Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Non-Smart, Non-Touchscreen Mobile

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

regress wrote: »
    Excellent question that goes to the heart of the matter. Dumbphone should have no Internet access. I would still like a dumbphone though with a good quality camera, maps and access to e-mail. Just don't. Want the twrtemptatiin of the Internet.

Nearly every phone though has internet access, it might be slow if using a non 3G phone but still a function so using that requirement might not be the best idea. This was point earlier, you can still get a 'smartphone' and use what you need from it, delete the access points if you wish so you cant connect.

From the OP its about build quality to me rather than features, thats why I suggested the two I did as they will last a decent amount of time. And they do the basics well while I have a battery that will last a few days and both can be gotten at a reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nokia just released the 515.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

mad muffin wrote: »
    Nokia just released the 515.

Link to the official blog announcement - http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/08/28/iconic-style-meet-the-nokia-515/

Looks really nice, aluminium body and a plastic keymat. According to the spec it won't have GPS. Other than that it looks like a phone the OP would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

The Nokia 515 does indeed look a lot like the phone the OP was asking for.

Looks like Nokia realized that there could be a market for a high quality feature phone.

Perhaps we have an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Before 2007 the 515 would have been the kind of phone I'd go for in A heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dhamma

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, the Nokia 515 is exactly what I'm looking for. Quality materials, good looks, Symbian S40 (basic talk and text, with a few extras). Can't go wrong! :)

I'll eagerly await its appearance on amazon or ebay.

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Would you use a Blackberry? The Q5 is out at the moment and they are a big improvement on the old ones with the BB10 operating system. I'm using the bigger Q10 at the moment and it's a lot more basic than the HTC One I usually use. My father even likes it and he hates anything too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Aidenwyatt wrote: »
    Does JCB Toughphone have a Micro SDHC/memory card slot?

Get to know amazing offers on Mobiles, Gadgets, News about Iphone, Android.
    Mobilecruze.com

Pity they would'nt update their site more often;).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Every phone is a dumbphone if you just turn off and/or don't use the 'smart' features. Disable mobile data, WiFi, GPS, don't sign in to any accounts, don't install any apps, and hey presto, you've got a dumbphone that can only call and text

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

28064212 wrote: »
    Every phone is a dumbphone if you just turn off and/or don't use the 'smart' features. Disable mobile data, WiFi, GPS, don't sign in to any accounts, don't install any apps, and hey presto, you've got a dumbphone that can only call and text

Buttons over touch screen.

/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RangeR wrote: »
    Buttons over touch screen.

/
    Smartphones can have buttons :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i am using a nokia 5800, it is near enough a dumbfone, i only use the call and text features, also it has a nice (for me) keyboard for ringing nos, also the keyboard for texting is large enough, the two times i used the maps i found them rather effecent, a holder on the car windscreed makes it easly answered while driving as it only needs a finger tap rather than a swipe, also it only requires charging twice weekly, btw i am well on the wrong side of 60, have bad eyesight and large arthritic fingers,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭CH3OH

for anyone interested in the 515
    Just received a Nokia 515 via Amazon.de and used Parcel motel via Belfast

I used the following seller ALB computer. I ordered evening of 24th Sep and received it yesterday

O2 have announced that they definitely won't carry the Nokia. 515. The other networks are still refusing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I don't think this phone will be for sale at all in Ireland...

angeline wrote: »
    I don't think this phone will be for sale at all in Ireland...

Well.Ireland is usually a few months behind advanced nations anyway but I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Only O2have said they won't carry it. Vodafone and Meteor are just sayinfg that they never heard of it and they don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Vodafone will be selling the 515 tomorrow, it's live on site now.

Advertisement