Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank fee when account goes into the red

• 22-08-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

I notice that every time my Ulster bank current account dips under balance of 0, I am charged a fee of €4.44.
    It happens me the off time when I use the debit card to buy something, often over the weekend. Once Monday comes around I notice that it dipped under 0 balance, and I am charged.
    Is this the same with other banks? Any tips to avoid it? I would like for the transactions to be denied if I have insufficient funds. Or even I had a credit card instead of a debit card, I would have time to pay for it instead of this instant unavoidable fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I suppose if I withdraw cash instead of using the debit card, I wouldn't be able to go into the red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That is the unauthorised overdraft charge afaik and all banks charge something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

4.44 aint so bad.. I used the parent group in th uk and got hit with £20! (and then another 20 for going over again when the original 20 was taken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Its a referral charge - basically the bank can refuse to pay the item that puts the account into red, but in many cases they will pay it after it gets approved by someone.

Exception is Danske bank - if you go 1c in the red, no matter what your history is with them or how long you are with them, they will refuse to make the payment and then also charge you €10 for that refusal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Not seeing the rip off here. What do the terms and conditions of your account say about unauthorised overdrafts? The issue is poor management of the account and misuse of debit card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement