Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours a week for UCD BA degree?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'll be heading to UCD this year to do the BA, specifically DN531, International French with English. I'm wondering what the number of hours per week (lectures and tutorials) the degree requires. If anyone could tell me it would be much appreciated, I've looked all over the internet and can't find the answer anywhere. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Prob 15 tops, you bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Arts? Like 4, of which most of your class will attend none. Ya jammy git.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NiamhW95

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

11 hours: lectures/tutorials/seminars; and you are supposed to do around another 33 hours a week of work on your own (reading, research, writing).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Go to all your lectures and tutorials too, people will say 'You can skip the lectures..slides are up on Blackboard' or 'Skip any topics you don't like' etc. but I've often found myself doing an essay on a topic I initially didn't like come reading week simply because I have more notes for it and which actually became more interesting and developed better once I'd been to the lecture and discussed it in tutorial.

Nothing worse than someone who hasn't been to a tutorial since the start suddenly turning up on essay week to hand it in and still never coming back after that. You're losing a free 10% and valuable discussion time that lets you hear the ideas of others in the class that time in the library doesn't equal imo. Should be doing the library shifts too and going to the tutorials because others may have different interpretations of the reading material.

tl;dr; Go to your lectures and tutorials:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cathal4344

Hey everyone, Im going into 1st Year BA English with Drama..Just wondering is there anyone here who knows do the timetables stay the same year on year? There is hours up for lectures 13/14 but 'subject to change'..im wondering because im giving in my hours for work and dont want to have to turn around in a few weeks and tell them different. When do we find out out tutorial groups etc? Basically when will we have a finalised timetable for the year?

Thanks in advance,
    Cathal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

cathal4344 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, Im going into 1st Year BA English with Drama..Just wondering is there anyone here who knows do the timetables stay the same year on year? There is hours up for lectures 13/14 but 'subject to change'..im wondering because im giving in my hours for work and dont want to have to turn around in a few weeks and tell them different. When do we find out out tutorial groups etc? Basically when will we have a finalised timetable for the year?

Thanks in advance,

You'll hopefully have a timetable when you reg next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Thanks in advance,

Lecture times probably won't change at this point. You will also have to take a tutorial for each of your lectures, but you can choose which one suits. Just so you are aware, English with Drama has 7 core modules in 1st year but you have to take 12 modules. You will have to select other options from the School of Arts. You can look at the options here, but you cannot select from List D or F.

When you register there will be a tab on the right of the page where you can see you calendar as you choose lectures/tutorials.

Thanks in advance,

There you go.

Times are listed under "When is this module offered". Note that you do all lectures but prob choose only one tutorial/seminar for each module.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mikao

There you go.

Times are listed under "When is this module offered". Note that you do all lectures but prob choose only one tutorial/seminar for each module.

I'm also an incoming English with Drama student, and I'm also looking at timetables and stuff. What you often see is 'Semester 1 Offering 1' followed by 'Semester 1 Offering 2', so a second offer on the exact same day. Does that mean that you can choose which one you go to? Thanks!

• Advertisement

mikao wrote: »
    I'm also an incoming English with Drama student, and I'm also looking at timetables and stuff. What you often see is 'Semester 1 Offering 1' followed by 'Semester 1 Offering 2', so a second offer on the exact same day. Does that mean that you can choose which one you go to? Thanks!

That should be the case. Yup.

I think that the actual rooms should be listed beside those offerings at some point (J204, C108, etc), or, failing that, SIS during registration of course.

Word to the wise - you might spend a long time deciding which particular offerings you want; (clashes, transport, convenience, etc)

Second word to the wise: during reg it's first come, first served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You're looking at about 15 hours lectures for arts, but there's a big workload with project work, assignments etc.

Advertisement