Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Solution?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Am thinking of moving to a property that has a flat on the property which will be part of the overall accommodation.
    What would be the best solution for getting internet access in the apartment. I'm thinking the two separate cavity walls would be an obstruction to any decent wifi signal.
    im aware of those plugs you can get for boosting a signal. but is there a way of getting the original signal uninterrupted to the apartment. I.e a second modem connected to the first using the original source.
    Extending a cable through to the apartment could be an option but then i'm only left with one source as the house would need a connection as well based off the limited connections of the original modem.

Anyone got any solution or ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Run a network cable (up to 100m) from the broadband modem to the flat and hook up anither WLAN router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Torqay wrote: »
    Run a network cable (up to 100m) from the broadband modem to the flat and hook up anither WLAN router.

it would be upc though who only allow one router per connection

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

you can set one as a repeater and pull ips from your original box basically using is as a switch with a WiFi point on it org get one of these on the far end of the wire
    it can be set to pull IP addresses from the main router (i have this configured on mine) and allow encrypted connection to that wifi even on a different channel if you require to your main router,
    Mini WIFI Wireless Broadband Router $20.30 free shipping.
    sku_135994_3.jpg

you can set one as a repeater and pull ips from your original box basically using is as a switch with a WiFi point on it org get one of these on the far end of the wire
    it can be set to pull IP addresses from the main router (i have this configured on mine) and allow encrypted connection to that wifi even on a different channel if you require to your main router,
    Mini WIFI Wireless Broadband Router $20.30 free shipping.
    sku_135994_3.jpg

Not sure what this is. Is it creating a hotspot from a DSL cable connected to the original UPC router?

cursai wrote: »
    it would be upc though who only allow one router per connection

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Not sure what this is. Is it creating a hotspot from a DSL cable connected to the original UPC router?

you run one RJ45 and it creates a hotspot at the end of the cable, you do require a 5V power supply which can be powered from a USB port.

it also has other functions but for your need it will work like you require, i have connected over 10 items to it and there was no issue with it handling the traffic

you run one RJ45 and it creates a hotspot at the end of the cable, you do require a 5V power supply which can be powered from a USB port.

it also has other functions but for your need it will work like you require, i have connected over 10 items to it and there was no issue with it handling the traffic

That sounds good. Never heard of them before. It would basically convert the wired DSL into a wireless signal if i understand correctly. So i would need to run a DSL (or an ethernet?) cable to the apartment from the original router.
    Was considering tp link powerline adaptors but the apartment is on a separate power line as far as i can see. Separate meter!

:confused::confused::confused:

You look a little confused! Yes UPC only allow one router per connection on their routers and their specifically cabled as well.

You look a little confused! Yes UPC only allow one router per connection on their routers and their specifically cabled as well.

Well, this gadget up there is just another router albeit a small one... maybe UPC won't find it if you hide it well. ;)

That sounds good. Never heard of them before. It would basically convert the wired DSL into a wireless signal if i understand correctly. So i would need to run a DSL (or an ethernet?) cable to the apartment from the original router.
    Was considering tp link powerline adaptors but the apartment is on a separate power line as far as i can see. Separate meter!

just run a Ethernet cable from the port to where you want this device, i in the correct mode it acts like a switch with WIFI instead of ports. it is a mini router but your not using it in that mode :-)

• Advertisement

Well, this gadget up there is just another router albeit a small one... maybe UPC won't find it if you hide it well. ;)

Maybe its because i dont know how to get a separate wireless router working off a UPC Cisco router thats the problem. Having great difficulty configuring one. Im not worried about UPC finding me out, its all the one property address but with separate power lines and meters (used to be rented out). I just didnt know how to do it another way. The 'sub' router would solve a lot of problems.
    If you know how to connect a separate 'full' router to a UPC one i'd be grateful.

If you know how to connect a separate 'full' router to a UPC one i'd be grateful.

Connect the new router's WAN port to any of the 4 LAN ports (yellow) of your UPC cable modem and connect a computer/laptop to any of the LAN ports of the new router. Then follow the setup instructions or quick start guide. Many routers have a Setup Wizard (either on disk or built into the user interface).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi
    Am thinking of moving to a property that has a flat on the property which will be part of the overall accommodation.
    What would be the best solution for getting internet access in the apartment. I'm thinking the two separate cavity walls would be an obstruction to any decent wifi signal.
    im aware of those plugs you can get for boosting a signal. but is there a way of getting the original signal uninterrupted to the apartment. I.e a second modem connected to the first using the original source.
    Extending a cable through to the apartment could be an option but then i'm only left with one source as the house would need a connection as well based off the limited connections of the original modem.

Anyone got any solution or ideas?

Thanks.

plugs wont work if both building are on different power circuits.

my dad has a seperate office at the side of his house..

i ran a cat5e cable from the house's wireless repeater (basically a linksys modem reconfigured as a wireless repeater) into the office (where the upc modem is located)

he gets decent wifi coverage now

Advertisement