Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loans, Loans, Loans...

Options
  • 22-08-2013 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm about to start my second year of a BA Hons four year course.
    Unfortunately, I didn't qualify for the SUSI grant and as it is I, and not my parents, who pays my Student Contribution Fee I need to find a student loan that works for me.

Does anyone know if any bank out there is offering a loan similar to the UK system? As in, I can borrow the money now, pay my fees, and then start to repay the bank when I graduate and have a full time job?

I fear not... But any advice you guys could throw at me would be so appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I really know very little about loans. But you could ask the credit union. I think I saw a post on here the other day. Someone had borrowed money from them to travel for a year and had arranged to repay it when he returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Expeditus

Oh sweet, thank you so much! I actually didn't think of the Credit Union when I was looking at banks. They look much more promising.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

AIB and Bank of Ireland have recently started new student loan systems. Similar to the UK, you can take out the loan, pay interest only repayments each month and then start paying off the loan at a later agreed date (or make unscheduled repayments along the way without fines). It applies to all students with the relevant student accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Expeditus

Depending on the interest rate that could be a really good deal for me. My bank, Ulster Bank, are great in general but truly awful when it comes to student loans - I might try switching over to AIB or BoI. Thank you!

Advertisement