Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one to get the 660Ti or HD 7870

• 22-08-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey lads,

Just need a little help,Which one to choose I was more going with the 7870.But then later on I heard that the 660Ti is better.

So which one should I get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hey lads,

Just need a little help,Which one to choose I was more going with the 7870.But then later on I heard that the 660Ti is better.

So which one should I get?
    660ti is stronger but you can get a good 7870 for 160 delivered from Pixmanis that would match a 660ti when overclocked. You won't get a 660ti for that price so I would go for the 7870. What is the rest of your rig etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Androidable

Gumbi wrote: »
    660ti is stronger but you can get a good 7870 for 160 delivered from Pixmanis that would match a 660ti when overclocked. You won't get a 660ti for that price so I would go for the 7870. What is the rest of your rig etc?

Well that helps a lot,Thank you

Rig that I'm Planning to build

Processor:AMD FX-8320/I know I can go with the Fx 8350 but I will stick with the Fx 8320

Memory:8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-17066U CL11

Video Card:Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB/I guess I will be going with the one on the pixmania

Motherboard:ASUS M5A97 R2.0, AM3+, ATX

Hard Drive:Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply:Thermaltake Hamburg 530W

Case:Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower

Btw is it hard to overclock a graphics card?

I'd make a thread dedicated to building your PC. We can help you out with your parts. TBH, so far it looks nothing is out of place and you seem to be making the right choices. You should add a budget CPU cooler though to get the most benefit from that CPU. A Hyper 212 should do. I think there are better PSU choices too in that price range.

Overclocking isn't too difficult and we can help you out with it. Overclocking the GPU is simple, overclocking the CPU is easy as well but takes a bit more work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What's the pc for? A fx6300 will be just as good for gaming or the foreseeable future. Most games are still using 2-4 cpu cores. 6 is loads.

That board is badly paired with an 8320 anyway. You will not get any sort of decent overclocks with it.

I'd go with a fx 6300 and an Asrock 970 extreme 3 + a cm 212 evo.

Use the money saved to get a better power supply. I'd recommend a be-quiet system power 7 500w.

I'd make a thread dedicated to building your PC. We can help you out with your parts. TBH, so far it looks nothing is out of place and you seem to be making the right choices. You should add a budget CPU cooler though to get the most benefit from that CPU. A Hyper 212 should do. I think there are better PSU choices too in that price range.

Overclocking isn't too difficult and we can help you out with it. Overclocking the GPU is simple, overclocking the CPU is easy as well but takes a bit more work.

I will be getting this build around Mid October so it's two months away a bit less,Prices may/will change so I think I should come back closer to mid October and see what can be made out of the money,My budget is around 600-630 euro,I still need to get that amount of money on hand,I might be able to get another €70 so it will make the budget €700.I will be back in October and so on for more help from you and other people that may help me.

Thank you once again :)

• Advertisement

I will be getting this build around Mid October so it's two months away a bit less,Prices may/will change so I think I should come back closer to mid October and see what can be made out of the money,My budget is around 600-630 euro,I still need to get that amount of money on hand,I might be able to get another €70 so it will make the budget €700.I will be back in October and so on for more help from you and other people that may help me.

Thank you once again :)

Things will change a lot between now and October :) There is rapid change going on in GPU prices at the moment as AMD and nVidia are offloading old chips. AMD release new cards in October, nVidia released a new series only a few months ago.

BloodBath wrote: »
    What's the pc for? A fx6300 will be just as good for gaming or the foreseeable future. Most games are still using 2-4 cpu cores. 6 is loads.

That board is badly paired with an 8320 anyway. You will not get any sort of decent overclocks with it.

I'd go with a fx 6300 and an Asrock 970 extreme 3 + a cm 212 evo.

Use the money saved to get a better power supply. I'd recommend a be-quiet system power 7 500w.

The PC will be used for Gaming/Recording at the same time,Rendering videos,School work and so on.

Things will change a lot between now and October :) There is rapid change going on in GPU prices at the moment as AMD and nVidia are offloading old chips. AMD release new cards in October, nVidia released a new series only a few months ago.

I read that AMD are going to reveal the new 9000 Series cards on September 25th I think,I would guess that would drop prices on some cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They have already dropped prices so I doubt it.

Advertisement