Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€193,000.00 Grant Approved By Phil Hogan

Options
  • 22-08-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

I don't get this at all, it's privately owned right - by a Sean and Antoinette Windsor?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/193000-grant-for-bree-castle-upgrade-29493909.html

I mean........

"The building has already undergone works to secure it against weather damage, with around €200,000 spent, thanks in part to Wexford County Council and the National Heritage Council."

If it's privately owned why the hell is the taxpayer funding this to any degree? Will they fix my roof for me? Doubtful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's no different from any other tourism type project receiving State/EU funding or whatever. More power to them for securing a grant and I'll be one of the first to have a break there - finances allowing.

As for your roof - do you live in a listed building - otherwise forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's no different from any other tourism type project receiving State/EU funding or whatever. More power to them for securing a grant and I'll be one of the first to have a break there - finances allowing.

As for your roof - do you live in a listed building - otherwise forget it.

Tourism type project? It's privately owned isn't it?

If it was OWNED by the state then I've no problem paying towards it but as it's PRIVATELY owned..............they should source funding from private sources shouldn't they ??

And no, I don't have the pleasure of being able to get a grant for my privately owned house from the state/taxpayer to repair my roof, if only Phil Hogan and the likes could find the funds for me......

vicwatson wrote: »
    Tourism type project? It's privately owned isn't it?

If it was OWNED by the state then I've no problem paying towards it but as it's PRIVATELY owned..............they should source funding from private sources shouldn't they ??

Lots of State/EU/Heritage Council funded projects are privately owned - what about all the golf clubs that received EU funding? The castle is to be developed as self catering apartments i.e. for tourists - no different to a hotel or other facility receiving funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Lots of State/EU/Heritage Council funded projects are privately owned - what about all the golf clubs that received EU funding? The castle is to be developed as self catering apartments i.e. for tourists - no different to a hotel or other facility receiving funding.

Well you have to admit it's a bit of anomaly, given the state has virtually dismantled the system of grants which were once available to Seán Citizen for home improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RustyRobo

This is a beautiful building and should be preserved, enjoyed and maintained for posterity - but it is privately owned. If the owners, in return for public money, offered to turn this asset over to the state and then "care take" it albeit as a (hopefully) profit making enterprise, then we have the basis of a reasonable contract.
    Without that, I fail to see why public citizens should be contributing to private enterprise and capital gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Reading some of the posts here it's easy to see why there is so little investment in this area of the county !!

I think a project like this will help to bring tourists into the area. Americans in particular love staying in castles with history. lt would also provide employment in the area.

Or maybe we should just demolish it or let it rot like so much of our history ..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

paulaa wrote: »
    Or maybe we should just demolish it or let it rot like so much of our history ..................

Or maybe the Govt should ask for a stake in the property in return for financial assistance. We should not be giving away scarce resources without a benefit accruing to the State and all it's citizens, not just individual property owners

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

paulaa wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts here it's easy to see why there is so little investment in this area of the county !!

I think a project like this will help to bring tourists into the area. Americans in particular love staying in castles with history. lt would also provide employment in the area.

If the county council and land owners had of left the props and buildings at Ballinesker beach when they finished making Saving Private Ryan and opened up a visitors center and coffee shop/restaurant can you imagine the amount of tourists including Americans that would flock there. Instead a Higgins boat/ landing craft is left in a field beside the holiday village to rot away and the local pub gets called Omaha Beach. A stupid decision not to do this as it would have generated Jobs and brought much to the local area if it had of happened.

In county Wexford we have a massive movie waiting to be made.
    The 1798 rising and the battle of Vinegar hill. I cant see why Speilberg and co have not picked up on this yet. Our Elected TD's from the county should be pimping this at every opportunity and when they are on holidays in America for the St Pats parades. I wonder many Americans knew who William Wallace was or visited Scotland before they saw Brave heart. Surely now that the annual battle of vinegar hill is getting more and more popular that some elected official would cop on and make an approach to some film maker.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Or maybe the Govt should ask for a stakein the property in return for financial assistance. We should not be giving away scarce resources without a benefit accruing to the State and all it's citizens, not just individual property owners

My point was if this opens as a hotel/ self catering accommodation for tourists to the area, it will have benefits to the local community and the state tax coffers. I presume the entrepreneurs who are willing to take a chance on starting a business from this will be paying taxes. They will need people to work there so will create employment. It can only be in all our interests to see this venture work successfully imo.

Is not most of the money granted to heritage projects like this not coming from the EU ?

I wouldn't trust the government to have a stake in anything like this. They'd only end up selling it off like our forests and the rest of our resources ;)

Navarre wrote: »
    If the county council and land owners had of left the props and buildings at Ballinesker beach when they finished making Saving Private Ryan and opened up a visitors center and coffee shop/restaurant can you imagine the amount of tourists including Americans that would flock there. Instead a Higgins boat/ landing craft is left in a field beside the holiday village to rot away and the local pub gets called Omaha Beach. A stupid decision not to do this as it would have generated Jobs and brought much to the local area if it had of happened.

The 1798 rising and the battle of Vinegar hill. I cant see why Speilberg and co have not picked up on this yet. Our Elected TD's from the county should be pimping this at every opportunity and when they are on holidays in America for the St Pats parades. I wonder many Americans knew who William Wallace was or visited Scotland before they saw Brave heart. Surely now that the annual battle of vinegar hill is getting more and more popular that some elected official would cop on and make an approach to some film maker.

Did any local people try to do anything about the film props etc ?

You want a film made about Vinegar hill and the Rising I think you'll have to do it yourself. Our elected officials are too busy trying to decide what part of the town they're going to deface next !!

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »

The county has lost out again if the Irish Times are to be believed:

Oscar-winning film director Steven Spielberg has expressed an interest in making a film about Daniel O’Connell after learning about him while researching his film on Abraham Lincoln, Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht, Jimmy Deenihan has said.
    Mr Deenihan told the revived Daniel O’Connell Summer School in Cahersiveen and Derrynane, Co Kerry, that when he mentioned O’Connell to Spielberg and actor Daniel Day-Lewis, they had already discussed the possibility of making a film about the man who won Catholic emancipation.
    “I certainly think there is a major film in O’Connell – I recently met Stephen Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis and I mentioned O’Connell to them and gave them Prof Patrick Geoghegan’s book on O’Connell and they had already discussed it before I mentioned it which is very encouraging.
    “Nothing is certain but the success of Lincoln makes a stronger case for O’Connell who was a friend of Frederick Douglas, who was an influence on Lincoln – it would have an international appeal given O’Connell’s role in the anti-slavery campaign as well as in both Jewish and Catholic emancipations.”
    Mr Deenihan said he hoped to discuss the possible project when he visits the US in November where he will meet with senior figures in the film industry. “Hopefully something will come of it because O’Connell is certainly a figure worthy of a major film treatment.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/spielberg-interested-in-making-film-about-daniel-o-connell-1.1520357

I've been banging on about a 1798 film for a while now but nobody is listening. Which would make a more exciting film - 1798 or Daniel O'Connell? But Derrynane is in Kerry and are useless shower of politicians......:rolleyes:

Some earlier references to Spielberg and 1798 here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82858207&postcount=1

and http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SPIELBERG'S+ON+CUE+FOR+REBEL+EPIC.-a061131572

and here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73955802

Or maybe the Govt should ask for a stake in the property in return for financial assistance. We should not be giving away scarce resources without a benefit accruing to the State and all it's citizens, not just individual property owners

Maybe the State should take a stake in every enterprise awarded any sort of grant aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Maybe the State should take a stake in every enterprise awarded any sort of grant aid?

I think it should be considered for assistance given to all businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

When the State awards grant aid to any Independent body , of course both should be held accountable .

I think it should be considered for assistance given to all businesses

Fair enough - if applied to all - and perhaps grants should in fact be very low interest loans? Likewise funding from the National Lottery to sports clubs etc. - imagine the amount of extra cash for worthy projects if even a token amount was returned each year by bodies in receipt of grants. Never happen though, will it? :)

Why would we want to make a film about Vinegar Hill, another heroic defeat and humiliation? A few brave souls let down by their countrymen, just like today. Why don't we make a film about Clontarf where, despite the efforts of half the tribes in Leinster and Munster, we actually won?
    Sometimes I think we enjoy failure, otherwise we'd have nothing to cry into our pints over.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why would we want to make a film about Vinegar Hill, another heroic defeat and humiliation? A few brave souls let down by their countrymen, just like today. Why don't we make a film about Clontarf where, despite the efforts of half the tribes in Leinster and Munster, we actually won?
    Sometimes I think we enjoy failure, otherwise we'd have nothing to cry into our pints over.

Well, Braveheart wasn't exactly about a famous Scottish victory was it? However, some $70,000,000 was spent on its production and a large amount of that must have gone into the Irish economy. Still much better to make a movie about a Kerryman.

Well, Braveheart wasn't exactly about a famous Scottish victory was it? However, some $70,000,000 was spent on its production and a large amount of that must have gone into the Irish economy. Still much better to make a movie about a Kerryman.

Braveheart was about a period of history not a single event, interestingly enough Scots are not interested in making of a movie about Flodden Field.
    If you want to make a movie about 1798, fair enough but make it warts and all.
    BTW, the Vikings never settled to any extent in Kerry so why would Brian Ború have a beef with them and march an army all the way to Dublin to fight them?
    Maybe you would see that good and true son of Wexford, Dermot Mc Murrough, as a more suitable candidate?

I never said that there should be a film dedicated to the Battle of Vinegar Hill but a 1798 movie covering the months around the uprising.

I never said that there should be a film dedicated to the Battle of Vinegar Hill but a 1798 movie covering the months around the uprising.
    I acknowledged that in my original reply. Anything good that can be said about 1798 happened before the rising, after that it was a litany of betrayal, incompetence and futility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement