Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Access UCD

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey. Im applying to start a an access course in UCD this sept 2013
    Just looking to see is any one else going for it, whay ye think of it etc.
    Names Dan, 24 yrs old and Science and Engineering hopeful! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I did one n Maynooth just finished in May and found it brilliant, it was definitely worth doing and the year flew by.

I now have a place in general science thanks to it.

We did Maths computer science maths physics experimental physics computer skills and study skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

I did the arts one last year, i've heard great things about science access. The arts was decent presentation and getting key study skills. The folks in the access office were exceptionally helpful throughout the year.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Cool cool, thanks for the replies guys. How did ye find the classes? Was there a good mixture of ages, or was it all younger people or all older people?
    Ronano, Ive the interview on thurs day for it. It sounds pretty relaxed and informal? Or do you think I should prepare somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Yea Im going for the science access course with hopes of getting into envoromental science or zoology.

Question for the matures. How did you manage to support yourself going back to college from full time employment with bills and rent to pay? I really want to go back but I dunno how ill manage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Well I have a family and drove to collage so it wasn't a big difference on me, I was getting btea.

Mixed group of ages 50% between 25-30 then 50% 30-60 give or take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

lisar816 wrote: »

Mixed group of ages 50% between 25-30 then 50% 30-60 give or take.

You just made my day!
    As I am over 30 should I look for retirement options now or wait until I finish college... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

I'm starting this Sept in History and Politics. Is anyone else doing these, or did them last year? . I'm bricking a bit now as I didn't realise there would be an exam, I thought it would just be essay assignments. Has anyone any insights ?

My son is in UCD and thinks I'm going to crash his 'cheeky Tuesday nights' at the student bar !!

Im doing English and politics on mondays and fridays Boomchicawawa. I have every intention of going to the the student bar ha ;)

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Im doing English and politics on mondays and fridays Boomchicawawa. I have every intention of going to the the student bar ha ;)

Well you have to do your bit to keep the economy movin ! Best of luck with your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sariya

Hi boomchicawawa, i will be doing the Arts & Human Sciences this sep too , i had got an email from Thomond to attend an information evening on the 12th of sep, next Thursday i think is just to tell us more about the course etc.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

And to you ! Hopefully we'll sail through it. Will be there on Tues !

Ill be there on the 12th too! Should be fine! :)

It can't be as bad as the first day in Junior Infants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I did the course (Science & Engineering) back in 2008.
    Got offered my top 3 courses.
    Graduated this year and started my first job 2 weeks ago. :)

Best of luck!

Great to hear a success story ! Well done to you on achieving yr goal...

hey, how did everyone find the induction talk on thursday night?

I would have been at a different one to you...I was at the History/Eng Lit - Politics/Sociology talk. It was really good and informative and you get the feel that you won't be left to fend for yourself. There is a real feeling that they want you to succeed, which is a comforting feeling if your slightly apprehensive like me. Hope yours went well too !!

Advertisement