Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale to Real Madrid - world record fee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Seaneh wrote: »
    Video of that incident.

I'd say Zizou is half tempted to register for the odd game still.

Still the best player on that pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm surprised even from a PR point of view that zidane doesn't hop in for a one-off game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Scored on his debut :cool:

Kaka + Ozil + 40m >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

he was shit apart from that goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,381 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he was shit apart from that goal.

to be fair to him, he was far from fully fit, and still scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nice dive today for a penalty.

The English language commentators on their game today were embarrassing. It was clearly a dive and they are in full agreement that it was a deserved penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he was very poor last night vs Juventus
    looked lost on the pitch

MD1990 wrote: »
    he was very poor last night vs Juventus
    looked lost on the pitch

didn't see the game lastnight, but a spanish friend of mine who is from madrid was telling me that alot of fans are getting p*ssed off with him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭klose

didn't see the game lastnight, but a spanish friend of mine who is from madrid was telling me that alot of fans are getting p*ssed off with him already.

He was fairly cack alright. Hard to see where he gets his game with ronaldo and di maria being better wingers and isco/modric being better cams.

Bales best return last season was when he played as a second striker/cf. Ancelotti dosent play that system at Madrid though

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    He was fairly cack alright. Hard to see where he gets his game with ronaldo and di maria being better wingers and isco/modric being better cams.

Bales best return last season was when he played as a second striker/cf. Ancelotti dosent play that system at Madrid though

Exactly, sure Ancelotti never even wanted him in the first place.

Regarding the Madrid attitude to him though, I'm not surprised. As was stated earlier they gave Modric stick last season too.

Sure they even gave Zidane stick when he first arrived too. When they sign a "galactacio" they expect an immediate impact.

Madrid fans haven't taken to him yet

Can't blame them either. They got rid of a better player and paid 40million odd on top of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Said it before, and I'll say it again, Madrid didn't need Bale. For me Isco was their big signing of the summer.

I predict Bale will be back in the EPL for the start of the 2015-16 season. He's just a normal fish in the big pond now.

He should have stayed in the EPL, at the likes of Utd or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Madrid fans haven't taken to him yet

Can't blame them either. They got rid of a better player and paid 40million odd on top of it

I'd take Hugain, Ozil and 20m over Bale, tbh.

Nearly everyone said it at the time, this deal was madness.

Madrid fans are expecting a Ronaldo like return from a guy with only 1 season with 20+ goals, and it was always unlikely to happen. Bale was never going to be able to hit 1:1 this season for Madrid, and he may never be able to do it full stop.

Messi and Ronaldo are truely in a different class, the former even more so again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Given he's been injured and unfit I don't expect we will see much from Bale before Christmas to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd take Hugain, Ozil and 20m over Bale, tbh.

Anyone who wouldn't is an idiot to be fair!

I'd take Özil over Bale straight up. They can keep the 40m as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Özil is twice the player Bale is and has been for a few seasons now even when Bale hit his hot streak.

I said it at the time that Bale has shown nothing more on the wing than that he's only a little over average and needed to be played through the middle to get the best out of him, Isco is probably on par with Bale through the middle though so the only place for him to play is out right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just can't understand why they bought him. They didn't need him at all and he is worth nowhere near the price paid and he never will be. He wasn't even the best player in the premiership. Ronaldo was a bargain at the price he went for, I know the fee was amazing but he has paid it back in spades.

And to replace ozil with him is just lunacy.

Suarez would have been a far better by for them, but since when did Madrid buy what they needed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think ye are being a bit harsh on a player who has been injured, wait till the seasons over before writing him off, I think he will suit Reals counter attacking down to the ground in the long run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Bale deal was ridiculous.

Doesn't mean he wasn't fantastic last season and a bad start this season is down to injury rather than ability.

Non Baleievers should at least wait for him to do something that proves the idea he isn't up to it before shouting "I was right".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

rob316 wrote: »
    I just can't understand why they bought him. They didn't need him at all and he is worth nowhere near the price paid and he never will be. He wasn't even the best player in the premiership. Ronaldo was a bargain at the price he went for, I know the fee was amazing but he has paid it back in spades.

And to replace ozil with him is just lunacy.

Suarez would have been a far better by for them, but since when did Madrid buy what they needed.:rolleyes:
    Well with their trophy history I would say they generally got it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The CL is the holy grail for them, that is the trophy they want to win every year, remind me the last time they won or even came close to winning it?

For a club with pracitcally unlimited funds and can seduce any player in the world into joining them, they have failed spectacularly in the last decade.

Its a circus simple as and not a very well run one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭klose

You could argue for all their galacticos and huge expenditure they've had a fairly poor return since the turn of the millenium (when perez took over as president?)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

No champions league in 10 years. With players bought like Figo, Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo, Cannavaro, Ruud, Sneijder, Robben, Kaka, Alonso, CR7 and now €100million on Bale.

For the money spent they have a terrible return. They won nothing last year which is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Non Baleievers

You can hand you man card in at the desk on your way out.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Knex. wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo are truely in a different class, the former even more so again.

Tell that to the British Media who have flirted with the idea that Bale is in and around that standard.

Now once hes fully fit he might grab something close to the 20 + goals a season but he'll never come close to being at the same level as the above players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It would annoy me that spurs did so well out of this deal (basically financed a new squad) but for the fact that without this özil wouldn't have come to arsenal. Thanks spurs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

It would annoy me that spurs did so well out of this deal (basically financed a new squad) but for the fact that without this özil wouldn't have come to arsenal. Thanks spurs!

Or you could say Arsenal gave spurs 42m to buy Capoue, Paulinho, Eriksen, Chiriches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Or you could say Arsenal gave spurs 42m to buy Capoue, Paulinho, Eriksen, Chiriches

I'd rather have spent the 42 million on Ozil then buying those 4.

None of the above would play in the current Arsenal XI and thats even with the injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paulinho is massively overrated. He got rave reviews for Brazil in the Confederations Cup. I thought he was poor bar his knack to get goals.

I'd rather have Ozil. Although Eriksen looks like he'll be a fine player

Flamini > Capoue
    Ramsey > Paulinho
    Cazorla > Eriksen
    Kosh > Chiriches
    Özil >>> Everyone

Flamini > Capoue
    Ramsey > Paulinho
    Cazorla > Eriksen
    Kosh > Chiriches
    Özil >>> Everyone

I don't know much about Eriksen, but going by his first few games with Arsenal i'd consider him better then Cazorla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't know much about Eriksen, but going by his first few games with Arsenal i'd consider him better then Cazorla.

tumblr_maxge4e2XJ1rxmai6o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Better than our best player last season? Dream on. I think Eriksen looks like a really good little player, but Cazorla was magnificent last season and to say Eriksen is better based on 4 or 5 games is ludicrous at best. But then I'd expect that from someone who thinks that Juan Mata isn't creative...

1053687_o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He has only started once and 2 sub appearances, foolish to be calling him a failure. Same applies to neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Fine by me. Those players won't win them anything.

If you genuinely think that, then I'm not sure you know who Cazorla is...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24646023

Have to laugh at this. BBC claiming Bale and Neymar have yet to justify their fees, and imply both have disappointed to an extent. Don't know how much better Neymar could've been thus far, and they only half heartedly manage to critique him. It's quite obvious they couldn't bring themselves to write an article solely questioning the €100 million man, so dragged Neymar into it too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24646023

Have to laugh at this. BBC claiming Bale and Neymar have yet to justify their fees, and imply both have disappointed to an extent. Don't know how much better Neymar could've been thus far, and they only half heartedly manage to critique him. It's quite obvious they couldn't bring themselves to write an article solely questioning the €100 million man, so dragged Neymar into it too.

Well Neymar has 3 goals in 13 games. Pedro has been better this season and didn't cost €50million or whatever. Bale has been injured so to early to judge. We'll see how they play in El Clasico

But of course Messi & Ronaldo have been better than anyone this season. I'm sure in time Neymar & Bale will prove their worth, but they will never reach the heights of Messi/Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Real aren't going to see the best of bale until they start playing him through the middle. And that won't happen anytime soon.

Well Neymar has 3 goals in 13 games. Pedro has been better this season and didn't cost €50million or whatever. Bale has been injured so to early to judge. We'll see how they play in El Clasico

But of course Messi & Ronaldo have been better than anyone this season. I'm sure in time Neymar & Bale will prove their worth, but they will never reach the heights of Messi/Ronaldo.
    He's also got 6 assists, so I think just saying 3 goals in 13 games is somewhat unfair.

It's beside the point anyway. I didn't mean to compare the two, rather to highlight the beeb's unwillingness to say anything negative about Bale without saying something else (in this case, "look, Neymar is struggling too!") to mitigate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not saying people are wrong in saying it, but it's just funny how in almost 2 months there was almost a collective agreement that Spurs had a better squad than Arsenal, now, due in no small part to Arsenal's amazing run of form, people seem to be of the complete opposite opinion. Just an observation, before someone jumps down my throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »
    Not saying people are wrong in saying it, but it's just funny how in almost 2 months there was almost a collective agreement that Spurs had a better squad than Arsenal, now, due in no small part to Arsenal's amazing run of form, people seem to be of the complete opposite opinion. Just an observation, before someone jumps down my throat.

Oh did you not get the memo? Arsenal are now the best squad in the world due to the signing of a certain German from Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Oh did you not get the memo? Arsenal are now the best squad in the world due to the signing of a certain German from Madrid.

If you say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KingdomYid wrote: »

Well they signed a player who would improve pretty much any team in world football. Ramsey playing to his potential is huge too. They are pretty stacked in creative midfield. Still lacking in some positions but with Flamini coming in and Ozil it looks twice as good as before. Ozil is a serious gamechanger and with City, Chelsea and United underperforming could pay serious dividends and paper over some of the cracks which are hugely less apparent now, at least for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Guardian saying Bale is starting in the Clasico as part of a front 3 with Di Maria & Ronaldo .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Guardian saying Bale is starting in the Clasico as part of a front 3 with Di Maria & Ronaldo .

Bale through the middle or Ronny through the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bale through the middle or Ronny through the middle?

They didn't say .
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/25/real-madrid-gareth-bale-el-clasico-barcelona

• Advertisement
Advertisement