Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rehabilitation of offenders act ireland

• 22-08-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Folks,

Few questions:

Was this passed and what would it mean for someone who was charged withpossession of a tiny amount of hash back in 1995? If there any links that would explain it inlayman’s terms?

And if this is no longer counted as an offence can I assume it should haveno effect on travel visa’s?

Thanks

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Probation of Offenders Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Parallels can be drawn with the Spent Convictions legislation across the water in blighty. I'm taxing my tiny little mind here but, if I recall, sentences up to 2 (or perhaps 4) years lapse after a certain amount of time meaning you don't have to declare them to employers. From what I can remember for the purposes of police checks, the information is still there, for arguments sake if some one was applying to work with children.

As for visas there are some good threads on the subject if you do a search of this forum. I believe the answer is that spent convictions legislation is no protection and you must answer the questions honestly.

While I hope this is of help to you, I would not rely on what I've posted, or what you find through a search. If you are unable to afford to speak to a solicitor, make an appointment for your local FLAC (www.FLAC.ie).

If you have yet to be convicted Tom Young makes an excellent, if direct, point. I won't expand upon it as he saw fit not too, speak to a solicitor ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

petereire wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Few questions:

Was this passed and what would it mean for someone who was charged withpossession of a tiny amount of hash back in 1995? If there any links that would explain it inlayman’s terms?

And if this is no longer counted as an offence can I assume it should haveno effect on travel visa’s?

Thanks

The spent convictions bill has not yet passed, even if it does it will not effect disclosure to another country if they ask a question about previous.

Advertisement