Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best phone "deal" for schoolkids

• 22-08-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi, probably been done to death but just looking for quick advice

Have a kid entering secondary school and we're delivering on a promise to
    let them have a mobile once that happened.

There seems to be lots of relatively cheap smart phones available, but what's the pay as you go scheme for a kid of 13 who will mainly use txts but need some call access also i.e. no net access req'd as we have several devices here in the house with that if they need to surf.

Any suggestions from those who've been down this road most appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

jrar wrote: »
    Hi, probably been done to death but just looking for quick advice

Have a kid entering secondary school and we're delivering on a promise to
    let them have a mobile once that happened.

There seems to be lots of relatively cheap smart phones available, but what's the pay as you go scheme for a kid of 13 who will mainly use txts but need some call access also i.e. no net access req'd as we have several devices here in the house with that if they need to surf.

Any suggestions from those who've been down this road most appreciated !

Same situation !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

If you're not pushed to get an ios phone or android phone you might check ZTE Open. It's the cheapest smartphone on the market (70-80 euro?) based on open system (firefoxos). However I'm not sure where to buy it at this moment - the ebay sale has ended (sold out).

Spec: http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_open-5320.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you don't forsee them needing to surf the internet then getting a smart phone is pointless. In fact at a time of boredom they will probably try to do some surfing and it will eat all their credit. If it is just for texting and the occasional call, get a dumb phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

PrzemoF wrote: »
    If you're not pushed to get an ios phone or android phone you might check ZTE Open. It's the cheapest smartphone on the market (70-80 euro?) based on open system (firefoxos). However I'm not sure where to buy it at this moment - the ebay sale has ended (sold out).

Spec: http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_open-5320.php

A brand new OS with very few apps/games for a 13 year old? And as their first phone? I've seen some weird things recommended on here but that takes the biscuit.

I can't think of a single reason you would buy this phone unless you're really into your technology and want to try out the Firefox OS as an early adopter.

It's also not the cheapest smartphone on the market, e.g. the Vodafone Smart mini for €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

EGriff wrote: »
    A brand new OS with very few apps/games for a 13 year old? And as their first phone? I've seen some weird things recommended on here but that takes the biscuit.

I can't think of a single reason you would buy this phone unless you're really into your technology and want to try out the Firefox OS as an early adopter.

I think we interpreted the OP post in different ways, but I don't want to steal the thread to explain my point of view. Anyway you're probably right that it might not be the best choice unless the kids are interested in computers / programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

syklops wrote: »
    If you don't forsee them needing to surf the internet then getting a smart phone is pointless. In fact at a time of boredom they will probably try to do some surfing and it will eat all their credit. If it is just for texting and the occasional call, get a dumb phone.

Hi,

I agree. If you don't want the kid to search online, buy a smartphone is contradictory.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I think the OP is just concerned about their child not using mobile data as it'll eat credit.

OP you could have a look at meteor's Nokia 520 offer for €99. My child's using a Samsung Galaxy Mini at the moment but for his birthday in two weeks time I've agreed to let him get the 520 if he puts €39 towards it himself.

He tops up every month with €5 and gets meteor to meteor texts for 15 days, with the €5 to do him for the other 15 days. My wife and I have free calls to his number then, so it might also be worth looking at what network you're on yourself with regard to free calls and texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I agree with the above posters. No point getting a smart phone for them, it's a complete waste of money.

You can get normal phones for e20, just go for one of these. These are much more durable too.

Advertisement