Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveying

Options
  • 22-08-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    Just wondering about this course, and would you recommend this 4yr course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

MCostelloe wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering about this course, and would you recommend this 4yr course

Just heading into 3rd year of this course.Depends what your background is and what intersets you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MCostelloe

I would like to be hands on, involved on the ground, so to speak, would not like to be behind a desk all the time

I would like to be hands on, involved on the ground, so to speak, would not like to be behind a desk all the time

Well there is 2 type of QS's.A PQS(Private Qs) and a CQS(Contractors QS).A PQS would spend 95% of their time behind a desk,a CQS would be out on site now and again.Have you worked in construction before?

No just finished my leaving, have had an offer of QS and Construction Practice, I am torn because of QA being the degree offer, would don't think I would be happy behind a desk all day, I would like to further my studies in some way that I would spend time on sites :)

No just finished my leaving, have had an offer of QS and Construction Practice, I am torn because of QA being the degree offer, would don't think I would be happy behind a desk all day, I would like to further my studies in some way that I would spend time on sites :)

Is that a level 7?Unfortunately there is very few sites anymore,you could apply for vacant places for a Construction Management degree but it is very hard to get work in Ireland as a Construction Manager,there is work in Ireland for QS's.

If you were ever thinking of working abroad,there is work in Construction Management.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice, have taken it all on borad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mynewstoday

?..would not like to be behind a desk all the time

I am sorry, but that is the wrong advice to give to someone abut quantity surveying. It's utterly wrong.

20 years ago, yes, but not today. I am a QS, and I sit at my desk Monday to Friday, 8:00-6:00 and I get out on site maybe every 6 weeks for a day.

It is a good job, but it is a desk job.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Hi,

Just wondering what the salary is? Also, I've heard there is there other options out of it other than actual working with a construction company.

Thanks and sorry about the bump

Hi,

Just wondering what the salary is? Also, I've heard there is there other options out of it other than actual working with a construction company.

Thanks and sorry about the bump
    Graduate QS's in Ireland are getting anything from 25k a year to start off with.From just a QS degree you will be limited enough as to what you can do within a construction company,if you done an add on course for Project Management,you could work as a Project Manager.

Advertisement