Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with soggy Patch in the garden?

• 22-08-2013 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am living in rented accommodation. My landlord used to live in the house before he start renting it out. What he done was he built a massive shed out the back yard. The only way I can describe it is its like a log cabin. It is very handy for storing stuff. Going from the shed right to the back door and taking up the majority of the garden he has decking. Wouldn't be my choice for the the garden but I can live with it. So down the very bottom of the garden there is a grass patch maybe 15ft by 15ft. It is like a swamp. Every time it rains it just goes soggy. If you walk down the back of the grass patch it doesn't be swampy. It's just up where you walk onto the decking. I was thinking about turning the whole thing over and sowing grass on it. But then I thought maybe it would flood. Any tips on what to do with this area would be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am living in rented accommodation. My landlord used to live in the house before he start renting it out. What he done was he built a massive shed out the back yard. The only way I can describe it is its like a log cabin. It is very handy for storing stuff. Going from the shed right to the back door and taking up the majority of the garden he has decking. Wouldn't be my choice for the the garden but I can live with it. So down the very bottom of the garden there is a grass patch maybe 15ft by 15ft. It is like a swamp. Every time it rains it just goes soggy. If you walk down the back of the grass patch it doesn't be swampy. It's just up where you walk onto the decking. I was thinking about turning the whole thing over and sowing grass on it. But then I thought maybe it would flood. Any tips on what to do with this area would be great.

Check your written agreement/contract with regards modifying/digging up the garden and also ask the landlord 1st if you have permission to dig up the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Adding sand would improve the drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

paddy147 wrote: »
    Check your written agreement/contract with regards modifying/digging up the garden and also ask the landlord 1st if you have permission to dig up the garden.

There is no issue there with doing it. He said just do what I want with it but I just have to pay for it myself. He won't spend cash on it.

Egan2012 wrote: »
    There is no issue there with doing it. He said just do what I want with it but I just have to pay for it myself. He won't spend cash on it.

You could use part of that sodden/soggy/swampy patch to create a bog garden.

Plants like loosestrifes and ferns would look very well in a bog garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

There could be a spring nearby, in which case you would be wasting your time. What type of soil have you got/where are you located? My parents live near Pottery Road in Dun Laoghaire and as the name implies, the soil is really heavy and just clogs when it rains. They put in considerable surface drainage which has improved the situation, but it hasnt gone away..

As paddy147 suggested, make use of it, dont try and fight it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Olivine

How about spreading mypex membrane over the area and throwing a thick layer of gravel on top of it. Add paving slabs as stepping stones, as its difficult to walk over thick gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Olivine wrote: »
    How about spreading mypex membrane over the area and throwing a thick layer of gravel on top of it. Add paving slabs as stepping stones, as its difficult to walk over thick gravel.
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea. How much is gravel these days? The area is about 15ft by 15ft

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Make her sleep in it

Olivine wrote: »

Propper underground/below ground drainage work to even contemplate anything that.

If the OP were to do what you have said,then over a short period of time it will become like one of the bumpy and lumpy obstacle coarses on Wipeout.

It will sink down into the soggy/sodden ground/soil below.....it will absolutely look sh!t

Advertisement