Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidy Towns Sligo

Options
  • 22-08-2013 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I noticed the "graffiti" on the Strandhill road at back of the Showgrounds with the faces has been covered up. Personally I thought that piece was a work of art. I think there are other parts of town that needed a lick of paint before that, shame really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

That now sounds like a blank canvas for all kinds of not-so-pleasing to the eye grafitti. I would agree that the previous work was indeed art. Shame its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Maybe it's being re-done???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

red sean wrote: »
    Maybe it's being re-done???
    doubtful. looks worse now as parts are painted white and others grey. then they leave some of the pointless rubbish thats on the walls up further. looks worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

It is actually being redone and Sligo Tidy Towns have a number of artists commisioned to repaint some sort of a mural on the wall. Read it in The Champion that the project was meant to start at the beginning of August but has been delayed for some reason.
    THERE HAS been much talk surrounding the mural close to the railway bridge on the Strandhill Road of late. The colourful mural, which was well-recognisable to passers by, was recently painted over.

Many were concerned that this piece of local art was lost. But fear not, the Sligo Tidy Towns committee is in the process of repainting it.

Damn digital edition won't let me link to it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Tidy Towns are doing a savage job in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

6781 wrote: »
    I noticed the "graffiti" on the Strandhill road at back of the Showgrounds with the faces has been covered up..

Massive Joseph Ndo mural going up hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Plazaman wrote: »
    It is actually being redone and Sligo Tidy Towns have a number of artists commisioned to repaint some sort of a mural on the wall. Read it in The Champion that the project was meant to start at the beginning of August but has been delayed for some reason.

Damn digital edition won't let me link to it properly.

Good to hear that. Still think its a pity that piece is gone but hopefully it will be replaced by something as good.

R_overs1 wrote: »
    Massive Joseph Ndo mural going up hopefully.

That would be class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

The Tidy Towns group are doing brilliant work and should be commended for getting on with it. They arrive and don't mess about.

I feel on this one they made a bad call, they may not have initially intended to redo the mural which may explain the delay. Perhaps they didn't realise how appreciated it was. I loved it and was disappointed to see it missing driving past.

I look forward to seeing more of their excellent work around our town.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

I personally know the people who did that mural. They spent a lot of time and effort in doing it. The cost of spray paint was around €1000 as it is special paint for the job, not car spray paint. The fact it was not vandalised shows that people had respect and love for it. Tidy Towns do great work in cleaning and making the town nice, but I think they made the wrong call on this tidy up project.

• Advertisement

What goes around comes around. I see in the Champion the new "mural" was defaced. I don't think the original which was a work of art compared to the new one was ever damaged?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

6781 wrote: »
    What goes around comes around. I see in the Champion the new "mural" was defaced. I don't think the original which was a work of art compared to the new one was ever damaged?

Never seen or heard about the previous one being defaced in any way and it must have been there for a decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the new grafitti may well improve it. simply not a patch on what was there.

Advertisement