Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phys/Chem

• 22-08-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm going to be repeating the leaving this year (didn't get the course i really want:( ) and was thinking of taking up physics and chemistry (combined). I've already done physics (got an A1 :) ) and chemistry (B1). Lookng for advise from anyone who has done phys/chem- would I be able to manage it in a year?? Is there any specific book for the course or do i just study my physics and chemistry books? Also the exam time clashes with the physics exam so are you allowed to sit both ( like be in a different centre or anything)?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

If you managed to get that good a grade in physics and chemistry on there own, you will waltz through the combined subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Tradceol wrote: »
    I'm going to be repeating the leaving this year (didn't get the course i really want:( ) and was thinking of taking up physics and chemistry (combined). I've already done physics (got an A1 :) ) and chemistry (B1). Lookng for advise from anyone who has done phys/chem- would I be able to manage it in a year?? Is there any specific book for the course or do i just study my physics and chemistry books? Also the exam time clashes with the physics exam so are you allowed to sit both ( like be in a different centre or anything)?
    Thanks in advance :)

As far as I know, you are not allowed. Because why wouldnt everyone who does physics and chemistry do the exact same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

You're not allowed to sit either Physics or Chemistry, if taking the combined course!

Oh and there's no official book, what I did was bought revision books on physics & chemistry and referred to the exam papers/ answers a lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

You're not allowed to sit either Physics or Chemistry, if taking the combined course!

Oh and there's no official book, what I did was bought revision books on physics & chemistry and referred to the exam papers/ answers a lot. :)

I was going to do and then changed to chemistry, but there is a book for it can't think of the name atm but if you want it just pm me :)

I was going to do and then changed to chemistry, but there is a book for it can't think of the name atm but if you want it just pm me :)

I've heard of this book, not widely available to buy, I think.. The author's name was Daithi Quinn (something)? I'll have a look online for it again. :P
    If I found it when I sat the exam, it would've been great. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

I've heard of this book, not widely available to buy, I think.. The author's name was Daithi Quinn (something)? I'll have a look online for it again. :P
    If I found it when I sat the exam, it would've been great. :pac:

Yup Daithi Quinn is the author the book is called physics and chemistry the combined course.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sb

Down after the subject box: Subject Exclusions: no 1)

Candidates may not take any of following subject combinations:

1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sb

Down after the subject box: Subject Exclusions: no 1)

Candidates may not take any of following subject combinations:

1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

I wonder if this has been changed recently. This was back in 2010 when we told that we were allowed to sit both exams.

Iopu wrote: »
    I wonder if this has been changed recently. This was back in 2010 when we told that we were allowed to sit both exams.

I sat the exam in 2011, but I would assume these rules were put in place before 2010 even?

Anyway, for the OP and anyone else, it's clarification. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tradceol

Thank you all so much for replying :) I guess I'll not be doing because I'm definitely going to sit physics and chemistry separately. Thanks again though :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement