Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Leaving Cert English and French

Options
  • 22-08-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, im doing my leaving cert this year (2014). I need to get 580-600 points for my course but I dont know where to start. I need A1's in all my subjects. Does anyone know how to study for english and french.

If you have any other advice for my other subjects please tell me

my subjects are maths, english, french, biology, chemistry, business and economics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LFC Paddy

pappakhan wrote: »
    Hi, im doing my leaving cert this year (2014). I need to get 580-600 points for my course but I dont know where to start. I need A1's in all my subjects. Does anyone know how to study for english and french.

my subjects are maths, english, french, biology, chemistry, business and economics

english is my worst subject so you won't want my help there.

I'm alright at french just get someone to go through it with you, like a friend. I'm also starting to look at this website http://www.lemonde.fr/ helps a lot I can't understand all of it but it is helping me

Biology is by far my best subject (A1 average), just get marking schemes and exam papers and just do them for study.

maths just do the exam papers.

don't do the rest so I can't help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

pappakhan wrote: »

Biology
    is really about the past paper know every single one inside out higher and ordinary level and your pretty much on your way to an A.

No cutting corners cover all areas as you don't want to be stuck for choice if your going for the A1 grade.

I also advise covering the areas of Ecology, Plant Biology Genetics and Microbiology (Bacteria,Fungi,Viruses) and Photosynthesis and Respiration extensively.
    You will be surprised how far these topics will bring you in the exam.

Business

Key bit of advice! READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY.
    Does it say evaluate? Discuss? Compare? Contrast? Attention to these words are where the student will get an A1.

Answer all of this exam in bullet points. No paragraphs examiners hate them!

Answer each question using a simple formula
    STATE
    EXPLAIN
    EXAMPLE/LINK TO THE ABQ

Timing is essential in this exam stick to it rigidly!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

For maths, previous exam questions can be a lot different to what you might get (project maths now) so I would recommend you get a real understanding of the maths and keep on practicing.

Don't spend too long on it because you will fall asleep. Study maths first and do it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

For English, know your stuff!
    For the poets I did notes on each poem with things like rhyming schemes, use of metaphor/imagery/language etc, who the poem's for/about, etc etc. Once you have this down you can then get it all into your head by planning Qs, even if you don't write them out in full.
    For the comparative, use grids! Make up tables to compare them under the relevant topics (depends what you do of course but we compared them under things like social class/religion/male v female etc). In the questions make sure you make actual comparisons rather than narrating 3 texts back to the examiner. So get used to using phrasing like "in A, X happens while in B, Y happens","in A X happens, whereas in B...","similarly to C, in B we see..." etc.
    It's also of great value to read constantly, novels, newspapers, articles reports etc so you widen your vocabulary and familiarize yourself with different writing styles.
    Basically just get to know each of your topics inside out and be able to plan (at least) as many questions as you possibly can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Quiet Girl

For french, I would highly recommend doing a leaving cert prep course in france. I did one when I was doing my leaving cert and it really really helped me. I went during the easter holidays for one week and I ended up getting an a in my higher level french paper. I went with Stein study abroad, check them out it will really help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement