Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Online Banking

Options
  • 22-08-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've recently decided to close my account with BOI and move to another financial institution.

My primary reason for doing so was to have a bank which offers a better online banking system as well as an overall better customer service approach when it comes to things like credit cards loans etc.

I had initially planned to move to AIB but from doing some investigation and talking to AIB customers, the banking fees are just very off putting.

Finally, I feel PTSB offer the better service when it comes to transaction fees and so I'm thinking of moving to them. However, my concern would be with their online banking.

Can anyone who uses it tell me how they find it?
    I prefer to do all my banking online and would very rarely visit a branch. Ideally I would like easy access to both my current and savings account, as well as be able to make online transactions without a big fuss. This is a particular nightmare with BOI.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I find it excellent. All transactions are clearly identified, along with balance, available balance and outstanding transactions. Movement to other accounts is very easy, as is paying bills etc. Very easy to add new accounts and new payment destinations.

Never had a problem and I'm comfortable with it. Then again, I never used online banking with another bank

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

No complaints with open24 or their online banking platform, I do all my banking online and it has been years since I stood in a branch so I guess it good enough for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smellyeve

Thanks guys, sounds good!

Do either of you know of you can transfer to and from your savings account online?

It's nice to have the security that if need be you can get to your savings easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

smellyeve wrote: »
    Thanks guys, sounds good!

Do either of you know of you can transfer to and from your savings account online?

It's nice to have the security that if need be you can get to your savings easily.

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Next to browser based banking they also have an iPhone and Android App that are excellent and allow you to do most stuff that way. I actually prefer the iPhone over web.

Transfers to/from savings accounts are real time so access to funds is quick and you can see all your PTSB accounts (including VISA card) online.

Setting up transfers to other accounts 3rd party accounts is slightly complicated to set up for security reasons. You will need to have your mobile phone ready as they will text you a code you have to enter at the end of the process but once that is done transfers can be done without that.

They also offer electronic statements but I found that because there is no automatic notification of availability of new statements that it's not really the best but you might want to try it, you can revert back to paper by calling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 smellyeve

Next to browser based banking they also have an iPhone and Android App that are excellent and allow you to do most stuff that way. I actually prefer the iPhone over web.

Transfers to/from savings accounts are real time so access to funds is quick and you can see all your PTSB accounts (including VISA card) online.

Setting up transfers to other accounts 3rd party accounts is slightly complicated to set up for security reasons. You will need to have your mobile phone ready as they will text you a code you have to enter at the end of the process but once that is done transfers can be done without that.

They also offer electronic statements but I found that because there is no automatic notification of availability of new statements that it's not really the best but you might want to try it, you can revert back to paper by calling them.

Thanks Dublin-Texas.

The third party payment system still seems better than the BOI one which involves a whole rigmarole of getting a code sent out in post which takes five workings days. My phone is like my crutch so it's never to far away from me anyway!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I was BOI customer for 17 years before going to PTSB. I haven't had any problems with OPEN24. Excellent customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Personally, I haven't found much of a difference between the two. The BOI one is shinier, but ultimately I've found them both as user friendly.

Just to point out that BOI does allow you to set up transfers by mobile, but you are limited to a lower daily transfer limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I've just changed from AIB to PTSB due to colossal fees because I use online banking daily. So far I've been happy with the switch and not having to pay fees is always a good thing but I'm not so keen on OPEN24. It's not as user friendly as AIB banking online but maybe it just takes getting used to.

Does anyone know if I can name my accounts online, with AIB I had them named as my own and our joint account and it made it much easier. With PTSB they both just show as the account numbers , as I'm not used to the accounts yet I have to keep going back and checking the numbers. Also with AIB my debit card for the joint account had Mrs. on it , my own account didn't so I could differentiate between the cards. Both PTSB cards have MRS so I've had to mark one with a J so I know which account I'm spending from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karen23 wrote: »
    I've just changed from AIB to PTSB due to colossal fees because I use online banking daily. So far I've been happy with the switch and not having to pay fees is always a good thing but I'm not so keen on OPEN24. It's not as user friendly as AIB banking online but maybe it just takes getting used to.

Does anyone know if I can name my accounts online, with AIB I had them named as my own and our joint account and it made it much easier. With PTSB they both just show as the account numbers , as I'm not used to the accounts yet I have to keep going back and checking the numbers. Also with AIB my debit card for the joint account had Mrs. on it , my own account didn't so I could differentiate between the cards. Both PTSB cards have MRS so I've had to mark one with a J so I know which account I'm spending from.

I was able to give my savings accounts a name when creating them online, I don't know if it can be changed though. You'd probably have to ring them up to rename the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I bank with ptsb and Ulster bank, while the wife uses aib. Aib seems like a lot of hassle, messing about with a card with loads if numbers on it to do anything. Open 24 is just ok, it does the job, but isn't the most intuitive. The android app is terrible. I like the ulster anytime banking site. No problems working it and easy to get round. The android app is quite simple, buy does everything well. I use it daily, and is handy. The simple log-on is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

With AIB it names all your pending transactions with each amount, OPEN24 just gives a total amount. PTSB sends you a text with a code , with AIB you have a card reader to give a code so not much difference there. I find AIB online much easier to use but the more I'm using OPEN24 , the more I dislike it. Shame that I use it so much because I've absolutely no other complaints with PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Karen23 wrote: »
    PTSB sends you a text with a code , with AIB you have a card reader to give a code so not much difference there.
    I moved from mobile tan to a tan list bank here in Germany (because everything else was better) but I think mobile tans are way more convenient than card readers and safer than code cards/tan lists.

I see it as a huge plus when a bank uses mobile tans actually.

Advertisement