Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New County Clean food bins

Options
  • 22-08-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Got a new food caddy and its full of maggots and covered blue bottles, I put the food waste into the bags provided.It seems like a health risk to be honest, anyone else seeing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

mcko wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Got a new food caddy and its full of maggots and covered blue bottles, I put the food waste into the bags provided.It seems like a health risk to be honest, anyone else seeing this.
    Totally agree. We used it for the first month and then noticed that only a tiny fraction of the neighbours were using them so we joined the boycott! From what I understand, if you were to use the food bin properly you would need a much larger and secure (pong!) foodbin and a tiny general bin. My garden is starting to look like a bin park. General, Recycling, Glass, Food, Old Council bin. I long for less pc times . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did you have to request these? I've seen them round the place but heard nothing and we're country clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

A good tip for food waste is never throw cooked food in a bin.
    Instead freeze it until the morning of the waste collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

TheChizler wrote: »
    Did you have to request these?
    They are being distributed region by region I believe. We got ours a few months back. I contacted Country Clean because I thought it was a joke to be honest. I was told that regulations demanded these food bins but if everyone hasn't got them yet, how can they be imposed on some?
    The problem is that the bins are flimsy and very smelly, especially with the hot weather.
    Freezing food waste?????????:confused::eek::D

Golfer50 wrote: »
    They are being distributed region by region I believe.
    The ones I saw were just up the street from us. Odd. No use for them anyway, everything either goes down the sink waste disposal or in the compost bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My parents have one and it's a bit smelly but not infested by any crawlies. The paper bags are the worst part, biodegradeable plastic would have been much better. That's what I have with my own food waste bin and it cuts down on the smell quite substantially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

People look at me like I've suggested freezing their newborn baby when I tell them what a handy thing doing that is, they would take the bit of left over sauce from the pot and freeze it no prob, but the scrapings off the plate seem to be right out, not logical captain.
    I have an old cooler box in the freezer for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

What take away do you run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

scudo2 wrote: »
    What take away do you run ?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 butbut

Yeah I have it and the flies and maggots are insane. Two weeks is two long to have rotting food waste in a bin, it was fine in the black bin when it was wrapped in plastic but these brown bags or wrapping in newspaper is a disaster. Unfortunately i'm in a rented house so I cant put in a proper food composter as these need to be semi buried so as not to attract rats but I'm guessing these new food caddies are going to do that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Not everyone has a freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I'm with Greenstar, but will be in the brown bin zone before long.
    The brown bin has been in operation in Galway (where I'm from) for years! We don't have a glass collection there - to be honest, going to the bottle bank is ok for me, but for older folk, who may not have a car, it must be a bit stressful.

Also - just came back from US and spent $40 filling a people carrier and my focus costs me €70 ........feeling my recycling efforts re brown bin are a whole heap of organic s&;!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I still don't see greenstar and wiser with these. Why are country clean the only ones operating this if it is a regulatory requirement?

Mines not been collected for the second time since I got it. Put my bins slightly behind the wall during the storm. Foolish to think the collection service may walk extra two feet to get them. The first time they just "forgot" and I was left with rotting bin for 4 weeks.

I understand the need for these from an environmental aspect but we are so far off on a global scale its literally a drop in the ocean.

I had convinced my other half to use this stinking bin as they do benefit the environment and then we went out on thursday night in cork. All the bins near hillbilly's overflowing, rubbish everywhere doubt this is recycled.

Until this is made compulsory on a national level and is actually implemented I think its a waste of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

We have one of these and it's a curse to be quite honest but we don't have a problem with maggots or other creepy things thank god. It's just very smelly and inconvenient.

We have 2 brown bins though - one small one which we keep in the press under the sink and then a bigger one which is in the garage.

Those brown bags - do you have to purchase them or are they given free of charge? My dad has been using other brown bags cos he ran out of the ones they supplied and said you have to pay for more? This seems ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We have food waste buckets in the UK which are emptied on a weekly basis with no problems.

How often are the bins emptied? If it's every other week like the bins, then forget it!! It's a bloody health hazard, especially in the summer. It's bad enough putting out the bins on a fortnightly basis...

leahyl wrote: »
    Those brown bags - do you have to purchase them or are they given free of charge? My dad has been using other brown bags cos he ran out of the ones they supplied and said you have to pay for more? This seems ridiculous

You have to buy them, my parents had to order some more and it was something like 20 or 25 euro for 100 bags. Tesco also do similar ones on a roll for about 2 euro but I can't remember how many you actually get for that.

The bin is emptied every other week. Whoever thought flimsy paper bags were the best option for damp decomposing food waste needs their head seeing to - every other brown bin I've encountered in my life had biodegradeable plastic bags and was so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The ones I saw were just up the street from us. Odd. No use for them anyway, everything either goes down the sink waste disposal or in the compost bin.[/QUOT

Waste disposal units are to be outlawed by the EU.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Waste disposal units are to be outlawed by the EU.
    Any link to this? In any kind of modern waste treatment plant they should be beneficial to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The clear bags with the brown writing for mixed dry recycling? You can actually buy those individually or in small quantities from one or two outlets. Centra on Oliver Plunkett street sell 5 for €4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

The brown bags are a disaster. Anyone else beside country clean using these ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Any link to this? In any kind of modern waste treatment plant they should be beneficial to the process.

they're already banned for commercial premises, the food waste is overloading already overloaded wastewater treatment plants, and fatty food waste is difficult to treat.

According to some EU bull**** directive, we've to reduce the amount of biodegradable waste going to landfill, this is one of the means of achieving the target. Apparently.

john_doe. wrote: »
    The brown bags are a disaster. Anyone else beside country clean using these ?

Not that i've seen, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have country clean in the city and don't have the brown bin at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

My relatives in France had such a big problem with flies in their brown bin that they put a cheap fridge into the shed and keep it inside the fridge!!

They've much hotter summers though!

they're already banned for commercial premises, the food waste is overloading already overloaded wastewater treatment plants, and fatty food waste is difficult to treat.

According to some EU bull**** directive, we've to reduce the amount of biodegradable waste going to landfill, this is one of the means of achieving the target. Apparently.
    As far as I'm aware they're banned in commercial premises' (in Dublin) because kitchen staff had a tendency to pour oil down them. Isn't biodegradable waste generally recovered from modern treatment plants and recycled somehow? I'd like to read the directive if you can remember what it was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're banned because a lot of sewer systems can't handle the volume of food waste they produce.

They also don't want huge volumes of nutrient and fat rich food waste getting sent into sewage treatment facilities. It causes serious issues.

Also you can't just install a disposal into a typical Irish kitchen sink as they drain into a gully trap (drain) rather than having a direct connection into a sewer line as is the norm in the USA.

Those gullies can clog or leave food waste sitting on the top of the drain screen in your yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I was posting about these bins in the wrong thread. I just received my brown bin from Country Clean last week. Have not used it yet. 20 brown bags inside. Has anyone used them yet? Worried about food sitting in them for two weeks in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're banned because a lot of sewer systems can't handle the volume of food waste they produce.

They also don't want huge volumes of nutrient and fat rich food waste getting sent into sewage treatment facilities. It causes serious issues.

Also you can't just install a disposal into a typical Irish kitchen sink as they drain into a gully trap (drain) rather than having a direct connection into a sewer line as is the norm in the USA.

Those gullies can clog or leave food waste sitting on the top of the drain screen in your yard!

We have one...but it is connected to the sewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

As far as I'm aware they're banned in commercial premises' (in Dublin) because kitchen staff had a tendency to pour oil down them. Isn't biodegradable waste generally recovered from modern treatment plants and recycled somehow? I'd like to read the directive if you can remember what it was called.

not really in conventional treatment plants.
    Have a look here, cant remember the page number, re food waste. Apparently, local authority staff will be checking the bins eventually. Good luck with that!
    http://sustainability-ireland.com/magazine.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

We've had them since before Christmas (Country Clean).
    I can see that most people aren't actually using them. On the days when they're expected to be collected, which is the same day the general waste is collected, only about 1/5 of the houses in my estate have the little brown bin left out with the general bin.

Paper bags. What a joke.

Advertisement