Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelvic girdle pain -acupuncture?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello ladies,

I'm week 36 and have a really bad Pelvic girdle pain. It started a couple of weeks ago with hip pain after sleeping and I didn't know what Pelvic girdle pain was so I continued power walking and doing pilates which I think made it worse. This week I can barely walk! It's not long to go but I don't want the last weeks to be torture.

I've read that acupuncture can work really well. Anyone tried acupuncture for PGP/back pain and can give me tips on clinics in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

havent' tried acupuncture, but there are belts you can get that will "hold your hips together" (for want of a better word) and at least help with walking and all.

I would have been lost without mine (got it from the maternity physios here - and even if I sound like a broken record - I cannot recommend the maternity physios highly enough - they're absolutely brilliant. Check with your hospital or your GP for a referral!).

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 avemar

Thanks for the tip! I've booked a GP visit first thing next week so hopefully will get a referral to physio here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I suffered with it during my second pregnancy- I found the belt helped but at that stage of my pregnancy it also put pressure on my bladder and I had to wee even more frequently so it was a bit of a swings and roundabouts thing for me.

The thing that helped me the most was a cranio-sacral osteopath. He gave me a lot of relief in that pregnancy and when I started visiting him at an earlier stage of my third pregnancy I had no problems at all. Its very gentle, no back cracking just gentle manipulation. I also had acupuncture for foetal positioning which helped me a lot. I'm sorry that I can't recommend a practitioner in Ireland as I'm living overseas.

Another thing that I found gave me relief was swimming- our hospital had antenatal swimming classes which was basically gentle exercise and a bit of floating about in the physio pool- it was really nice to get the pressure off for an hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I second the belt, it's great for support - I wear mine in work, without it I'd be killed at the end of a 13hr shift on my feet!
    Another thing to consider is that a physio referral - depending on the waiting list in your area - might not be for a while, my sister was referred for SPD pain and the date she got was a month after her due date! She went private to get an immediate appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 avemar

Thanks a lot for your replies. I will definitely try the belt.
    nikpmup: Yes, that's what I'm afraid of, and thought that getting acupuncture may be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

physio may depend on where you are I guess - I got the referral, rang up and had an appointment 2 weeks later. Once you're 'in' the system though, it's much easier to get repeat appointments as well. I would be seriously fecked without the physios as this stage...(and another 22 weeks to go...:o)

osteopathy is brilliant too - however, most practicioners here wouldn't go near you when you are pregnant, unfortunately (same with most 'normal' physio and massage therapists. Must be an insurance thing?).

Advertisement