Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hawkeye

• 22-08-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭

What do people think of Hawkeye so far in the Premier League?

Finally introduced but called up in replays for clear non goals. I hope it makes a difference for a least one goal during the season to justify it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Clear non goals ?

For some of the decisions it was rather unclear whether the ball crossed the line, and the system provided a good view on the incidents.

I'd say it's already justified it's existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Clear non goals ?

Just the ones I saw. I only got to see about 3 of the games at the weekend and it was more a case of 'ooh let's have a gander at our shiny new goal line technology'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The hawkeye bit we see is just for the fans - the decision has already been made. As soon as the ball crosses the line, the ref will be informed (watch buzzes, GOAL is displayed). The video we see us just to show the fans. The fact we have only seen clear 'non-goals', is because the ball hasn't crossed the line with any confusion, yet. The shot off the post for example, in the Liverpool game - we saw the hawkeye replay simply so they could show us the replay - there was never any question as to whether it was a goal

Now that they are trialling it, it's likely to remain. Do you think a TMO could be introduced next? Give the managers 1 call per game (returned if correct) for controversial decisions. It's about time football led the way in technology in sport rather than being behind the curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What we see has no bearing on the decision making aspect of it. That's automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

madness with it in the gah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I hope it makes a difference for a least one goal during the season to justify it.

It may already have done so. Without it perhaps one of the non-goals would have been given and a major ****storm ensued.
    Its a bit like a lighthouse, we don't know how many (or any) ships it has saved but that doesn't mean it's not justified to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Human error (not surprising from an organisation such as the GAA mind). They had it set to 'football' during a hurling match. Hilarious!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Human error (not surprising from an organisation such as the GAA mind). They had it set to 'football' during a hurling match. Hilarious!
    Had nothing to do with the GAA though. It was a Hawkeye employee that made the mistake.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

You won't have that in Soccer because it will be the same size of ball will be used in every game...

• Advertisement

The hawkeye bit we see is just for the fans - the decision has already been made. As soon as the ball crosses the line, the ref will be informed (watch buzzes, GOAL is displayed). The video we see us just to show the fans. The fact we have only seen clear 'non-goals', is because the ball hasn't crossed the line with any confusion, yet. The shot off the post for example, in the Liverpool game - we saw the hawkeye replay simply so they could show us the replay - there was never any question as to whether it was a goal

But that's the thing. We can see that from video replays. I've never known a shot to come off the post and back into play that's crossed the line, unless it comes off another player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

But that's the thing. We can see that from video replays. I've never known a shot to come off the post and back into play that's crossed the line, unless it comes off another player.

Exactly, so hawkeye wasn't needed in that case.

Usually there is only a few incidents each season, and they usually happen in big games, of the kind where hawkeye will be needed. It's a bit early to say it's not needed just because it hasn't been used yet.

Exactly, so hawkeye wasn't needed in that case.

Usually there is only a few incidents each season, and they usually happen in big games, of the kind where hawkeye will be needed. It's a bit early to say it's not needed just because it hasn't been used yet.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the TV directors are using it too often for non goals because it's their shiny new toy.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

There was a header in the Chelsea v Hull game that McGregor only just about kept from going over the line, could have potentially been called a goal, though usually the refs err on the side of caution. The Hawkeye view is pretty cool I have to say.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Silly comment in uninformed silly comment sillyness....

Advertisement