Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Advise

Options
  • 22-08-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am going to need to change the car (due to changing family circumstances). I currently have a 2006 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS (70000 miles approx) and reluctantly need to get a more "sensible" family car. :(

I don't do many miles (I cycle to work), so it would be mainly for evenings and weekends. I would prefer a petrol car, but because of this dumb CO2 tax based system, everyone bought a diesel post 2008, so 95% of saloons seem to be diesel now! I will buy a diesel if needs be, but would like something with a bit of "poke" in it, as I don't want to go completely cold turkey after my Alfa. In saying that I would ideally like to lower my motor tax bill also. The €951 per year for the Brera is a pain in the h**e especially considering I do so little miles per year!

I am looking at the usual suspects:

(2010+) Ford Mondeo
    (2010+) Mazda 6
    (2010+) Volkswagen Passat
    (2010+) Opel Insignia
    (2008+) Audi A4

I'm going at around €15000 mark (including trade in). Any idea what I could expect for mine as a trade in?

Now obviously, going with an A4 will cost more than an equivalent Mondeo etc, thus the difference in expectation regarding years. Although, what's putting me off the A4 more than just price is the quite high mileage on most second hand models available.

I previously owned a 2002 Mondeo and liked it quite a bit, so the Mondeo might be the favorite.

I'm just wondering whether any of you guys out there have any of the above vehicles and have any advise for or against them. I'm completely open to suggestions not listed above. I am kind of thinking of an Octavia vRS too, but not sure. (not many available either)

Cheers

Comments

Advertisement