Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfeigh Church - quick question

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Rathfeigh church has a toilet in it? I'm driving a bit of a way there to a wedding today so I'll definitely need to use the facilities before the ceremony! I just want to know if I'll need to find somewhere on the way to stop off if not.

If anyone knows offhand, that would be great!

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Probably too late for you, but yes it does. In fact it's a particularly historical toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I thought it was just the maintenance shed..... tell me more.... :confused:

No, it was the watch-house for the old cemetery. For a number of nights after a burial, an armed watchman would spend the night there and guard the grave. At the time, grave robbers could make a few quid with the sale of fresh cadavers! It was a common enough problem for cemeteries within easy reach of Dublin. It's a pity it was turned into a toilet, but at least it is being maintained.

Fascinating - I thought Grave Robbing was a Dublin phenomenon..... It's a pity the graveyard itself is so neglected looking (although I'm probably wrong).

The N2 (as it's known now) was a very good road even back then, so it wouldn't have taken the thieves long to run over and back from Dublin. Not much has changed in that respect!

The old graveyard is cleaned up once or twice a year. It's not always easy to get volunteers these days for jobs like that.

• Advertisement

You should have a look at Danestown.... that was a volunteer job and it was in a similar condition for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GeriMc73

This question is a bit unconnected with the original post but we are having our wedding in Rathfeigh and we heard that you have to pay someone to watch the cars during the ceremony. Don't want to ignore the warning and have someone's day ruined.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Not sure about who you would pay, or who would do the watching, but yes it is certainly worth arranging someone to watch the cars. As with all remote locations, thieves take advantage when cars are left with valuables left for the taking. With a wedding the guests are so excited with all that's going on they often forget about basic security and leave bags or presents visible in the car. It has happened a few times (not just in Rathfeigh, all around the county, and no doubt the country). Somebody usually volunteers to watch the car park for local weddings and funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

the last occupant of the watch house lived to the ripe old age of 115, he fought in the crimean war and when he heard lads were joining up to gop to the front in WW1, he got them together and drilled them up and down the street passing his knowledge of trench warfare along. Many of those that came back say his lessons kept them alive. his name was john Mitchell

Was he connected to the Mitchell family of Brownstown House by any chance?

• Advertisement

i'm not sure,he was RC and had a big family

I think they were RC too......I must ask my Mam.
    The area is steeped in Big House history - it's a wonder no-one ever wrote a book on it......

I don't think there was a connection to Brownstown Hse but could be wrong. I was in contact with a relative of John's a couple of years ago. An interesting story. There are doubts understandably regarding the age recorded at death. And there was the sad fact that he ended his days at the workhouse in Navan. Would be interested in where you got the info regarding John Mitchell being the last occupant of the watch-house sickpuppy32 - could you drop me a PM with more detail ? I'm part of the local historical society so new info is always welcome. Thanks :-)

I saw an article on him in the meath examiner after he died in 1915? They had interviewed him beforehand. He had fought in the crimean war and remembered the great excitement when the battle of waterloo was won! There are workhouse records where the board discuss his admittance but i'm fairly sure he was admitted to the "infirmary" section of it till his death. The workhouse records also give his cause of death - gangrene in the foot and senility. I spoke to his grandson-in-law (gerry white?) a few years ago. Gerry was over 100 and died a few months after but his memory was clear and he was the one who told me that John lived in the watch house. I also came across a parliamentary record on him from 1908 when the old age pension was introduced - never followed it up throughly though. There is definitely an articles worth on him. I'll see if i can dig up my old notes. Due to a silly error in my research I initially thought he was my great great grandfather, hence the research but then i was contacted by an actual relative by the name of Smyth and i gave him a lot of my notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Berteee

Hi,
    Just wondering are you's talking about the little hut where there are toilets right beside the old graveyard to the right of it. I had been told that little place was Rathfeigh School many years back.

There also used to be Mitchell's that had a small shop years back around that area if you know that. Perhaps a relative of the John Mitchell mentioned.

Yes, it's the little hut to the left of the gate we are talking about. :)

I asked at home about it, that little hut was a grave watchers hut alright. The area of the car park there was a school there years ago.
    I always was able to source who John Mitchell was. He was related to a the Mitchells who owned the shop that I was asking about above. I'm not sure however if he had any relatives still alive locally or not though.

i orignally thought i was related to john mitchell but it turns out an error was made (wrong john mitchell!) . Gerry whyte who lives locally is a relative, also a couple of years back another relative contacted me - name escapes me sorry

i orignally thought i was related to john mitchell but it turns out an error was made (wrong john mitchell!) . Gerry whyte who lives locally is a relative, also a couple of years back another relative contacted me - name escapes me sorry

Was it Ken ?

I have a photo of the old Rathfeigh School somewhere. It was a fairly large building. I'll try and dig it up.

Thanks sickpuppy32 !

An old picture would be great to see. My parents would appreciate it more than me.
    There is a great view when your on the old graveyard on looking all the green fields.

<snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement