Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New County Clean food bins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Yeah the same where I live. Only saw two houses with the brown bins out, the rest of us just had the domestic bin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

We had the brown bin when I lived in Ennis and it was a balls in the summer with the flies and maggots ( I had maggots with a holy passion) and I used to pour a bit of bleach in the bin and that kept the flies down.

We used any brown bags we had in the house, the ones the company sold were a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bone

We tried using the biodegradable food caddy bags from Tesco and they rejected our brown bin.

I hate the brown bin as it gets disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Has the truck a divider? I know some of the greenstar ones used to. Left side was rubbish and right side recycling or something. Looked odd to see them dumping it all into the one truck but it was divided internally to seperate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

they are a pain in the arse so they are, sick of looking at the bin inside. I am all for recycling but I just don't understand the food bin.. Have to keep the mini one inside as im afraid it would attract rats outside and tis just another thing lying around the house

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Has the truck a divider? I know some of the greenstar ones used to. Left side was rubbish and right side recycling or something. Looked odd to see them dumping it all into the one truck but it was divided internally to seperate them.
    I'm not sure if the truck had a divider. I'll have to keep a eye on it the next time there is a collection ( 2 weeks) or maybe country clean will reply to my email and correct me. ( they replied and it did have a divider see below)

the worst thing is having to clean out these brown bins as they have no liner and they don't get emptied properly . there is always some stuff in the bottom.

I think two weeks is way to long to be keeping food in a bin like this. When the weather gets warm again and the flys come back this will be a nightmare. is it done the same way in other countries?

It seems like a lot of people just aren't using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

In the UK, the slop buckets are taken on a weekly basis. Certainly they are in the area where I lived.

Bone wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the truck had a divider. I'll have to keep a eye on it the next time there is a collection ( 2 weeks) or maybe country clean will reply to my email and correct me.

the worst thing is having to clean out these brown bins as they have no liner and they don't get emptied properly . there is always some stuff in the bottom.

I think two weeks is way to long to be keeping food in a bin like this. When the weather gets warm again and the flys come back this will be a nightmare. is it done the same way in other countries?

It seems like a lot of people just aren't using them.
    I got the following from back from country clean. Looks like i got the cart before the horse. apologies to country clean

Dear ****

Our truck is converted to take both the landfill waste and the food waste in 2 separate compartments. The food waste is collected using a pump system. Unfortunately, some customer are disposing of non-recyclable materials in the food waste bins and this causes problems with the pump. When it occurs our driver contacts the office and we ring the customer to let them know how to use their food waste bin correctly. Unfortunately, when this occurs we cannot separate the food from the landfill waste. Our choice is to collect everything from the customer in the main body of the truck or to leave the food waste behind. Leaving the food waste behind is not acceptable to the customer.

We will continue to educate our customers as best we can over the coming months to eliminate this problem completely. In general people are resistant to change and it takes time to perfect the process. It is in everyone's interest to recycle as much as possible and reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.

Best regards
    On behalf of
    Country Clean Recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

They should have take these brown bins every week ... if they have divider trucks for general waste, surely the same principle would apply when they collect our recycling bins, and thereby we have weekly foodwaste collections?

Where are people purchasing replacement brown bags from, there doesn't seem to be a link on Country Clean's website to purchase them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Tesco and others sell compostable plastic bin liners.

Are they acceptable to use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

twigsirl wrote: »
    Where are people purchasing replacement brown bags from, there doesn't seem to be a link on Country Clean's website to purchase them?

We had to phone to get ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

pow wow wrote: »
    We had to phone to get ours.
    o the y charge for these bags does anyone know???only got a handful with our brown bin yesterday,and I can already see this is going to cause me the same problems raised in earlier posts in the thread :mad:

Got ours this week. There's a larger brown bucket and a smaller one for indoors. Can't see me using them.

I hate food waste in the house, and certainly do not want to put the bucket out to attract flies, maggots, rats and mice. At least with the grey bin, it's deep enough to eliminate the problem of pests, if not the smell.

To put out the waste bucket every fortnight especially with summer coming up, is beyond disgusting and very unhygenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I haven't touched it yet either in the last 6 weeks. Not sure how they can force you to use it.

Got ours this week. There's a larger brown bucket and a smaller one for indoors. Can't see me using them.

I hate food waste in the house, and certainly do not want to put the bucket out to attract flies, maggots, rats and mice. At least with the grey bin, it's deep enough to eliminate the problem of pests, if not the smell.

To put out the waste bucket every fortnight especially with summer coming up, is beyond disgusting and very unhygenic.
    Why they couldnt give a 140L food waste bin is beyond me,plenty of houses have them,those buckets will as you say cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The whole concept is very badly thought through. The brown buckets need to be collected every week. The paper bags are not strong enough to hold the food waste for 2 weeks and have started to disintegrate long before that.

I have now put my bigger brown bucket in the red bottle bin to keep animals & insects away. I don't use the indoor bin and put all food scraps straight into the bigger bin outside (I keep an old colander in the utility room and all plates get scraped into that and then straight out). I do have a compost bin so fortunately don't have a huge amount of leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

It will help if you can wrap the food in newspaper....it's a pain for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Has anyone had their waste bin refused for not using the brown bucket or for having food waste?

We got our 2 buckets recently and don't plan on using them. 14 days of food waste rotting in a bucket during the summer seems beyond stupid to me from a hygiene perspective.

Has anyone had their waste bin refused for not using the brown bucket or for having food waste?
    Nope. It sounds to me like a box-ticking exercise.. some Euro red tape you can be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I used to line the big brown bin with big brown bags, never were rejected, but that was a different company

• Advertisement

We got our 2 buckets recently and don't plan on using them. 14 days of food waste rotting in a bucket during the summer seems beyond stupid to me from a hygiene perspective.
    I partially agree with you however that happens in a waste bin in the same time frame anyway, but its a bin not a bucket thats required

Im half thinking of just using up the bags we have that we got free and sod it after that, I don't mind doing it but I do mind paying more for the bags and that I truly do not trust them to do this properly, as said are they actually putting them in separate areas of the truck or are they just been thrown in with the rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

They make a great cooler for beer, perfect size. Can't wait to bring it along to a friend's Good Friday BBQ.

I never really have any food waste, apart from what goes out to the birds, so I won't really be using the thing for its intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I partially agree with you however that happens in a waste bin in the same time frame anyway, but its a bin not a bucket thats required

The difference, for me at least, is that everything in the waste bin in put in a tied bin bag. This leaves the waste bin fairly clean during the 2 weeks and when emptied.

The food bucket has leftovers rotting and fermenting through paper and ends up sticking to the bin, never emptying completely and building up over time.

The difference, for me at least, is that everything in the waste bin in put in a tied bin bag. This leaves the waste bin fairly clean during the 2 weeks and when emptied.

The food bucket has leftovers rotting and fermenting through paper and ends up sticking to the bin, never emptying completely and building up over time.
    have yet to use the brown bin for collections,only got it on Thursday but if what you say happens then the brown bin will be going in the waste bin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

Anybody know how you go about getting more bags and are they free ???

Don't know where you get more brown bags from other than Country Clean, and no, they are not free...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

kcb wrote: »
    I haven't touched it yet either in the last 6 weeks. Not sure how they can force you to use it.

Not them but...
    http://www.corkcity.ie/news/publicnotices2014/Household%20Food%20Waste%20&%20Bio-Waste%20Regulatrion%202013.pdf

Yep you have to contact them think tis around 25 or something like that it was on the leaflet that came in with them

• Advertisement

Steve_hooo wrote: »

I'd say they are queuing up in the County Hall for the role of Enforcement Officer!

Advertisement