with the word mistake.

The way to deal with this issue is to tackle it directly with the store, yet you seem unwilling to just go back to the store and ask them to help.

Yes you went back already, but you ended up with insoles which implies you didn't give them the impression that you wanted different boots.

You need to have a conversation with them about what your options are with getting different boots.

Look it's obvious you're looking to find fault with the store and get them to fix the problem. You said it's nothing to do with blaming anyone, yet your post above is filled with the word mistake.

The way to deal with this issue is to tackle it directly with the store, yet you seem unwilling to just go back to the store and ask them to help.

Yes you went back already, but you ended up with insoles which implies you didn't give them the impression that you wanted different boots.

You need to have a conversation with them about what your options are with getting different boots.

incorrect i'm afraid. that's the danger of making unfounded assumptions.

i went back to the shop and told them straight up i thought the boots might be too big and what my options were.

in fact the first thing i did just before that was not mention the boots and ask for a sizing, as I was interested to see if it was consistent to recommend a 12 in the Meindls. i was hoping they might just do this but he asked straight away if i owned boots and if i had them with me, i didn't want to lie so i took them out of my backpack. but i would have preferred if he had just sized them without knowing i had already been recommended a size 12s at the store. there's already a conflict of interest then.

at that point it was straight into insole talk. i'm not accusing them of anything by the way. you seem to think i'm on a witch hunt but i'm looking for advice on a forum and you're not helping dude so perhaps you might consider holding your next post.

as for your comment "The way to deal with this issue is to tackle it directly with the store, yet you seem unwilling to just go back to the store and ask them to help. "

seriously?

• Advertisement

incorrect i'm afraid. that's the danger of making unfounded assumptions.

i went back to the shop and told them straight up i thought the boots might be too big and what my options were.

in fact the first thing i did just before that was not mention the boots and ask for a sizing, as I was interested to see if it was consistent to recommend a 12 in the Meindls. i was hoping they might just do this but he asked straight away if i owned boots and if i had them with me, i didn't want to lie so i took them out of my backpack. but i would have preferred if he had just sized them without knowing i had already been recommended a size 12s at the store. there's already a conflict of interest then.

at that point it was straight into insole talk. i'm not accusing them of anything by the way. you seem to think i'm on a witch hunt but i'm looking for advice on a forum and you're not helping dude so perhaps you might consider holding your next post.

as for your comment "The way to deal with this issue is to tackle it directly with the store, yet you seem unwilling to just go back to the store and ask them to help. "

seriously?

Ok so, let's play a game.

You get your 2nd opinion, and the 2nd opinion says, "dude you were advised to buy size 12 Meindls?! Man that's crazy, you're a size 11 not 12? Someone made a mistake when they told you were size 12"

What are you gonna do then?

I think you can answer that yourself. You obviously have a bit more time than I do.

I think the problem is, this whole thread is a bit of game to you compadre. I ain't playin no more.

Excellent work my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

So I’ll try to make this as brief as possible…

Bought a pair of Meindl Vacuum GT about 3 months ago. Not going to name the store. So it was a very busy Saturday but in fairness they sized up my feet and gave another option etc and I chose the Meindl. Went for a walk around the shop and they seemed very comfy, which in fairness, they are when you slide them on. (so if there’s any implications, I’m at least partly to blame here – however my job is not sizing boots obviously…)

They gave me a size 12, I’m a size 11 and I don’t think I’ve ever had a size 12 for anything in my life, but again I was trusting them and in any case I don’t think its very unusual to go a size up for a hiking boot.

Did the shop recommend the Meindl's or did you choose them ?

My two cents worth is that ...

Different brands have different sizing's so I wouldn't worry about that so much. Winter boots for example will need to be sized up to allow for warmer socks than summer boots.

Standard practice when buying new boots is to wear them around the house for a few days and if not satisfied then they can be brought back in perfect condition.

Blisters only appear after a period of "hot spot" ... this should be dealt with immediately you feel a "hot spot" by putting on a compeed or taping it up with duct tape or similar.

I'd say you won't have much of a case for a return unless the shop are very obliging but you could clean them up and sell them as second hand and recoup some of your money to put towards a pair of size 11 if you think that is the right size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I was in exactly the same position about five years ago, I had purchased a new pair of Mendl boots and after hiking every weekend for over a year my heals would still get destroyed

IMO the only solution is to buy a couple of pair of these

http://www.feetlife.co.uk/Walking-and-Hiking/Silipos-Boot-Bumper.htm

I bought the gel socks for a trip to Nepal, climbed Island Peak and my feet came back as fresh as the day I left and I have not had a single blister in the last 4 years

sizing is quite large so I would go with the small/medium option, they are sold per foot so buy at least 4

the initial recommendation after we spoke was the Meindl and another kind of lightweight boot, can't remember the name. I remember telling him initially that I'd researched the major brands (all the obvious ones) and mentioned Meindl amongst them as they kept cropping up as recommendations. I also said I had a good budget etc. In hindsight if I was doing it again, I probably wouldn't mention any brands or whatever. I tried them both on and the Meindl felt better, more robust.

What your saying is exactly what I was thinking to be honest. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take them back.

But I still maintain it would be useful to find out (however that is) whether the boot is simply too big. I don't think that's unreasonable even if some people seem to to think it is for some reason. That's why I'm wondering did anyone have an iron-clad recommendation for a seriously specialised fitter that I could go to. I may not buy a pair of boots off them but I'd certainly make it worth their while and invest in some paraphernalia I need for the trip.

I probably wouldn't be as uptight about it all if I wasn't off trekking in 6 weeks. Its a kinda of make or break time considering the time it takes to break in a new pair. My absolute priority is my feet not fingering the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I probably wouldn't be as uptight about it all if I wasn't off trekking in 6 weeks. Its a kinda of make or break time considering the time it takes to break in a new pair. My absolute priority is my feet not fingering the blame.

I would much prefer to have a pair of boot that were too big rather than too small, don't forget your feet will swell a lot when your hiking at altitude in Nepal.

I have recommended the product to a number of people in the past and they work for all, I would be shocked if it doesn't sort out your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

There are a few options for boots which are too big. You can get volume reducers. Kind of blank soles which fit under the proper sole which will reduce the volume inside and make the shoe more cosy. You could also get a pair of Super Feet insoles or something like that. They usually improve the overall fit of a boot. They aren't cheap (around 50euro) but a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots!

I used both volume reducers and Super Feet insoles on a pair of boots which were too big and they worked great. Ended up being very comfy.

Advertisement