Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten questions!

• 22-08-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Our new kitten keeps licking us... all the time! Is it just a kitten thing? Please tell me she will stop as she gets older! :p

She keeps climbing the screen door and getting her claws stuck and then we have to lift her down. She's damaging the screen a little bit too. Should I trim her claws? Is that a normal thing to do? I don't want to do something that's completely unnatural for her.

She is so different than my 2 cats in Ireland... they were pretty wild and scared as kittens but this girl loves sharing the love!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You can trim her claws with a standard (human) nail clippers, just so long as she's not going outdoors yet.

Kittens do groom each other so she is transferring this sweet (and raspy, lol!) bonding behaviour to you guys. They do largely grow out of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

boomerang wrote: »
    You can trim her claws with a standard (human) nail clippers, just so long as she's not going outdoors yet.

I'd be against using a human nail clippers on a cat as it splits the nail as the flatness of the clippers doesn't quite work with the curve of the cats nail.It might be ok on just the tips though, but I've never tried.

Just trim the tips with a curved edged clippers and be careful not to go too far down and cut the quick.

My cat used to lick me ( i thought it was cute) and climb the curtains (there's millions of tiny holes in them now) and he grew out of both. I got the odd hand lick every now and then though when he was in the mood :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream never ever outgrew the licking, his just gets really into it and could spend aaages grooming me, especially if I am scratching him :D Whereas Peach and Dude just give me the odd lick, I guess it depends on the cat! I use a regular human nail clippers on my guys but just the very very tip of the nail, I don't really find breakage unless I cut further down for shows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I have found that cat's often continue their habbits as they get older. One of mine started to suck my PJ's with me in them when he was a kitten (the soft fluffy type ones that you get in Penny's or Dunnes). As he was doing this he would keep padding me, can be a bit painful sometimes as the claws come out. I put it down to him missing his mum. Still does it seven years later. Many a time I have a wet patch on some part of my PJ's.

Now I put it down to him telling me how much he loves me, just like yours is too.

I only use them to cut off the very tips :)

• Advertisement

Cream never ever outgrew the licking, his just gets really into it and could spend aaages grooming me, especially if I am scratching him :D

Ah sure he's still only a baby yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

boomerang wrote: »
    Ah sure he's still only a baby yet :D

I think even if he reaches 20 years old he will still be a total baby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Any time she sees skin she's like lick lick lick!! She'll climb up & lick my face too! And if the bedroom door is open she comes in & we get woken up by licks! I'll try give her claws a little trim later... Found her climbing the shower curtain a few mins ago!!

Advertisement