Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a warning, not sure why...

Options
  • 22-08-2013 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but it seemed like the only logical place.

I got a warning for being uncivil and the reason for it is still unclear. I replied to the mod asking specifically why I got the warning and got no response. I then sent another message yesterday asking the mod to clarify, and I have received no response. I know a warning is only a small thing, but when I don't know what it is for, I can't modify my behaviour to prevent the same behaviour happening again, and multiple warnings could lead to more harsh punishment. Admittedly my post mentions the dreaded slanegirl, so maybe that is the reason, but if thats the reason then Id like to know. This is the message I got from the mod:
    Dear syklops,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

Your post:
    syklops wrote:
    I had some job (if you excuse the pun) finding that image, Lapin.. Seems like it's been pulled from everywhere.. People are saying it's gone worldwide at this stage..
    By some job, you mean types slanegirl into google image search and turned off safe search? Coz thats all I did to get the full album.

As sudzs said, the state of slanelad.

If it is Slane, I wonder where that corrugated metal is?

What did I say and where was I uncivil?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm going to guess that it was for the reference to the slane girl incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

P_1 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that it was for the reference to the slane girl incident

So is simply referring to it prohibited? Why did the other people who brought it up not get warnings(I've asked them)?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

syklops wrote: »
    So is simply referring to it prohibited? Why did the other people who brought it up not get warnings(I've asked them)?

As someone who works in a similar sort of admin/CS as a forum, my answer to "the others didn't get a warning, I asked them" is "why would you think they are telling you the truth?".

jabberwock wrote: »
    As someone who works in a similar sort of admin/CS as a forum, my answer to "the others didn't get a warning, I asked them" is "why would you think they are telling you the truth?".

Well I know them and trust them. I've no reason to believe otherwise. They were as baffled as me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Ok, throw another spin on it.

You just explained how to find details/pictures on something that is not allowed at the moment on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Generally, the best option open to you is to PM the Mod who gave you the Warning and ask them about why they felt it was uncivil. Have you done this?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Generally, the best option open to you is to PM the Mod who gave you the Warning and ask them about why they felt it was uncivil. Have you done this?

Yes, twice. No response.

jabberwock wrote: »
    Ok, throw another spin on it.

You just explained how to find details/pictures on something that is not allowed at the moment on boards.

I put it into google image search. Its not exactly complex instructions. Also the warning says its awarning for being uncivil. If it was for posting or linking to banned material it would make sense.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This should be in Dispute Resolution, in my view. It's not going to get you anywhere posting it here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This should be in Dispute Resolution, in my view. It's not going to get you anywhere posting it here.

DRP is only for contesting it, rather then explaining what it's for, which only the mod responsible can really do.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the helpful post. I'll ask an admin to move it.

Spear wrote: »
    DRP is only for contesting it, rather then explaining what it's for, which only the mod responsible can really do.

Should I just give up then?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Spear wrote: »
    Sorry, of course you're right. I assumed a disgruntled undertone that might not be there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

syklops wrote: »
    Should I just give up then?

No, but you'd be better off finding out what it was about first. If the mod in question doesn't respond, I guess you'll just have to make a general case against it, if you don't know the specifics of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you only want an explanation, then PM the mod and wait for an answer.

If you dispute the reply, this implies you disagree with the warning iteslf, and DRP is your place. Starting a new thread there would be best if that's the route you want. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement