Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion thermal cut off

Options
  • 22-08-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

Have an immersion,it was only replaced in the last year or so but now its tripping its thermal cut out regularly. The stat appears to be working and is set to 60c so I'm wondering is a faulty stat the likely cause, faulty cut out or can it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Your domestic heating system(oil or gas) can also trip this if it is set too high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ya
    other heat sources is a culprit sometimes.......back boilers too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

No other heating sources have been on as far as I'm aware but I'll check. This is recent thing though and the immersion had been working fine throughout the winter when gas heating would have been in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If central heating has not been on, then likely either the immersion stat is not cutting out early enough, or faulty overheat stat. Measuring the water temp can show the immersion stat cut off level.

I changed the stat,its still cutting out so must be the overheat. Funnily the stat,no matter which way you turned it,gave continuity. The new one also did this,do they no longer close on turning the dial anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

superg wrote: »
    I changed the stat,its still cutting out so must be the overheat. Funnily the stat,no matter which way you turned it,gave continuity. The new one also did this,do they no longer close on turning the dial anymore?

the water was prob cold ?

if the tank is heated they'll make and break

Yea the stat won't open with cold water as the lowest set point is probably well above room temperature.

Thanks chaps. It must be the Thermal cut off which can't be replaced so probably new immersion.I'm leaving it to a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Thanks chaps. It must be the Thermal cut off which can't be replaced so probably new immersion.I'm leaving it to a plumber.

Why can't it be replaced.What make of immersion is it because I haven't come across one that can't be changed

no idea but it didn't look removable to me.How do they come out? It was the first immersion I'd seen with a thermal cut out on it.

Edit:-reading this thread,even if it can come out I'm still leaving it,there can be many causes to this problem,the plumber can sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

you could possibly remove it from the circuit and fit a thermostat with inbuilt overheat switch

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.pt/7-11-and-18-IMMERSION-HEATER-THERMOSTAT-RESET-AND-OVERHEAT-GENUINE-COTHERM/170732477901/item

available in your local wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Can you not just pull the thermostat out from the element sleeve?replace the thermostat you can buy them in most places,the thermal cutout is part of the stat?
    Surely the whole element does not have to be replaced?!

Can you not just pull the thermostat out from the element sleeve?replace the thermostat you can buy them in most places,the thermal cutout is part of the stat?
    Surely the whole element does not have to be replaced?!

Either the overheat stat is faulty, or the element is actually overheating.

Might be badly limescaled if the cutout is working properly and cutting out due to high temperature. Water is then not keeping the element cool enough during operation. If that was the case, replacing the stat, and it will just do the same thing.

A scaled up element can overheat at the top long before the water gets hot enough to operate the temperature stat. An air pocket trapped at the top of the element would also cause it, although that would be unusual.

Meercat`s combined overheat and temperature stat looks a good idea.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Either the overheat stat is faulty, or the element is actually overheating.

Might be badly limescaled if the cutout is working properly and cutting out due to high temperature. Water is then not keeping the element cool enough during operation. If that was the case, replacing the stat, and it will just do the same thing.

A scaled up element can overheat at the top long before the water gets hot enough to operate the temperature stat. An air pocket trapped at the top of the element would also cause it, although that would be unusual.

Meercat`s combined overheat and temperature stat looks a good idea.

Yeah there seems to be numerous reasons why it can happen so I've passed it along already.

@Maxamillius, its not the thermostat causing the problem,it appears to be the overheat cut off which on this immersion was completely seperate to the thermostat. I've worked on immersions so infrequently it was the first time I'd even seen an overheat cut off on one!

Thanks to meercat if it comes up again I know I can get one of those all in one Thermostats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Ah right,I've only ever used the all in one types!!

Advertisement