Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Graduate Visa 2013-Boston

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

So looks like I will going through IIIC, got an email back and all looks very attractive.

Going to Boston and having their office there is a huge plus.

For anyone else, heres what they sent.

When exactly did you graduate?
    Costs are as follows:
    IIIC sponsorship fee - $800
    SEVIS fee - $180
    U.S. Embassy Interview fee - $160
    Insurance - approx $300 (USIT, charging 460)
    Flights - ? (you sort this out yourself) (Single from Aer Lingus is 460, USIT flights start from 670 they say)

Looks like a great deal cheaper. Thanks for your help yerman!

EDIT: I've also just realised that they've given me the prices in dollars, as opposed to USIT in Euros! Even more savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Kanney wrote: »
    So looks like I will going through IIIC, got an email back and all looks very attractive.

Going to Boston and having their office there is a huge plus.

For anyone else, heres what they sent.

When exactly did you graduate?
    Costs are as follows:
    IIIC sponsorship fee - $800
    SEVIS fee - $180
    U.S. Embassy Interview fee - $160
    Insurance - approx $300 (USIT, charging 460)
    Flights - ? (you sort this out yourself) (Single from Aer Lingus is 460, USIT flights start from 670 they say)

Looks like a great deal cheaper. Thanks for your help yerman!

EDIT: I've also just realised that they've given me the prices in dollars, as opposed to USIT in Euros! Even more savings!

Just about the flights, it's nearly worth your while booking a return and then moving the return flight if it doesn't suit you. Return is only like 50 Euro more than a single ticket (most of the time).

Just in case anyone else wants to know, just knocked this up myself based on prices that have been told to me from both companies.

YUNdqZ8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cunny000

There's two of us heading over to Boston in January, we've both just finished a post grad in IT and are looking to travel but at same time hoping to get jobs that will provide us with experience in the area of our qualifications.

Are many of ye going to work jobs in bars, restaurants etc. while ye are there or look for jobs that will provide some decent experience? Has anyone found some helpful sites for getting jobs in Boston?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

cunny000 wrote: »
    There's two of us heading over to Boston in January, we've both just finished a post grad in IT and are looking to travel but at same time hoping to get jobs that will provide us with experience in the area of our qualifications.

Are many of ye going to work jobs in bars, restaurants etc. while ye are there or look for jobs that will provide some decent experience? Has anyone found some helpful sites for getting jobs in Boston?

Graduate year long visa prohibits you from working in the hospitality sector as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Going to bump this to give anyone out there an idea how things are going.

Just paid off my programme fee and insurance with the IIIC.
    It worked out at €510 for the programme fee, where Usit quote me at €759.

Insurance was with backpackers travel insurance for €199, where USIT quote me at €461.

Had my interview on Skype with a representative at the IIIC, where she went over everything with me, was very helpful, most of the stuff I knew from various summer J1s. But everything looks to be progressing nicely.

Once I email off a copy of the insurance policy to the IIIC I'm then clear to book my embassy interview.

Then flights. Which I've been pricing around 420 for single with Aer Lingus.

Cunny000, have you made any steps with your process or just planning now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 otter1988

hi guys. i need a bit of help regarding the embassy holding on to your passport after interview. Could you please advise me how long the embassy held your passports before you got it back?? i believe they send it to a place of your choice! id really appreciate some info as i am a bit tight for time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Assuming all goes smoothly, they usually take 1-2 business days to issue your visa and then mail it out. I've never waited more than 5 business days to get my passport back (and am currently on visa no. 5). However, they can never guarantee how long it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 otter1988

thanks!!
    its just my flight is on the tuesday 5th november and im scheduling my embassy interview for friday 25th october. this would be 6 business days and 10 normal days after the interview. i cant have interview any earlier due to commitments which are out of my hands.
    ill try ringing the embassy tomorrow to explain and see how long it is taking at the moment. i had heard myself that the passports are usually back in 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

They have updated times posted here which usually only go up if there is a holiday or a lot of visas being processed at once (which happens around the start of the smmer J1 visa processing).

• Advertisement

I've now paid my insurance and programme fee. Do I apply directly to the embassy about my interview? I'm going with IIIC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alisoncr91

Hi guys!

This post has been really helpful! Im planning on going on the grad visa around this time next year as I'll be graduating from my tourism management degree in October 14. Ages away yet I know but just wondering how anyones experiences went? I'm leaning towards Boston due to the Irish community there in hopes that will help with finding a job. Would I be totally mad to go on my own? I havent got any family connections but planning on trying to get as much organising done as possible before I go!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KarenEnglish

Hey!
    Can't recommend Boston enough. Been here almost 6months now and love it more the longer I stay. Irish community is fantastic. In my experience the Irish really help each other.
    Lots of my friends are moving to NY this year on their own so moving to Boston on your own will be nothing in comparison. Once you get a job you will start meeting people all you need is a steer in the right direction.
    My only issue with the visa is that it's too unrelaitic. Too hard to find paid internships & a second job isn't allowed. So keep this in mind before moving!
    It's the best thing I ever did so I hope it all works out for you too :-)

Hi guys!

This post has been really helpful! Im planning on going on the grad visa around this time next year as I'll be graduating from my tourism management degree in October 14. Ages away yet I know but just wondering how anyones experiences went? I'm leaning towards Boston due to the Irish community there in hopes that will help with finding a job. Would I be totally mad to go on my own? I havent got any family connections but planning on trying to get as much organising done as possible before I go!

Thanks[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alisoncr91

@KarenEnglish

Sounds great thanks a mill for the reply!

Advertisement